Gustav Life Update

Gustav

Yes, Gustav Life Update--because I'm just now realizing I don't have a media spot for this week and I should be in bed already. 

Some of us who were here some months ago might remember a few threads I put up that were deep and meaningful to some and probably cringy to others. While I'll do my best to be emotionally honest in this article, I promise this is not me complaining about my life or feeling sad about myself again. Rather, it's just me talking about what I'm up to!

• I had my last exam Thursday, which means I'm done for the semester! I also think it was the last final I'll ever have to take as an undergrad. I'm pretty sure I did OK, though the night before kind of threw a monkey wrench into things--I got ZERO sleep, not because I wouldn't but because I couldn't for some reason. I wasn't nervous; it just didn't happen. Thankfully, I'm fine, and though I haven't seen for sure yet, I did fine!
  • Speaking of the end of the semester, I'm actually a little bit sad that it's over. This was the first back-to-normal (with masks) semester I've ever had that involved more than one class in my major. I did some cool things, learned a lot, and for the first time ever, made a few real-life friends in college. Break is going to be a bit lonely, but I suppose that's for all the best reasons.
  • And speaking of the end of school, I'll have my degree in the spring! It's a little scary, because I don't know what my life will look like in a year...
  • ...though I do know I'll be in a grad program! I got into one school you may have heard of, and I'm waiting to hear back from the rest. I don't expect other decisions until January, though the fact that one got back to me so quickly (2 business days after I applied, for someone with zero research experience, no less) is a bit encouraging--I'd heard that applications are going to be fewer and credentials are going to be lower in general this year, especially for domestic applicants, so this could go really well! Even if it doesn't, I've got a guaranteed spot somewhere.
  • I'm working more at my usual terrible job, and hating it as always. I said (informally) that I should be paid a bit more, as I've been there over 4 years and practically led the department for short periods of time during that, and was told that minimum wage is going up in a couple weeks. That's cool, and at least New York has a decent minimum, but I still get paid less than high school kids at McDonald's.
  • I've been a bit quieter on Discord lately, and I think that's okay. I don't miss the days when I'd spend 4 hours at a time in genchat. I know I've said this before, but it's a bit more so most recently and it's worth reiterating. 

Just now, Nykonax said:

wow going to Harvard?! Grats!

lmao I wish

Fun fact: Harvard doesn't even have the (fairly common) program I'm applying to. 

I didn't necessarily mean that as a flex; I got into a decent school that's probably more well-known to most for sports. It's ranked higher than where I am now, but not by a huge margin.

Congrats! Great to hear you are getting through and almost done school, even though you wanted more normal semesters, but its good to go through school and get a good job. It wasnt really a VHL article, but it was still good. With more time out of school it would be great to see you more active around and on discord! 7/10