Making AGMs a Legitimate Position

So, I was thinking not to join in this conversation but here we go. 

I have previously stated that I don't think an AGM position is necessary. I had an AGM for my first ever season as a GM but all it did to me was make me less interested in the job I had. For that reason I am a believer in a simple idea - if you need an AGM, you shouldn't GM. 

There is another question of importance - what if the role AGM is more of an advisory role, a role that represents a recognition of excellence but not a job?

If a GM wants a person that will be an advisor, that he can go to and ask his opinion of matters relating to trades, drafts and such, I am strong supported of it. Think about it as someone who GM can depend on, a person who engages in the LR and is a right hand man with no real job description. GMing wasn't that time consuming. In 5 seasons while I was in VHLM as a GM of Houston, I only once felt overwhelmed - draft time, press conferences, media spot, VSN off-season and University exams at the same time.  I understand that I was not the best or the brightest of the VHLM GMs and yet, I think that job is easy enough for one person. Sure, it doesn't mean that others do not spend a lot more time GMing than I did. After all - Locker Rooms like Mississauga and reign of Gustav is still remembered with a bit of awe. 

So, I stand with this - do Assistant GM's deserve a pay or should they be given tasks that are required of GM? No.
Do Assistant GM's have a role to play in 2020 VHL? Yes. 

I think some of my original point of this post was lost (that I was hoping to have other people help come up with ideas of how to legitimize the job) but I think that goes to show that it isn't really as easy as I might like to believe. 

Let me be clear: the reason I was advocating for a change to AGMing was that I sincerely do believe that the more we can create structure within the league that makes people feel like they are part of an actual sports league, the cooler this site will be. I may be wrong in how this particular point works towards that, but that is my belief.

So @Beketov, while I agree you don't need a fancy title or color to your name, I do think providing that to our members does have its place, of making them feel involved and integrated in the league. And while I do see your point about this mindset getting our of hand, I think there is a reason it exists. If it weren't an issue, it wouldn't happen. 

That being said, I also understand and am coming around to the idea that maybe tempering this impulse would be good, as there still needs to be a love for the league not tied to some special awards or positions of power. That's something that people like you have that has made this league a much better place, even if you are pretty much omnipotent right now haha.

Also a lot of other people have been weighing in, and I think that while I may love for AGMs to have legitimate duties and be a standard role, in the current state of the league there is absolutely no way to do it in such a way that all GMs would accept. That much has been made clear. 

4 hours ago, FrostBeard said:

There is another question of importance - what if the role AGM is more of an advisory role, a role that represents a recognition of excellence but not a job?

This point has somewhat struck me. Not making me abandon my ideals, but at least somewhat helped me reorient my mindset around it, and accept its current state. I still feel the league would be better if AGMs were a standardized, legitimate position, but if that isn't going to happen (which I don't see it, not right now,  unless someone actually brainstorms in this thread and comes up with something great haha) then this is a good way of treating the position.

I think @ColeMrtz brought up a really good point to this; although it may get memed (my words not yours), the position is a real one, and is treated like it should be. AGMs (especially in the M) are treated as a leader and second hand man, and that can be reward enough in some way.

And at the end of the day, I am happy being an AGM. I don't think I would even like to have more to my job in its current state, even for pay (I don't really need the TPE.) Which is counter intuitive to this post, but thats because I think my preferred managerial position is advisory/supportive. I don't think I really want to go further than supporting my boys in the league at large and helping out newcomers.

Cheers to everyone for their comments; at the very least this has helped me learn about what a lot of you have put into the league and what its given you, and I think that's great!