Kaiser Still Adjusting to North American Game

CF Punk

cut.jpeg

Saskatoon, SK – Playing over 4,000 miles away from his hometown of Berlin, Germany, Saskatoon Wild right winger Felix Kaiser will be the first to admit that he still has a lot of work to do before he can excel at the next level.

"I was kind of nervous before the game, but once you get out there and get your first shift, it's all good," Kasier said. "Unfortunately, we couldn't win the game, but it was a great experience for me."

Though Saskatoon Wild fell to the Houston Bulls 8-0 during Kaiser’s VHLM debut, the 6’5”, 214 lbs. right winger was beaming from ear to ear during the post-game press scrum. 

"First games only happens once in your life and it's obviously a dream come true," Kaiser said. "It's something you've dreamt about a long time, since you were a kid. It's a special feeling. I had a lot of fun out there."

Often projected as a prototypical power forward, the Berlin, Germany native ended his first outing with two shots on net, one hit, a slashing minor and a disappointing -2. 

“I’d be lying if I said that adjusting to the North American game wasn’t a challenge,” explained Kaiser. “but I’m confident that my decision to sign with Saskatoon will offer me the best chance to succeed here in the VHLM.”

Though already relatively quick for a player his size, Kaiser remains committed to improving his skating and work around the net with the Saskatoon Wild.

"I'm just trying to improve every day, just by hard work," he said. "I don't think I've changed my game style that much because that's what my game's about. I enjoy the physical side of the game.

That's how I want to play hockey, and that's why I think I've been successful so far."

Though he was held off the scoresheet during his debut, Kaiser remains focused on increasing his production.

"I want to shoot more," he said. "I've always been physical player who isn’t afraid to try grind the puck to the net, but I believe there’s another dimension to my game that I’ve yet to figure out."

As the Wild sit dead last in the VHLM and are coming off a thrashing at the hands of the Houston Bulls, Kaiser and his teammates look to improve their 11-39-4 record and 26 points. 

"I don’t think it’ll take us long to find our game and get comfortable as a team out there," he said. "Some may have already had us counted out, but we're still looking to make a run for it this year. I believe we're good enough to do that."

Saskatoon’s next game will take place Feb. 19th against the second place San Diego Marlins and, despite a rough debut, Kaiser is welcoming the challenge. 

“I can’t wait,” explained Kaiser “Whether I can throw a big hit or if I’m fortunate enough to find the back of the next, one way or another, I’m going to make my presence known.”   

500 Words

Edited by CF Punk