On the Block: RIG/CGY

Laine

WU2GfAKeo6-tJxxA62dvCVGB9rVSSl2q02c7C8FV

Quite a few trades have happened in the last couple days with the offseason now in full swing. As the VHL trade market opens up, let us take a look at a few of the deals that have happened so far.

--------------------------------------

RIG Acquires:

S76 TOR 2nd

WAR Acquires:

S75 RIG 5th

RW Jeffrenomitsu The 3rd

Instant Analysis: This really depends on what happens with Jeffrenomitsu. He has potential to be a top forward in the league, but just hasn’t been able to adjust to the VHL quite yet. If Jeffie can find his footing, this trade can possibly go south for Riga. However, they have a great drafting record so I wouldn’t be surprised if they turn that 2nd round pick into a VHL regular. Riga is rebuilding and they need to stockpile picks so this trade is great for them. However, if Jeffie can’t find his footing, this trade goes even further south for Warsaw. This is a high risk, high reward gamble for the Warsaw Predators, but I’m all for it.

Trade Winner: TBD

----------------------------------------------

RIG Acquires:

S75 PRG 1st

PRG Acquires:

C Pengu

S75 MAL 3rd

Instant Analysis: This is a well constructed trade for both franchises. Riga acquires a 1st round pick to aid in their efforts to rebuild, while Prague gets a serviceable center in Pengu, who is heading into his prime and a 3rd round pick to boot. I don’t really see how either of the two teams lose here. They both give up what they want, with the trade not being too small or too big.

Trade Winner: RIG and PRG

------------------------------------------

RIG Acquires:

S75 SEA 2nd

S75 SEA 4th

LW Rocket

SEA Acquires:

C Kyl Oferson

Instant Analysis: This trade once again works out for both teams. Riga adds a 2nd and 4th to their draft stockpile, and adds an up and coming winger in Rocket. Meanwhile, Seattle gets a nice piece to add to their push for the Continental Cup with Kyl Oferson coming back the other way. Although, there is something that tells me Riga could have gotten more. Oferson has 3 straight 30 goal seasons, and hit 40 in the last 2. He also had 100 points this previous season, topping his career high of 94 from the year before. I think Riga could have gotten at least a 1st instead of a 2nd and a 4th, but with the way they draft, they’ll still find good talent at those picks.

Trade Winner: TBD

-----------------------------------

RIG Acquires:

S75 CGY 1st

S76 CGY 1st

S75 MOS 2nd

S75 MAL 2nd

S75 MAL 3rd

S75 VAN 4th

S75 NYA 4th

S75 CGY 5th

S75 CGY 6th

CGY Acquires:

LW Patrik Tallinder

D Defenz Mann

S76 RIG 1st

S76 RIG 3rd

Instant Analysis: Oh my word, this is a huge trade so we have a lot to go through. The main centerpiece of this deal is Tallinder. Calgary gets him packaged with  Defenz Mann, who is a serviceable defenseman along with Riga’s 1st and 3rd round picks next season. I think at this point Calgary knows that Lafontaine will be gone soon, so they made this deal to attempt and get him a cup. Riga’s return though, oh my goodness. They pretty much get Calgary’s entire board of picks for the S75 draft along with their first next year. This deal makes it so Riga has 3 first rounders and 4 second rounders in the S75 draft. That is a lot of picks for this draft, and they get an additional 1st next year. Currently, I believe Riga runs away with this trade based off of the value of both sides. However, if Calgary manages to get a cup or two out of this deal, it works out for both sides.

Trade Winner: RIG

--------------------------------------------

This was a complicated series of trades, but it all ties back towards Riga. Riga did a great job through all four of these trades to stockpile picks and future assets for their rebuild instead of holding on to their players and falling into a fringe playoff contender over the next few seasons. I think with the three 1sts and four 2nds they set themselves up with for the draft, they’ll be a fun team to watch heading into next season.

- VSN Writer PatrikLaine

Edited by PatrikLaine

3 minutes ago, PatrikLaine said:

TOR Acquires:

This was Warsaw.

4 minutes ago, PatrikLaine said:

I think Riga could have gotten at least a 1st instead of a 2nd and a 4th, but with the way they draft, they’ll still find good talent at those picks.

GM's are usually trying to not pay first round pick for pending FA unless they're 100% sure they will sign that player. So I guess I'm fine with this return.

What a trade day! Pretty exciting to see where Riga goes with all of these picks, it looks like one of those monumental days that can drastically shape where the franchise is going to go for at least the next 5-10 seasons. Especially considering how many picks they have in next years draft as well. 

10/10 article btw!