VHL Films

Beketov

• Commissioner

Kendrick's topic got closed, being a PT and all, so I wanted to start a discussion topic for the possibility of a VHL films project in order to continue the discussions that we started.

Feel free to check out the original topic (link below) and add to the discussion.

http://www.vhlforum.com/index.php?/topic/8543-vhl-movie-trailer/#entry78971

• Commissioner

It was suuuuuuuper impressive, but I can't help but imagine it's a lawsuit waiting to be filed. XD

That was a mock trailer, I'm talking making something ourselves, likely a doc as I discussed in that topic.

Using NHL footage is obviously out of the question. I know how much the rights for that stuff costs. This isn't to discuss creating a film from NHL footage though, it's creating a brand of our own.

That was a mock trailer, I'm talking making something ourselves, likely a doc as I discussed in that topic.

Using NHL footage is obviously out of the question. I know how much the rights for that stuff costs. This isn't to discuss creating a film from NHL footage though, it's creating a brand of our own.

Ooooooh I see. I was less worried about the NHL footage than I was about the mock "Paramount" style production logo. I would think they are more aggressive than the nhl.

• Commissioner

Ooooooh I see. I was less worried about the NHL footage than I was about the mock "Paramount" style production logo. I would think they are more aggressive than the nhl.

You'd be amazed.

As for the logos and general style, I wasn't going to say anything for risk of hurting Kendrick's grade but I'm 99% sure that stuff is all from the trailers presets inside iMovie. Kendrick can correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, we wouldn't want copyright stuff in general. You're getting into messy territory when you start dealing with rights.

You'd be amazed.

As for the logos and general style, I wasn't going to say anything for risk of hurting Kendrick's grade but I'm 99% sure that stuff is all from the trailers presets inside iMovie. Kendrick can correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, we wouldn't want copyright stuff in general. You're getting into messy territory when you start dealing with rights.

In fact that Paramount mock would not overstep any copyright boundaries as that is a iMovie feature. So if there was an issue you'd have Paramount screaming at Apple and not us. That is of course if we are thinking of selling it, which we aren't.

Sharpe is right, a lot of those presets are in iMovie but a member is still required to edit (in this case I had to actually remove the file and turn it into a manual project). Also, NHL clips can be used as long as they are not uploaded by the NHL and its partners for resale. The main question is, are we gaining profit off this? If so we can't touch any of that stuff.

• Commissioner

In fact that Paramount mock would not overstep any copyright boundaries as that is a iMovie feature. So if there was an issue you'd have Paramount screaming at Apple and not us. That is of course if we are thinking of selling it, which we aren't.

Sharpe is right, a lot of those presets are in iMovie but a member is still required to edit (in this case I had to actually remove the file and turn it into a manual project). Also, NHL clips can be used as long as they are not uploaded by the NHL and its partners for resale. The main question is, are we gaining profit off this? If so we can't touch any of that stuff.

I think it would be more interesting to go without NHL material. B-Roll stuff could be tricky but it would give the VHL more of an identity. I feel like if we used NHL stuff it would just make this feel like a sports fantasy league or something which it isn't.

My current vision, as explained in the other topic, is a mini-doc series of like 4 episodes. Interviewing members, founders, etc. I just can't quite figure out the logistics of it all. I know I have a high end HD camera, tripod, lighting, mic, etc but I know most people don't so getting matching quality isn't exactly easy.

Doing shorts branded under the VHL would be fun too. Again though, with so few members ACTUALLY knowing each other the challenges are apparent.

I think it would be more interesting to go without NHL material. B-Roll stuff could be tricky but it would give the VHL more of an identity. I feel like if we used NHL stuff it would just make this feel like a sports fantasy league or something which it isn't.

My current vision, as explained in the other topic, is a mini-doc series of like 4 episodes. Interviewing members, founders, etc. I just can't quite figure out the logistics of it all. I know I have a high end HD camera, tripod, lighting, mic, etc but I know most people don't so getting matching quality isn't exactly easy.

Doing shorts branded under the VHL would be fun too. Again though, with so few members ACTUALLY knowing each other the challenges are apparent.

Yeah the big issue there is having people get in front of a camera and relying too much on videos to come pouring in. The one thing thats easy for us is to gather sound clips from different members, but no face would be attached. Then it's almost like the video is useless haha

• Admin

I know in a typical documentary they show at least briefly the person talking, but most of it is voice over something related. More of that would probably be more enticing to more people.

You could also tinker with a visual podcast style. Movie/video production is a headache, but a slideshow (essentially) with voiceover is less of a problem.

• Commissioner

You could also tinker with a visual podcast style. Movie/video production is a headache, but a slideshow (essentially) with voiceover is less of a problem.

It would also be basically pointless. A slides show would basically just be some stills (of what on top of that) with VoiceOver. That would be kinda lame if you ask me.

We have an interesting concept here that would work well on "film" if we have the footage.

@Victor Interviews are key, usually it only cuts away to prove a point or hide a cut (a lot more often than you'd think). If we had enough people with decent footage though, combined with enough people getting recordings, we could have something though. Would just need B-Roll and for people to have decent audio quality.

Edited by Beketov

What about video from a game like NHL 14? Edit a team with the colours/close as possible logo and player names.

Is that allowed?

It would give a feel that we are an EA NHL 14 League though, which we are more advanced than that!

Yeah agreed with Kendrick. I have no issues contributing to this, getting in front of a camera, providing voice. I have a HD quality webcam I used to do video podcasts with. 

If were to get some mock up jersey's that people who are willing to get in front of a camera with and look like a player we could likely edit something in as well. Like someone in the "locker room" in a say Cologne Express jersey drinking some water or getting prepped for a game. I think if you were to intercut some of that stuff with very few NHL clips, like say a goalie making a save if your highlighting a goalie. You could even use the CHL stuff as well to make it feel less like a total NHL rip off.

It all really depends on what you'd like to do, how regularly you want this to be, what you want to highlight. I don't think if the video is mostly all NHL players/looks there is anything wrong with using that to showcase stuff. I do think doing what Sharpe suggested with more sit down stuff, documentary style is interesting. But I also think hype videos showcasing series, players, rivalries also has a place, and for that you'd likely use more NHL footage. But if we are using footages of a play, we could easily record our own commentary over it and edit out the commentary in it. Would give it more of a VHL feel. 

Besides as Kendrick said, we aren't using any of this for profit so we can't get shut down for copyright stuff. 

Edited by Devise22

Exactly. People get confused over rights. A majority of the stuff that has rights on it is because they don't want re-sale or pirated sales of their exclusively owned product. If that wasn't the case and they have rights on everything so no one can use it, you would see:

1) My videos being taken down.

2) Game film not being able to be distributed in many sports.

3) User videos would never exist.

We can integrate NHL highlights and such in. My original idea has not even been discussed at all really (mainly cause I haven't released it haha).

• Commissioner

Exactly. People get confused over rights. A majority of the stuff that has rights on it is because they don't want re-sale or pirated sales of their exclusively owned product. If that wasn't the case and they have rights on everything so no one can use it, you would see:

1) My videos being taken down.

2) Game film not being able to be distributed in many sports.

3) User videos would never exist.

We can integrate NHL highlights and such in. My original idea has not even been discussed at all really (mainly cause I haven't released it haha).

If the NHL felt the need to pursue it they could have the content taken down because they do own the rights. Gaming falls slightly different because the user is partly shaping the content.

Fact is they won't because it's not worth the legal battle if someone contests it. For example though, if we monetized the content get could legally take it down because we would technically be making money on it.

• Commissioner

Pc EA NHL series where always easily modded. I remember adding WHL teams to the last one they made. Could easily to that with VHL

Wasn't the last PC version of the NHL games in like 08? Not only would we have the issue stated above with using an NHL game but we'd have shit graphics on top of that.