Is Logan Laich A Bust?

Devise

As Logan Laich was drafted to the New York Americans fourth overall, a lot was speculated about the bright future for this power forward. In the VHLM he showed he could play the body, he could score goals and that he could play a solid two way game. His real only misgiving was him crossing the edge and getting himself in the penalty box. 

In a season and some change thus far part of the game that Laich was translated to play has shown up, and a crucial part of it has not. Laich has played 93 games in the VHL and he has only mustered 9 goals and 10 assists in that time. While his 414 hits are more than impressive, and he does have 48 shots blocked as a forward, some analyst and scouts are left wondering if Laich can actually make it as a star in the VHL. Was his hype all for nought? Is this once thought scoring power forward going to be relegated to nothing more than a big body grinder? 

The message out of the New York Locker room and management has been positive for Laich. Team mate XXX has called Laich an unsung hero of his hockey club. Saying he possesses the leadership skills to keep the team rallied, and that his brand of play is how you need to win. Fans love the big hits and the persistent effort and will to win that Laich has shown. Coaching staff comment on his versatility, as the forward switches to defense to play minutes in the back end on the penalty kill, a penalty kill that is one of the top four in the league. Even his presence on the power play screening the goalie holding the puck in, pressuring defenders. Laich does a lot of the small stuff that simply doesn't go onto the score sheet. 

General Manager Chris Miller was asked the question going through the media's mind, is Logan Laich a Bust? He answered "Certainly not.  Logan was not drafted to be an offensive juggernaut.  He brings great intangibles to the table and plays as physical as he possibly can.  While people may not realize it, he creates a lot of room for his linemates.  His offense will develop in time, but even at this stage he is a solid contributor for our club." 

It seems many of the team have faith in Laich to be whatever player they need him to be, and see his offensive game improving. But the doubters still have a voice. In the VHL what matters most is goals and assists and if even in the early stages of his career Logan can't even muster more than a few points here or there, will he ever be able to transform into even a point per game player? Too many perceived high ceiling Laich had has fallen. Yet Logan himself seems to be absolutely loving his role on the team. Laich could always be described as a team first player, and when he was asked his responses focused very rarely on himself.

"Am I a bust? Is that really the question your asking me? I mean we are the best team in the league right now. We have the top goal scorer, the top point getter, we got a goalie playing on fire. We got one of the best defensive players maybe in VHL history, you know Conner Low though. If you want my honest opinion I think you people pay way too much attention to individual statistics. Sure I enjoy putting the puck in the net, getting on the score sheet. Being out there with the boys and knowing I helped contribute to a win is great. But there are more than one way to contribute to a win. I mean we have scored the second most goals for in the league. Does my lack of goal scoring really matter? I go and do what this team needs me to in order for us to keep on winning, and we are a confident club right now. Mostly because we know this isn't the highest level we can play and we won't be happy until we can win that Continental Cup."