Pre-draft interview with Patrik Laine

Laine

Introduction:

As you may know, the VHL draft is tomorrow night and we were able to catch up with first-round prospect Patrik Laine in Finland for an interview before the draft and we had quite a few questions for him. Here is what he had to say:

PL98900965_PatrikLaineShopping.jpg.1734608b1e77b1d28e6b7d5b28ff41b0.jpg

How has the training been in Finland:

PL: You know, it has been good. Miss going to the rink with Minott and Jiggs every morning but in Finland I am around a lot of friends and family so I get to have some fun while I am busy preparing for next season.

We have heard rumours on you going as high as 8th overall, what do you think about that?

PL: Well, it certainly is an honour to be touted as such a high pick in the VHL draft, but I gotta remember just because I am drafted doesn't mean I can take my foot off the gas. If anything, I have to push the pedal all the way down as there are hundreds of other players trying to be better then me which will help me play at my best.

You announced last weekend you are hoping to make the jump to the VHL right away, what thinking went into that decision?

PL: Yeah, I put quite a bit of thought in and talked over it with my family. I thought it was the right move in my mind because if I am playing against tougher competition in the VHL, I can improve faster and it would be great to be in a VHL locker room.

How many teams have you maintained steady contact with up until now?

PL: I have talked with quite a few teams. I won't say any names just for the privacy of GMs. It's been good talking with some of them and getting to know them but I know I will only go to 1 team in this draft.

What have you been developing lately?

PL: I've been improving on my physicality and shooting the most. I want to be able to use my frame to steal the puck away and with a quick release and one-timer, I want to have a dangerous shot from all over the ice.

Will you be in the building for the draft?

PL: Yes. Me and my family will be at the draft venue for the big event tomorrow. I'm excited but nervous at the same time and can't wait.

613026723_PatrikLainePlayoffs.thumb.jpg.aeb633d299a086e34e5e00aec5a25d1d.jpg

Patrik Laine (pictured above) after scoring his first VHLM goal.

Who do you think will pick you?

PL: I have an idea, but I will keep that to myself for now. You will find out tomorrow.

Rumour has it that after the draft, you are going to train with Tappara. Can you give us any information on that?

PL: Yeah. I'll be training with Tappara starting on Thursday after the draft. I played U-14 through U-18 there and me and the director are pretty good friends so he thought he could help me train with their U-20 team and also give them some tips and tricks on how to play better. I love helping out young players and training so it is a win-win for me. As soon as I heard the invite, I was all for it. I will only be out there for a little while though as training camps start soon.

Okay, last question. What do you think is the best part of your usual hockey game day?

PL: I love making memories with the fans. I'll tell some kids near the glass to stick around after the game and I'll sign sticks and pucks for them. Autographs on jerseys, you name it. I also gift some pucks away in warmup. I love making memories with the young fans. To all of the young hockey players out there, you can be a pro too if you just put your mind to it.

People mentioned: @JigglyGumballs @DreMin15

(655 words, 3235 characters written by @PatrikLaine)