dil talks about random things

Dil

Hello fellow VHLers, it is I, Dil. I haven’t done one of these in a while, seeing as graphics are easier and more fun but I have yet again left it to the last day and I don’t  have my computer and it’s painful to make graphics on ipad.

Random Thing #1: All star game 

All Star games used to be pretty fun to watch back when ol beav did them, but they haven’t been done the past few seasons. I guess the new recruitment head, @MexicanCow123, believes it’s not worth doing since it’s very time consuming and not many people watch it. Where I understand how time consuming it is, it was very well received and had a fairly good viewership. Mr Cow did do it for a couple seasons I believe, but stopped after seeing there wasn’t people who cared. My issue with that is… no one knew it was happening… Stuff like this requires a bit of advertisement so people actually know it’s happening. Plus, when all else fails the good ol @members will do all the hard work :). What would make it a whole lot easier though is if EA allowed sharing roster files so multiple people could edit them…

Random Thing #2: Player store

Another random idea that kinda has to do with EA NHL games. NHL 21, as lacking in content that it is, has added one really cool feature in their be a pro mode where your player can use their contract money to purchase things like cars, houses, and other items that provide you with certain stat boosts and sometimes debuffs to balance the upgrades. Adding things like this to our Vhl player store would not only add more options there, but make players actually want to negotiate for bigger contracts and have that become an actual part of the VHL. Not to mention that it’s pretty cool.

Random Thing #3: Contracts

Piggybacking off of the last thing, one thing I dislike is how the whole contract negotiation part of the experience is completely ignored in the VHL. How negotiations usually work is, the GM sends the player a minimum contract, and the player accepts it. This happens because there is no motivation or real gain to having a good contract. If salary brackets weren’t a thing, everyone would be making like 1.5mill or whatever is the base amount… People usually respond to this take with things about how depreciation is there and how you need money for that, but as long as you claim actively your automatic salary bracket boost will get you very close to being afford everything you need… Adding more things to the player store and adding more things to use money on will actually make people negotiate. Hopefully.

And that concludes my random thoughts for this week. Hopefully I actually take the time to do a graphic next week somI don’t have write this thing again next week. Anyways, good bye. I love beaviss, please come back daddy.

Review

Hi Dil!

I always enjoy reading articles that can put a critical eye to the league, as that's one of the many ways the community can contribute to making the league better. I agree that the All-Star game was fun to watch, though it can be frustrating to go through a transition period when fewer people overall are watching. Some recommendations might include making sure there's a specific scheduled time for the ASG so people can plan to view it (I know that's occasionally a frustration with daily sims, too). Your player store idea is interesting, too, but may be difficult to implement in the confines of the engine since there are attributes valued a dozen times more than others (plus if the buys were cosmetic, no player would realistically spend it on those things sadly).

The contract negotiation process is the one I feel most strongly about as an area of improvement. I don't know if there's a great solution that can be taken under without drastically changing the experience for new players - but we might need just that. Free agency nowadays is either 1) a player returning to a franchise they're loyal to, 2) someone joining a stacked contender, or 3) random individuals changing teams for some variety, but no specific reason. It'd be cool to have more incentives to move around the league.

In terms of editing, there are a couple of random typos (e.g. "somI don't have write...") that I know aren't intentional but are always spots for improvement and review.

39 minutes ago, Renomitsu said:

Review

Hi Dil!

I always enjoy reading articles that can put a critical eye to the league, as that's one of the many ways the community can contribute to making the league better. I agree that the All-Star game was fun to watch, though it can be frustrating to go through a transition period when fewer people overall are watching. Some recommendations might include making sure there's a specific scheduled time for the ASG so people can plan to view it (I know that's occasionally a frustration with daily sims, too). Your player store idea is interesting, too, but may be difficult to implement in the confines of the engine since there are attributes valued a dozen times more than others (plus if the buys were cosmetic, no player would realistically spend it on those things sadly).

The contract negotiation process is the one I feel most strongly about as an area of improvement. I don't know if there's a great solution that can be taken under without drastically changing the experience for new players - but we might need just that. Free agency nowadays is either 1) a player returning to a franchise they're loyal to, 2) someone joining a stacked contender, or 3) random individuals changing teams for some variety, but no specific reason. It'd be cool to have more incentives to move around the league.

In terms of editing, there are a couple of random typos (e.g. "somI don't have write...") that I know aren't intentional but are always spots for improvement and review.

Review almost as long as the media spot yeesh look at you

Review

Well this was obviously a quick Media Spot as it looks pretty raw and it's short on content as it just to say hits the 500 word limit for Media Spots. While it looks like a half assed media spot it surprisingly touches base on some pretty interesting topics such as the lack of a all star game and ideas for the player store. While I may agree with Dil's views here I just can't give this one a good review.

5/10

On 8/1/2021 at 9:47 PM, Dil said:

Random Thing #3: Contracts

This might bring to mind a certain response which may involve the word "old", as well as those of "boys" and "club".

I am not against making money matter. However, it would be a lot more difficult to implement than most may think. 

Let's say we bring about some cool new things in the player store, or we make player store things way more expensive as a whole so you'd basically need a monster contract to buy all the things a minimum contract for a max earner can buy now (i.e. basically all the depreciation stuff). 

In either situation, there's an incentive for players to negotiate for higher contracts, as more money = more cool stuff. But it's not as simple as saying that the market will adjust itself and everything will be just peachy with new contract excitement every offseason. Here's something I could realistically see happening from that which isn't so peachy:

-With many players wanting more money, cap goes up as teams will generally end up spending more money. 

-HOWEVER, many players do not and will not see this as an opportunity to make more money and have better careers as a result. Team loyalty is a big thing here and people are already in the mindset of "I'm going to take a minimum contract to help my team." If cap does go up, I believe that we'd see the emergence of a few "teamwork"-centric teams full of people who know each other well and do not care what they're paid so long as they can win championships. These teams, if cap stays up, become perennial champions, something that's stupid and boring.

-As a result of something stupid and boring popping up, cap goes back down--maybe not all the way, but enough to prevent that from happening. At that point, the question becomes whether wanting a bigger contract is worth it. Those who do are maligned as self-centered and unrealistic. It is my opinion here that the "free market" approach would, after 5 seasons or so, eventually adjust itself back down to where it is now, even if the player store is made cooler or prices go up.

...but Gustav, what if we make the player store cool enough, or we raise prices enough, that having a monster contract is needed to have a great career?

Well, that's not a good thing, because:

-First of all, I still think we'd see a team or two who manages to play moneyball for cup wins.

-Second, this would REALLY widen the gap between great and good, and between good and OK. If having a lot of money is needed to do well, then we'd see teams allocate their assets accordingly: to the super high earners. Anyone who isn't that gets screwed over because there's no money left, and because of that their career goes down the drain. That would be the biggest "oId boys cIub" move in history, even if it would be something entirely new to the league.

Is there a way to make this work for everyone? Maybe, and if you can think of one that would be great. It's just not as simple as it may seem.