Thank You Mississauga

joeg

Thank You Mississauga

Late last week, as the Ottawa Lynx hoisted the Founders Cup, VHLM players like myself were released from our teams as the focus turned from the playoffs to the upcoming season 72 VHLM dispersal draft. As my first season in the VHLM and possibly my time with Mississauga comes to an end, I would like to take this time for a brief reflection on my first season in the VLHM, my time in Mississauga, and what I believe my future may hold. On a personal level, I have participated in other Sim Leagues before, but none of them have felt like as much of a community as this one has. That is not to rag on other sim leagues, but simply to say what a special place the VHL is.

When I first joined the league, within 24 hours, then Mississauga GM @Berocka with what the Hounds could offer me. They talked about what their season was looking like, and how I could benefit from joining the Hounds. Within 48 hrs, I had accepted my contract with then assistant GM @DoktorFunk. The fellas in the locker room immediately made me feel welcome and a part of the team. Through all of the highs and lows of the season, and there were certainly many of them (especially lows), our locker room full of people I had known for less than a month was always a positive place to be. On my first day on the Hounds, we chatted about my criticisms of my hometown of Hamilton, Ontario. A Hounds Alumni from Hamilton was even around to bash on the city! It was neat to find out that there were people in this league from not just my hometown, but near my neighbourhood. In a league that reaches all over the world, it was funny to find someone on my first day so close to me.

One of the unique things about my first season in the league was the revolving door of GM’s. AGM @DoktorFunk left to become the Ottawa Lynx GM, navigating them to a championship! Congrats friend! You were the one to help show me around the league and locker room, plan out my build, and connect me with the locker room. GM @Berocka, you contacted me within the first 24 hours of signing up, and your straightforward and honest approach was very appealing to me, helping me feel like a part of the team before I even joined. I am always happy to see you around the locker room or website. AGM @Zetterberg made a seamless transition take over for @DoktorFunk and was always counted on for a laugh. Finally, current GM @ColeMrtz, when you took over towards the end of the season you provided a steadying hand on a team in a brutal losing streak. I saw some of my best performances under you and grew as a player with you in charge.

All of the folks mentioned above are just a few of the ones that have had an impact on me this season. There are far too many teammates, Hounds Alumni and league staff who have also impacted me this season. This just goes to show the family that is the VHL. To my Hounds teammates, good luck to you all wherever you end up. 

I could not have picked a better place to begin my VHL career. Thank you Mississauga, from the bottom of my heart.

-Joseph Gainer

WC/577