Three TOR prospects looking ready for VHL.

Peace

Although the Legions' prospect pool isn't as deep as other teams, I would absolutely be the first to argue that it is loaded with franchise talent. I am absolutely confident that at numerous prospects will accomplish many great things with the Toronto Legion, and the Legion benefiting from a strengthened roster from their healthy S75 draft class. Let's take a look at the three prospects that'll be making the VHL next season, and potentially even compete for the top rookie award. 

D - Jolly Green Giant

Jolly Green Giant was drafted second overall by the Toronto Legion after GM Peace sent numerous assets to London in exchange for their native pick; the trade itself was a hot topic on a few VHL podcasts, with nearly everyone pointing towards the London United winning the trade, but typically very little thought put into the future considerations for the Legion themselves. Jolly Green Giant represents a massive improvement over what was the defensive depth Toronto had... two regressing defenders, an inactive defender, a legendary legacy, and an otherwise modest top pairing. 

The simple fact was this: It wasn't sustainable. There was no way Toronto could continue to improve on D with how tight the free agency and trade market had been. The only other solution was to dump the aging D core for some picks, extensively scout the draft, and make up for the positional needs with rookies that can grow with the still young Legion forwards. In addition to what I said above, Green represents a significant piece of the future, and is absolutely projected to be Toronto's top defender after Anigbogu begins to regress. 

Couple Giant with Kaberle... and you've got a lock on D, both of those players will comfortably pair with one another on the top defensive unit. I'd reckon the only person in this universe able to pick that lock apart would be 'The Lock Picking Lawyer' but this just might be one of the rare nuts he just can't crack. 

D - Scotty Kaberle

The real truth behind the Giant - Kaberle pairing isn't who will be the top defender for the Legion, it'll be which one of them terrifies another team the most, and that is an internal competition Toronto would welcome with wide open arms. The goal isn't to make another team shit their pants, but it is a byproduct I'm sure both players wouldn't mind, the goal is to completely dominate every zone of the ice when they're on the ice. Kaberle was drafted eleventh overall after the Legion moved up to ensure his selection, knowing that the Riga Reign were most likely going to target the young defender, and there hasn't been any regret from the Legions' management team following that decision.

Kaberle isn't just the second piece to the puzzle, he's a critical piece to it; offensive defensemen have had a pretty good track record with the Toronto Legion, so I'm confident he'll perform remarkably well, and continue to do so for many seasons. I anticipate a cup or two, and will honestly target more, as they'll be growing while Hextall still has some competition left his his now aging bones. As Kaberle develops so will the Legions' window of competition with him on the first defensive pairing. 

Having two top defenders I personally classify as 'franchise' gives the Legion some breathing room. If someone broke it down as Killinger and Magnum for Giant and Kaberle straight up, I would have accepted back then just as much as I would accept right now for numerous reasons. 

LW - John Callahan Jr

Where to start with Callahan Jr... oh I know, how about what the attractive qualities he offers as a prospect? I have a few examples; let's talk about McDagg's retirement last season, and I see Callahan Jr as a quality prospect that can grow to similar or better capabilities; we've got an inactive Gainer, and Callahan Jr can quickly overtake Gainer; Callahan Jr is a good depth piece for a team that could realistically run into cap problems as the team develops into heavy minimal salaries; and frankly he's more ammunition we can toss at another team in a quest for victory. 

Callahan Jr is likely to join a very dangerous forward core with some serious offensive potential, but I'm going to be honest. Other than eventually replacing Gainer in the lineup, it's going to be difficult for him to crack a meaningful spot on the roster dominated by Merrick, Strauss, Sens, Sunderbruch, Weiss and Gainer himself. The only way to crack the top six is to essentially replace one of those six players, and we've already mentioned with player that should be. 

Nevertheless he will be a top six player -- should he continue to improve as a prospect -- and will land in a top six position as early as S77 barring no major trades or significant free agent signings. 

Review

Nice write-up, good to see someone look after his teams prospects like this and special shoutout to my teammate Jolly Green Giant. Really like the writing style of this as well but the layout could use a little more effort, couple of little mistakes in there and no pictures or any other elements to spice it up.

Rating 8.5/10

Review:

As one of the prospects listed above it's very satisfying to see my name up there along with Jolly Green Giant and Kaberle. Those two guys are unbelievable talent and to be mentioned in the same breath is an accomplishment in itself. As for the overall writing in the article it was outstanding and a very fun read. Whatever role I need to play in the Toronto's offense is fine with me as long as we get W's.

10/10