VHL Team Overalls (NHL 20 O.R.’s explained)

DarkSpyro

A while ago I asked myself a question "what would our VHL team Overall Ratings look like if we were in an NHL game?"  To find this out I just had to write down all the overalls for each player (separated on their respective rosters) and punched in the equation that EA uses on their NHL games, to find out what all of our overalls would look like (such as offence rating, defense rating, goaltending rating and overall team rating). Let me break it down into the steps I did:

1. Find out the Average rating of the team

So let’s assume we have 12 players on the full roster, each rated at 80. To find the average we use this equation:

(80x12)/12=80

To find the offence rating we would only use the forwards in this equation:

(80x6)/6=80

Same for Defence:

(80x4)/4=80

And Goaltending:

(80x2)/2=80

2. Make adjustments accordingly if any players are above or below the team average.

Using the same example as above, every player is rated 80 and same for the team rating so we don’t need to change anything. All the overalls would be 80 for the team in every category (off, def, goa). Now let’s assume we have a team with 9 players at 80, 2 players at 81, and 1 player at 82.

((80x9)+(81x2)+82)/12= 80.33

Now we need to adjust the rating slightly as we have 3 players over the team average (average is 80.33, 2 players are 81 and 1 player is 82). To do this we add up every rating point that is above the average. So here it would be 4 points (9 players are tied with or below the average, 2 are 81, which is 1 point above the average each, and the 82 is 2 points above the average).

We then take this number and divide it by the amount of players:

4/12=0.33

3. We add both of these figures together:

80.33+0.33=80.66

Since the value is above 80.5 and below 81, we round down. Even if it was 80.83 we would still round down to 80.5, never up.

I hope this explains my math and I hope you all found this interesting. Enjoy all of our team’s Overall Ratings and maybe this will give each team a new identity.

(370 words)

Edited by Spyro