Something's not Quite Right...

ColeMrtz

As the S70 regular season comes to a close I am left with a very confused perspective on my player, Jerry Wang. Cutting out his incredible hot streak at the start of the season, Wang had an incredible 15 points in 67 games. Despite minimal contribution however, Wang posted the best +/- in the league (+27), 5 more than the next closest player rookie phenom Erik Summers and notorious mascot/forward Gritty who both held a +22. So what gives? 

To start we have to look back at who played with who, as this should give a bit of context as to how one develops their +/-. I'm going to look at the lines being ran at the end of the season and operate under the assumption that they were used all season, despite knowing this is entirely untrue. Wang played on the wing alongside Michael Gary Scott and Shawnomir Jagr. On the backend Brock Louth and Kevin Low also played with this line. Summers played big boy minutes in Helsinki on the first D-pair alongside breakout star Guillaume Fontenette. The forward group that ran with him was made up of Kronos Bailey, Julian Borwinn and Erik Draven, a force to be reckoned with. Gritty centered Dan Bailee and Mat Tocco on the second line, backed up by Vladmir Pavlov and Oskar Lagesson. 

What does this tell us? With Wang it was a tale of really abusing the circumstance. Vancouver is one of the best teams in the league on paper, and while Wang didn't have the talent (or TPE) to produce, he sure was on the ice with the leagues elite every night. Louth and Low take up the 2 and 3 +/- positions among defensemen behind Summers, and were both closing on 60 points. Jagr tied HHH for the most points in Vancouver with 80, and MGS put up a nice 69 as well. When you look at that, it sort of make sense. Something still doesn't seem right, however. See Summers and Gritty both have a substantial TPE edge over Wang, Gritty well past the 500 mark and Summers closing on 600 himself. If it were merely a case of being in the right place at the right time, I struggle to see how a sub 500 TPE player would get that much of a benefit.

AND THAT MEANS ITS ORIGIN STORY TIME BABY! THATS RIGHT! If you mean to tell me that Jerry Wang could pull this shit off on his own, Scott (hehe) free, with no outside help, I'd laugh at you. Haha, I'm doing it right now. Because THATS RIDICULOUS. ITS BLASPHEMOUS, HERESY EVEN. Jerry Wang is cashing in on his days in Halifax, cursed by that Satanist cult. Wang can be surrounded by success, so much success that he leads the league in +/-, but he can have NONE OF IT. Gone are the days of Wang putting up a respectable amount of points, far less putting up almost league high numbers. He is doomed to live the most mediocre, unimpressive life one could live, be the most average hockey player ever to grace the VHL. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Wang is forever flaccid.

527 Words