Bettman was right

Spade18

So I feel like getting lost in Tampa's complete dismemberment of the Habs is the fact that now, all of a sudden, Tampa is the "big evil empire" of the NHL.

Doesn't this kind of validate Bettman that Hockey in the south was a good idea and worked?

I know everyone will try to point to Arizona as a failure, but that is way more on multiple ownership groups straight up not icing competitive teams.  Outside of 2012, which was honestly a bit of a miracle run, and Mike Smith playing out of his mind, I cant remember one Yotes team to actually make some noise.  Even with their years of failure, we technically have them to thank for Austin Matthews.

And outside of Arizona, This is the first year the bay area hasn't been competitive in 25 years and arguably the most successful team is the only one without a cup, Dallas has won a cup before, was in the cup final last year, and is both producing talent and attracting that talent home.  Florida has been to a cup final, and finally seem to be shaping into a legitimate franchise which is attracting big name talent.  Even Carolina has won a cup and is rounding out into what seems to be a power house.

I hate to say it cause I boo the man at every opportunity..... but Bettman was... right?

4 hours ago, Spade18 said:

So I feel like getting lost in Tampa's complete dismemberment of the Habs is the fact that now, all of a sudden, Tampa is the "big evil empire" of the NHL.

Doesn't this kind of validate Bettman that Hockey in the south was a good idea and worked?

I know everyone will try to point to Arizona as a failure, but that is way more on multiple ownership groups straight up not icing competitive teams.  Outside of 2012, which was honestly a bit of a miracle run, and Mike Smith playing out of his mind, I cant remember one Yotes team to actually make some noise.  Even with their years of failure, we technically have them to thank for Austin Matthews.

And outside of Arizona, This is the first year the bay area hasn't been competitive in 25 years and arguably the most successful team is the only one without a cup, Dallas has won a cup before, was in the cup final last year, and is both producing talent and attracting that talent home.  Florida has been to a cup final, and finally seem to be shaping into a legitimate franchise which is attracting big name talent.  Even Carolina has won a cup and is rounding out into what seems to be a power house.

I hate to say it cause I boo the man at every opportunity..... but Bettman was... right?

First of all, FUCK THE LIGHTNING

And yea, you're right. Bettman was, too. When a team is consistently good in a large market, regardless of where that market is, it will succeed. That's why I think the NHL will eventually expand to Mexico City, but also put a team in Quebec to justify all the backlash. Because hockey in Quebec is as vibrant as ever, and the demanding for a team will only get stronger

On 7/3/2021 at 4:36 PM, Ledge and Dairy said:

First of all, FUCK THE LIGHTNING

And yea, you're right. Bettman was, too. When a team is consistently good in a large market, regardless of where that market is, it will succeed. That's why I think the NHL will eventually expand to Mexico City, but also put a team in Quebec to justify all the backlash. Because hockey in Quebec is as vibrant as ever, and the demanding for a team will only get stronger

As much as I fucking love the hell out of the idea of a double Mexico city/Quebec expansion, I'm not sure if Mexico is currently.... how you say.... stable enough that the NHL would realistically expand there any time soon.

I would say put a team in Austin, as was promised to the Stars when they moved to Dallas, and do Austin/Qubec at the same time.

Houston is getting a team before QC for sure. The NHL gains nothing adding a small but passionate hockey market that players wont likely like to get drafted/play there.

A team in QC makes as much sense as a NFL team in Tulsa. Its not that it wouldnt be sucessful, its just not logical.

Hard to avoid Phoenix being brought up as that's literally the major reason to say he wasn't right. Atlanta also comes to mind.

It does validate that good teams do well because they're good which... yes,  that's usually how that works.