VHLM Insider: Miami's Playoff Journey w/ GM Ricer

Bobo

At the beginning of the year, Miami started off on the wrong foot. They were losing more than winning. However, general manager Kris Ricer thought otherwise, "When it comes to making the playoffs, that is my expectation every season. I want to be competitive. I have to admit I did have my doubts as the season went on but the team managed to pull together and get the job done." 

With this newfound confidence and swagger, they began to win more and more. Sure, they ran into a few speed bumps along the way, and had one intense rivalry with the Philadelphia Reapers. But apart from that, they were a well oiled machine for most of the season. As the S74 season came to a close, they had just barely squeezed into the playoffs, beating the Reapers in the fight for the final playoff spot. Now, there was a greater obstacle in the way, the Halifax 21st, "When we made the playoffs, my reaction was pure excitement. You see we were actually competing for that spot as the season ended. The Reapers were also playing for that spot so every game we playing had meaning to it. As for our matchup we fully expected to play Halifax so mentally the team was prepared."

With their playoff matchup secured, the Miami Marauders had made the playoffs for 3 seasons in a row. This is so special because they have never missed out on the playoffs; a feat that many teams cannot say they've done, "That is a unique stat for sure. One that I am surely will diminish in time. My personal philosophy is to make the playoffs every season. I’d rather not be a bottom feeder team tanking for lottery picks. It’s no fun for the players or for myself and the M is supposed to be fun and having fun retains members. This season is a great example our team had a ton of fun becoming competitive and playing for the 8th spot. We now have many members who have become much more active and seem excited to be continuing their careers."

For the Marauders, the regular season is behind them, and now they focus on their path to the championship. There will definitely be some great roadblocks and obstacles in their way;  some coming in the form of teams. Ricer, however, is not focused on how far they go, he's focused on how they do in each series, "I have zero expectation on how far we are going to make it. Halifax is a great team and all I can hope for is that the team we have can make them earn every win they get and that we can steal a few a long the way so that everyone knows us making the playoffs wasn’t a fluke."

When these playoffs come to a close, then comes the draft. For Miami, a lot of their draft eligible players are what made their team so good this past season. But, they do have some great core pieces, on top of the draftees they will select in the Dispersal Draft, "I have a lot of core pieces who will still be here next season so they will be playing an important role in our success. Through the draft I will round out our roster with active members and if need be we will sign any waiver players next season. I think the draft will be key as it is a very deep draft this season. I can’t wait it is going to be a lot of fun."

It's been a pleasure interviewing Kris Ricer, GM of Miami, and I can't wait to see what the Marauders can do next season and the seasons to follow.

TAGS----------------------------

@Ricer13

CAPTAINMARIMOTO.png.705b5a3f73e45e586e643fdba14d4221.png