Recruitment vs Retention

Berocka

Recruitment is this week's doubles week task. However I don't think recruitment is a big problem in this league, I think the step that needs to be looked at is retention. 

I think this is where the attention should have been focused on over this week. Below is a bit of a list with how I think retention could be improved.

1: Members should be greeted immediately and I think that should apply to GMs and AGMs. This is one thing I tried to do but didn't do as well as I should have. If the player is going to fill a role in a team there are a lot of GMs but if there is no longer room on the team then no one messages the player. This can be discouraging to the player joining and won't help them stick around.

2. Player creation should be overhauled to include the amount of available spots for each position. For example if each team has 6-8 Wingers on their team a player should be warned that they will face extremely restricted playing time, the same should happen if each team has a starting goalie. This should hopefully get players to fill the gaps in the system and help players get some more playing time.

3. I have talked about this previously but the ability to make a team selection page after player creation this let's a player immediately get on a team. The player gets the instant gratification of being on a team and immediately gets in the team's discord. This helps remove the need for GMs to be online 24/7. 

4. The possibility of adding a buddy system where there is a secondary discord/forum section where we have a retention team. These people will be the first line for new creates with assistance for earning and applying tpe. This helps players have a quieter space to ask for assistance without having the big pile on that is the vhl discord.

5. A more recent and easier to follow how to get started section. I know we all remember back to starting out that it is a huge learning curve and it is very steep. I feel that the how to get started is done by people who are comfortable around the league. Maybe it would be more beneficial to have newer players assistant with the creation of the posts/videos.

6. Ads and recruitment needs to either be more focused or a better representation of what the league actually is. As great as it is having 30 new people sign up if only 1 stick around there is something we need to look at to keep them around.

Recruitment I believe is doing a great job in my eyes but we need to look at our retention rate, I think that improving our retention will help a lot of issues in the league. This is just one man's opinion take it with a grain of salt as I have no idea what I'm really doing.

I'm curious to know other people's ideas on retention and how it could be improved.

Change how waiver system works, I get why there’s a cap but the way it works how is when we get near the end of the season players simply won’t get offers because GMs are either out of claims or want certain positions. Rather than a season cap, make each team get 2-3 claims a week, it will keep teams from dominating the market while also letting players be claimed through the entire season. This would help streamline the process as far as getting players on teams faster as GMs would be less afraid of using their last few waivers, since they reset at then end of the week.

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, Berocka said:

the same should happen if each team has a starting goalie

We do actually have a warning for limited space in regards to goalies that we can turn on but not the other positions.