Goodbye Yukon, Hello Prague

JB123

Facts About Whitehorse, Capital City of Yukon, Canada

Image: Yukon's capital city of Whitehorse, where the Yukon Rush play their home games. 

Goodbye Yukon, Hello Prague

This is the last time I'll be saying this. Yukon Rush defenseman Nathan Powers is off to the VHL, more specifically, the Prague Phantoms, in Season 79. This comes after he spent two seasons with Yukon and won a Founder's Cup. We had a chance to sit down with Powers to talk about his time with the Rush, and his thoughts on the future.

What did you think of your time in Yukon, Nathan?

"It was awesome. I loved coming in that first season and proving people wrong for not drafting me earlier than the 5th round. Big thank you to @Juice and @fromtheinside for taking a chance on me and letting me develop on defense. They built a great team this season especially, and we fought hard for that ultimate championship. Also a big shout out to all my teammates, both seasons, that I got to play with you all. The room was always a great environment and everyone worked hard on the ice. I'm going to miss it here for sure."

Life in Prague, Czech Republic | UCEAP

Image: Prague, Czech Republic

What are you most looking forward to in Prague?

"Just making an immediate impact, being a great locker room guy too. They have a very good team and I want to help them get over that hump in the playoffs. Lots of great people there, so looking forward to it a lot. I'm going to work hard this offseason to improve and be at my best as a rookie." 

What will take the most adjusting?

"I think just the overall speed and intensity of the game. These players have experience too, so it'll definitely take some time to get in the swing of things, but I'm training hard to make it that much easier to adjust. Also the big city feel will take time. Playing in Prague will definitely be different than playing in Whitehorse." 

Do you have any set point total or any total you hope to reach?

"No set totals. Just want to make a positive impact on and off the ice. I do want to continue being a solid and dependable two-way defenseman, and hopefully we can go deep next season."

Do you want to stay with Prague for your whole career?

"(Laughs) Well, we'll see how things go. It's not like I'm in a contract year or anything already, just focus on playing my best hockey for Prague. Prague drafted me, so I'm sticking by them right now. Things change. Who knows what will happen eventually." 

Thanks Nathan and good luck next season! 

"Thanks a lot." 

Powers was drafted ninth overall by the Phantoms last season. He could slot in on the third pair to start his career. Prague's current defense consists of Battre Sandstrom, Fat palloon, Riley Knight Gee, and Silas LeFriend, who is an unrestricted free agent (UFA) who has yet to re-sign. Prague's offense, meanwhile, features the likes of Braxton Hunter, Dan Baillie Jr., John LeClair II, Robert Bouchard, Dominic Gobeil, and Jim Bob, who is retiring. Left wing Nicholas Mariani will be a rookie as well. In goal, the Phantoms have a solid tandem in Grekkark Gyrfalcon and Jacob Carson. Carson is a UFA. 

Word Count: 547 

9/10 Awesome conclusion to your vhlm career and a very cool way to introduce yourself to Prague! I love the pictures and love that you have the questions highlighted. For some improvements maybe make the pictures a bit smaller as the pictures are pretty big ahah. No other improvement recommendations, your writing style is very organized and you punctuate well.  As a former phantom, it is a super great place to be with excellent people! Good luck in your career!

I liked the quotes and using bold. Cool send off on moving up from the VHLM as that’s a achievement already. Looking forward to the start of your career! Good format 8/10