my update for this comment got denied so i am making a whole new thread for the exact same comment so that i can get the 6 tpe i asked for

fishy

I understand that the goal here is to kill two birds with one stone: increase forum activity and make the GM job more "prestigious" in a sense by forcing GMs to produce team-specific content.

However, on the other hand, this post has been up for an hour and both current and ex-GMs have basically expressed that producing the kind of content you're proposing wouldn't be sustainable. I think they're right - forcing people to write media spots is a great way to fast-track member burnout, just like Quik pointed out. I also think that whoever mentioned the equivalence of forced MSs and career point tasks was right on point. A lot of people on this site already produce content for the TPE: not to really expand their writing abilities, not to roll up with a groundbreaking idea, not because they enjoy writing. I write 550 words on Sunday night, and I get my TPE. I'm active, I'm doing what I need to do to earn at the level I want, and I call it quits. That's not a bad thing, especially considering that I'm still pretty engaged with the league.

To add on to the concerns, though, I suppose I can't quite understand why team-specific media spots would be the best option. The point of the VHL is to have fun. That's why we're all here. I'm not here to win or create the best fake player; sure, those are obviously things that make the league more enjoyable, but I think that we all agree that that's not the whole purpose. There are GMs creating content that isn't team-related that the community (including their players!) loves to see. Look at 3PPAO - I'm probably biased because it's one of my favorite podcasts produced for this site - but you have two VHL GMs and one VHLM GM making league-related content that makes sense for them. They're having a good time and demonstrating to their players one great way to be involved with the league, which is an underlying expectation of GMs in the first place.

And what's wrong with graphics? Plenty of GMs and AGMs have made player cards (or whatever the hell those things are called), and that makes folks feel like part of the team. That's great. That's what we're aiming for, right? I think that, if this idea were to ever be instituted, you would absolutely have to expand it to all kinds of point tasks.

That being said, I don't see a reason why we should be requiring people to produce content when most of them 1) are already producing and sharing content on the forums and 2) don't feel like a team-specific article/graphic/podcast is the best way for them to enjoy the league. One of the great parts about the VHL is that you get to interact with the entire community, not just your team. That means players and GMs outside of your franchise!!! By limiting content to team-specific subjects, you're risking alienating each franchise, which completely defeats the purpose. There are plenty of great things that have and will be done to create a full community that is balanced with team spirit.

As long as GMs are doing their actual jobs, including having a good time, then they're doing everything they need to be doing.

Edited by fishy

• fishy changed the title to my update for this comment got denied so i am making a whole new thread for the exact same comment so that i can get the 6 tpe i asked for
1 hour ago, fishy said:

As long as GMs are doing their actual jobs, including having a good time, then they're doing everything they need to be doing.

This. I think what the main thing missing in that thread (although touched on a few times here and there) is that the VHL is supposed to be a fun community. As long as the GM's do their main duties and aren't driving away members completely from the VHL, I don't see any issue. Plus personally, I think it's extremely evident when people are forced to do something, definitely when it comes to media spots, and that's not fun for either the writer or reader.

Just like your player, if you wanna go all out and max cap and do all you can then go for it, but as long as you don't go inactive and forget about your responsibilities then it's all gouda to me.