Not in the HOF: Evgeni Fyodorov

Victor

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Victor said:

Do Evgeni Fyodorov next.

Or actually, I could do Evgeni Fyodorov next.

Also thank you @Beketov for this clarification, which makes it much easier given I went through the whole league in my Media Spot for this theme week. So people have made good cases for Tyson Kohler, who might make it as soon as this year, and Bobby Digital, who will never make it. I could say why I don't think Holik or Louth should make it again, but that's a bit boring.

So how about this blast from the past. Evgeni Fyodorov. S22-S28. 504 games, 705 points, 1.40 points-per-game (tied for 51st all time, and 10th among non-HOFers). None of those other non-HOFers made it past 6 seasons.

You may have heard of Fyodorov from a 30 in 30 article about Nick Barr, the man who moved us from invisionfree and disappeared off the face of the earth. Or you may have seen him when scrolling through the VHLM top scorer award, which he won with an obscene still-standing record of 186 goals and 272 points in S21.

Fyodorov had the perfect VHL build and that meant he remained a point-per-game player even through inactivity and depreciation. He hit 85 points for his career low in his final season, despite barely updating after his sophomore year. He was no slouch in the playoffs either, with two 14-point campaigns in cup-winning seasons with Calgary and Davos. He was quite frankly a natural talent. He still got a respectable 730 hits as well, pretty much the same as Alexander Chershenko, my favourite player of my own who was really "only" 170 points ahead of an inactive.

I won't die on this hill. Fyodorov's long-time teammate Mathias Chouinard finally got in after I made a case for him, but that was slightly easier - better award case, more activity, no sudden departure while setting up a new site and GMing Riga. That said, who knows, maybe Nick just passed away? He never actually resurfaced.

In that 30 in 30 article, Jardy and Kyle argued that Fyodorov would have been a Hall of Famer had he stayed active. You can make that argument about Kronos Bailey today. The thing is, Fyodorov might just be anyway.

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Corco said:

I may try to create a HoF Monitor/Formula to try and find players like this, hopefully we may be able to discover some all-time snubs (statistically at least).

I don't think it's a particularly long list tbh. Most people have been on the ballot, just fell off at some point (like Kellinger, Milo, Szatkowski Jr.).

But would be good to try to rank the best players not in the HOF. I think I tried once and there's just too many.

Just now, Victor said:

I don't think it's a particularly long list tbh. Most people have been on the ballot, just fell off at some point (like Kellinger, Milo, Szatkowski Jr.).

But would be good to try to rank the best players not in the HOF. I think I tried once and there's just too many.

Very true, I could also make it attempt to project a currently active player's chances as well, that would be pretty cool.