An Interview with Alex Johnston

Alex

The Calgary Wranglers top prospect is gearing up for his rookie season, the only way he knows how, by playing a final few rounds of golf near his home in Kelowna, British Columbia before he heads to the World Juniors to represent Canada. Between rounds of golf, you'll see Johnston either at the local rink, or at his home gym getting a few reps in as he prepares for what will surely be a tough season for the young sniper. During the past week I had a chance to sit down with Alex Johnston to discuss their hopes for the season, as well as their long term career goals.

Interviewer: "First off, congratulations on making the VHL. What has these last couple of weeks been like for you?"

Johnston: "It's been surreal, to be this close to my childhood dream. I can't put it into words, I guess I'm a mixture of excited and anxious to hit the ice in the VHL for the first time."

Interviewer: "Before we get into more VHL focused topics, what's it like going to represent your home country at the World Juniors?"

Johnston: "It will be a great experience for sure, having gone last year as a member of team Asia, and having played with Nathan Powers @JB123 in Yukon. I know a few of the guys on the team pretty well. Going to represent Canada is special as it's my home and even though we have struggled recently anything short of a gold medal is a failure. We have a great group of guys that our GM @v.2 put together, and our AGM has been spectacular @JardyB10. So there's no doubt in my mind that we can bring this thing home!"

Interviewer: "You just won Calgary's 'Young Buck Award' for being their top prospect, what does this mean to you?

Johnston: "It shows that the organization believes in me and that's all I can ask for. I am excited to hopefully put up some solid numbers this year and hopefully be able to contribute on both sides of the puck to prove them right."

Interviewer: "Lastly, do you have any personal goals for your career?"

Johnston: "As of right now my focus is just on playing the game my way. In the short term I think it would be great to at least be in the discussion for the rookie of the year award, and maybe take it home (prove @Ricer13's predications' wrong ;) ). In my career I would like to spend the whole thing with Calgary as I feel they have a great group of guys from the top down, starting with the GM @Ricer13, the AGM @Greg_Di, all the way to some of the veterans on the team like Nathan Perry (@tinafrombobsburgers) and there is nothing more that I would want more than to win a Continental Cup with this group and I feel like we can do it."

Interviewer: "Perfect, thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing you take the ice."

Johnston: "Thank you."

Edited by Alex_J32

4 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

I’m certainly rooting for you!

How and why were you on Team Asia last season, by the way?

Since Team Asia has a relatively small talent pool to pull from they can draft players from other countries at the same time as team world. This is done to help them be more competitive.