Hunter "Over the moon" about VHL draft results

dshervill

With the VHL draft come and now gone; the Prague Phantoms look to have gotten their man in Braxton Hunter, the young forward from Canada was selected by Prague 72nd overall. Prauge is definitely going to be putting the league on notice next year as they are starting to make that transition away from their older core to bring in younger players such as Hunter's teammate in Saskatoon Silas LeFriend as well as the talented forward Dominic Gobeil. 

Hunter was ecstatic when I spoke to him on the phone; 

"I'm in awe, I'm over the moon! I can't believe that I'm going to Prague! I was in the middle of a workout when my phone started ringing. I couldn't believe it when I looked at my phone and saw an area code from Europe. I was thinking Helsinki was giving me a call, but to hear Prague on the other line I was even more excited. I am really at a loss for words, I have been all day!" 

Prague definitely had a strong draft highlighted by the players mentioned above. When I reached out to GM Diamond about Hunter he had the following to say:

"Hunter was a great pickup at that point in the draft and seems to have loads of potential. It might take him an extra season in the M as compared to our other draftees, but once he's reached the bigs, I fully expect he'll be a key contributor for us. Long term I fully anticipate Hunter carving his name into Phantoms history."

A pretty bold take from GM diamond about the young forward, the potential is certainly there for Hunter but the real question is will he capture it? In a recent press conference with the Saskatoon wild Hunter mentioned that he was going to be "working out" during the draft so it seems as though Hunter knows that he has to be willing to put in the extra work to make sure he can make it and be productive in the VHL. Only time will tell whether Hunter becomes a Stud or a Dud. 

From The Prague Post this is Jan Novak. 

Edited by dshervill