Looking for Opportunity in Toronto

Toast

Dawson Back to Work
Legion sophomore looking for turn-around season after many hours of practice through the off-season

Toronto Maple Leafs Begin Return to the Ice for Phase 2

TORONTO, ON — With the S78 regular season right around the corner, Phoenix Dawson and the Toronto Legion are preparing to make another stand to show the VHL what they are made of. 

With the announcement from the VHL that there will be a temporary two-tier salary cap for S78, the Legion were able to bring in some star power with Erik Killinger joining the defense for the season and Jon Webber filling out the roster for the forwards. The only remaining question is to find out what this will mean for the younger forwards on Toronto hoping to make an impact during the season.

In the case of Phoenix Dawson, the young center has been hard at work since arriving in Toronto. With the effort going on in practice and in the gym, the forward is now above 500 practice hours which is quite the improvement but it still leaves him on the outs with a stronger group in front of him. It’s expected that Dawson’s ice time will be limited to a lower line like in the situation with Webber as management monitors to see if they can improve over the season. 

The challenge ahead for Dawson will be to find results on the ice that shows he deserves further opportunities to see more ice time. Following a rookie campaign that didn’t see him get consideration for rookie of the year let alone even scoring in the top 10 for rookies, Dawson is going to need some better results. Following the work through the off-season, it seems Dawson’s game has strongly improved on defense which should help when it comes to making some highlight passes to his teammates. 

“I’ve been honest when I say I’m not happy with how last season went,” said Dawson. “I want to show the league that I can be one of the best players and I’m putting in all the work I can to make that a reality. I think this season is going to be very important for making that point to the league so we’ll see how everything goes.” 

Going into the last season of his rookie contract, if Dawson is not able to show what he has to offer through his development and success in his game he very well may be looking for his third VHL team for his third season in the league. With players again and possible changes to come, it’s to be expected that Dawson could slot in to the future plans for the team but with the current young talent it is important for the young player to make an impact as soon as possible.

“That’s something that I will worry about in the off-season,” said Dawson in regards to his contract. “Right now I am focused on doing whatever I can to become a better player and show Toronto that I am ready for the opportunity. Hopefully by the end of the season we won’t even have to talk about these questions.”

Keep an eye on Dawson and the Legion when the regular season gets started later this week.

Review: Nice job on this media spot mate. I like that you gave a little bit of a summary on the state of the team before going onto talk about your player, it helps the reader better understand the position your player is in. You also capture your players mindset very well and explain that various challenges they face next season. Maybe next time, you could put the quotes in bold just to make them stand out a bit better. Overall, solid job!

8/5/10