Brief Analysis Of A Random Trade Pt 1.

Tagger

I've been stuck for content ideas for my media spot this week so I figured I'd just do this, use Random.org to pick out a random trade recorded in the VHL archives to analyze:

This week's is a Season 62 mid-season deal between the Helsinki Titans and the Seattle Bears, a deal which I’m lucky enough to be able to provide some solid context to given that I was on a Riga Reign team that was in a similar phase of their own rebuild to the Bears:

To:sea:

(S56) C - Jack Shephard

To  :hel:

S63:sea:2nd

S63:sea:3rd

S64 :sea:3rd

Team Context:

Seattle

Starting a rebuild at the same time as Riga in S61 (both had 3 first round selections in that draft, two of those players taken with those firsts were current Hall of Famers Podrick Cast and Matt Thompson), the two teams were vying it out for the 4th best team in the VHL heading into the start of Season 62. Seattle would wind up winning the battle in the S62 playoffs, although Riga won the subsequent S63 draft lottery.

Helsinki

Heading into a rebuild after a long playoff stint and having lost lots of their personnel from the previous season to retirement.

Players/Picks:

Jack Shephard

Was coming into S62 off a career-best 102 point season but was in his second season of regression and hadn't updated in a month and a half prior to the trade. Went a point per game over the S62 regular season but led the league in goals through the S62 Playoffs. Would leave the following season in Free Agency to join Riga.

S63 SEA 2nd

Pick was Jesse Wilson, a very solid defenseman for the Helsinki Titans and a cup winner for them in Season 66. Coincidentally, the Bears picked a defenseman four picks earlier in the same round in Mountain Thunderfist, who Wilson would comfortably outperform both in on-ice production and TPE gains.

S63 SEA 3rd

Pick was Wlodzimierz Zajackowski. Looked like he could be a very solid under the radar pick, but went inactive shortly after Season 65 started.

S64 SEA 3rd

Pick was Sven Hitz. Accrued a pretty solid 400 TPE for a third rounder in that era and produced a lot of hits in his three seasons in the VHL, but ultimately his physical build saw him register very few points. 

Verdict:

I think this trade's success verged on Shephard sticking around for one more season with Seattle, given that it wasn't realistic to expect him to guide a Seattle team with one VHL quality defenseman to the Continental Cup in Season 62. Given that I don't think there were cap reasons for Shephard's entry into FA (Could be incorrect, but given all but two of their main roster were on rookie deals, I'd be surprised if that were the case) and that Helsinki got a solid player in Wilson (and wound up being better than the defenseman Seattle took earlier in the same round), I'd have to say Helsinki got the better of this deal.

Edited by Tagger

• Commissioner
11 hours ago, Victor said:

All part of the ploy to make Thompson catch up to Cast.... but he couldn't!

Got me 22 points in only 9 playoff games. Just needed to happen sooner in the season. How’d you do those playoffs again?

• Admin
36 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Got me 22 points in only 9 playoff games. Just needed to happen sooner in the season. How’d you do those playoffs again?

You really gonna bring up playoffs in your Seattle stint lol

• Commissioner
38 minutes ago, Victor said:

You really gonna bring up playoffs in your Seattle stint lol

You gonna pretend yours are much better?

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Victor said:

cup champs baby

I got my cup ?‍♂️

It wasn’t with Seattle sure but it’s not like I didn’t get one.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Victor said:

Thompson is devil incarnate ?

You just can’t accept that for once I made a better player than you. You’ve got me beat on every other one, just let me have this one.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Beketov said:

You just can’t accept that for once I made a better player than you. You’ve got me beat on every other one, just let me have this one.

Hail Satan Everyday

• Admin

I'm just waiting for the day another player rivalry comes along so we can stop talking about Cast and Thompson.

Although HOF articles would be nice before everyone forgets about them.

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, Victor said:

I'm just waiting for the day another player rivalry comes along so we can stop talking about Cast and Thompson.

Although HOF articles would be nice before everyone forgets about them.

We’ll just have to keep bickering about them until the HoF articles come around.

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, Victor said:

Cast vs Thompson in S120:

giphy.gif

In b4 we allow unretiring of past players to allow people to chase previously unattainable records at the cost of insane depreciation.

*Should clarify for those still paying attention, this isn’t something we are even remotely looking at.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Beketov said:

*Should clarify for those still paying attention, this isn’t something we are even remotely looking at.

I think multiple posts about Cast and Thompson are enough to scare anyone away, this is definitely a safe space now.

So when are we implementing the first-gen tax when they pay us 10 TPE per season to not get banned?

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Victor said:

I think multiple posts about Cast and Thompson are enough to scare anyone away, this is definitely a safe space now.

So when are we implementing the first-gen tax when they pay us 10 TPE per season to not get banned?

Per season? You’re thinking far too small. 

First Gen Weekly Cap: 12*

*Gross pay only, taxation of 10 TPE/week to the OBC is required of all first gens.

This and the AAR trade kick started the rebuild for Helsinki. At the time a 2nd was considered pretty low value for contenders, so thanks to the recruitment team for bringing everyone in when they did