Behind the Name: Nagy AL

bigAL

If you didn't read my Junior Review: fine, fair enough. But with such a foreign name as Nagy AL, I feel the need to give some context.

Nagy is pronounced so differently than you think. Hear it here. "gy" is actually one letter in Hungarian, and it's the hardest letter in the whole 40-letter alphabet for me to say.

In Hungarian, Nagy means "big". Literally "bigAL".

But also, in Hungarian, the last name comes first. In the west, that name would be AL Nagy.

Nagy is one of the most popular last names in the country. Look at my local club's roster here, there's two Nagy on the team. Our tendy is Nagy Kristof, and so @Juice died laughing when we saw him come out for warmups. That's his name! Nagy Gergő is a PPG forward as well.Side note, we also have three Canadians on the team, so Go Ferencvaros! (Side side note, I hate that I have to call it "ice hockey" in this country, because "hockey" is already claimed by field hockey.)

So, when in Rome Budapest, do as the Hungarians do. Nagy AL is here to play.

6 hours ago, bigAL said:

But also, in Hungarian, the last name comes first. In the west, that name would be AL Nagy.

I had no idea this was a thing anywhere in Europe. That's interesting.

2 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

I had no idea this was a thing anywhere in Europe. That's interesting.

If there’s a difficult and confusing way to do something, the Hungarians will find it.