Thomas Landry: A Life In the VHL

Doomsday

Thomas Landry: A Life In the VHL

tom-landry.jpg

In the grand scheme of things, eight seasons is a very short duration for a professional playing career. Yet, that is the reality for the players of the Victory Hockey League, who put in a lifetime of work just to get those eight seasons to play on the highest stage of their simulation sport. For many of those players, the end of their eighth season marks the end of their VHL involvement. While their legacies may live far beyond their playing days, there are others who remain involved with the VHL for years, even decades, after their playing days are over. One such player is Thomas Landry, who, after a memorable playing career, moved on to management in the VHLM, and saw his son, Thomas Landry II, rise to the VHL as well. This is the story of Landry's VHL career after hanging up the skates.

As an unheralded second round pick of the New York Americans in Season 33, not much stock was put into Thomas Landry by many people. Despite a strong season with the Season 33 Founder's Cup Champion Bratislava Watchmen, it didn’t translate into immediate success as a rookie in Season 34 with New York. However, with the rebuilding Americans moving him to the HC Davos Dynamo before Season 35, Landry began to develop into the legendary leader he was to be. Immediately stepping up to become a vocal and physical presence on his new team, Landry cemented himself as Davos' captain going into Season 36. In each of his four seasons as the captain of the HC Dynamo, Davos reached the Continental Cup Finals, winning it in Season 36 and 38. After playing his final season in Calgary in Season 40, Landry's playing days had come to an end.

GettyImages-506885828-e1470871976159.jpg

However, during the height of his success with Davos, Landry had also been managing the Oslo Storm of the VHLM. Despite being in the prime of his playing career, Landry was simultaneously able to lead Oslo from afar, culminating in an improbable run to the Founder's Cup Finals in Season 36 on the back of unbelievable goaltending from future VHL stalwart Martin Brookside. Following Season 37, Landry stepped away from Oslo to focus on the final seasons of his career. It wouldn't take long, however, before he returned to the VHLM. After his retirement from the VHL in Season 40, Landry was approached by former Davos teammate and longtime friend Davey Jones to serve as the Assistant General Manager of the Turku Outlaws, which he happily accepted. However, it would not last long, as Turku was relegated following Season 42. Jones moved on to Bratislava, but Landry took it as a sign to return home with his family, and he quietly faded away from the VHL eye.

However, nearly 30 seasons later in Season 71, Saskatoon Wild General Manager Roger McWolf III announced the hiring of an Assistant General Manager very familiar to VHL fans: Thomas Landry. Initially brought to Saskatoon to be a veteran presence to help out the young players, Landry flourished, and the fire he had displayed decades before burned brighter than ever, and before long, he was the official AGM. After serving for two seasons, including with the Season 72 Founder's Cup Champion Saskatoon Wild team, Landry became the General Manager after McWolf III was chosen to be the GM of a VHL expansion team, the London United. Landry worked tirelessly to create a fun, safe learning environment for his players, lovingly dubbed the, "#SaskyBois." A clear focus was placed on player development, and Saskatoon remained a desired location for prospects as a result. Landry's teams seemed to have a knack for being slept upon, yet playing at a higher level than anyone would have given them credit for. However, playoff success eluded them. It took until Season 79 for Saskatoon to get their first series win under Landry, and they ultimately wound up two games short of the Founder's Cup Finals. Despite the new heights, Landry abruptly disappeared from public eye, and @BarzalGoat took the reigns as Interim-General Manager. He has not been seen publicly… until today. 

Landry-Tom-5.jpg?53268

PRESENT DAY

*A press conference has been called by Saskatoon Wild General Manager Thomas Landry, breaking his season-long silence. Reporters anxiously await his arrival, and they do not need to wait very long before Landry appears and takes his place at the podium.*

"Hello, thank you all for being here on such short notice," Landry began, as a hush filled the room. "It's almost as if someone dropped out of the sky, with all the excitement going on in here," he continued, drawing quite a few laughs.

"I'm not surprised that my sudden disappearance raised so many questions," Landry continued after letting the laughs die down. "People like mysteries, and someone just up and vanishing, especially someone in the public eye, makes for a good story. But the fact of the matter is, it was getting to be difficult on this old soul to handle the day-to-day responsibilities of this job, and I decided to take a sabbatical. Rest. A hard reset, if you will. It was a journey meant to provide a solution, an answer to allow me to come back better and stronger, able to be better than ever to do the job."

Landry paused briefly, and looked up.

"But I didn't find a solution during my journey. Yet, as you can see, I stand before you here today anyway. What I found instead was a cold, hard, truth. I simply wasn't able to perform the job at the level I was accustomed to any longer. I love Saskatoon, I love what the team has come to represent, and I love working with the young players and helping them become the next big stars of the VHL. It's hard to give up doing something you love, but when you are keeping something you love from being everything it should be, you need to do what is right for everyone."

After another pause, Landry looked up and continued. 

"After considerable thought, and of course after speaking with @VHLM Commissioner s, I have decided to retire as General Manager of the Saskatoon Wild, effective immediately. However, I do have one last act that I have received the blessing of the VHLM to perform. BarzalGoat has done a phenomenal job, and this Saskatoon team is truly his now. He embodies everything that a general manager should be in the VHLM, especially one here in Saskatoon. So, my final action as the General Manager of the Saskatoon Wild is to officially remove the interim tag from @BarzalGoat's position. He is now the official General Manager of the Saskatoon Wild."

Amidst the sudden buzz and flashes of the photographers, Landry kept his composure and continued.

"I would like to be the first to congratulate  BarzalGoat on officially becoming the new general manager," Landry beamed. "The players and fans alike in Saskatoon have nothing to worry about, as the great tradition of VHLM hockey will continue, as will the quality that is expected of this team. I will remain with the organization as an advisor, but as it already has been this season, this is Barzy's team now."

Landry looked up one last time, concluding his press conference.

"It's time for me to go now, thank you to everyone for coming today. We've still got work to do in Saskatoon, and we'll be getting right on it. Drive save, everyone!" Landry quipped, stepping away and leaving the room.

As he walked away, many emotions came over Landry, but most notably was the feeling of a huge weight being lifted from his shoulders. As beloved as the Saskatoon Wild had become to him, they were now finally in the right hands once again, with someone who could give them the full energy and commitment required for a team steeped in excellence and tradition. Speaking of traditions, Landry decided it was time to start a new one. He reached into his pocket to retrieve his cell phone, and called his son.

"Hello?" answered Thomas Landry II.

"Good morning, son," replied Landry.

"Hey dad," replied Landry II. "Everything ok?"

"Oh, of course," Landry answered. "Just wanted to see if you had any plans later on."

"Not that I know of," Landry II stammered. "Is something going on?"

Landry smiled. "Oh, nothing huge. Nothing major at all."

"Then what is it, dad?"

"I'm coming home, son"

TomLandry.png