A quick look at how Toronto's S81 prospects are doing!

Peace

We're close to the finish line; season eight one has been a wild campaign for the Toronto Legion, who've been at times the best team in the North American Conference to just holding onto a wildcard spot. In our last article we covered how New York could catch the Legion, but after two clutch victories from our boys in blue and white, it appears their spot is all but clenched at this point. We all know how Toronto is doing, we can see how the roster is faring throughout the season, but I've yet to cover [I think] the S81 crop of draftees. 

Toronto made seven selections during the leagues' S81 VHL Entry Draft; (5) Cadmael Ixaxaluoh, (9) Harkat Mulds, (17) George Sanderson, (24) Weenuk Warrior, (29) Ashton Komaryk, (31) Harry Hagel, (41) Boris Tsezar and (60) Alessio Simeoni.

How has their progression been? How are they doing in their respective leagues? 

Answers below. 

CADMAEL IXAXALUOH
Toronto's S81 5th overall selection.

Ixaxaluoh and the Bratislava Watchmen are enjoying an impressive 39-18-5 record as the team competes for the top position in the VHLE standings. Their battle with the Red Wolves will go the entire seventy two games, and the Watchmen are a mere two points from a tiebreaker with Istanbul. Ixaxaluoh himself has wielding his awe inspiring eighty three points in sixty two games. He's directly contributed more than his seventy two assists would suggest as he leads his team in numerous categories. Ixaxaluoh's bravery facing shots has been noted, creating opportunistic turnovers that lead directly into an assist. On top of his defensive play, Cadmael has acquired eleven goals for himself and currently sits with a plus three rating.

The Legion prospect will -- without a shred of doubt -- join Toronto in the upcoming S82 campaign. His development has been consistent and his work ethic should be applauded, he's on the ice until the maintenance crews are begging him to leave. That dedication bodes well for his rookie campaign, now that's something we're all excited to see.

HARKAT MULDS
Toronto's S81 9th overall selection.

Mulds made the jump to the VHL immediately after the S81 VHL Entry Draft and hasn't disappointed in his rookie performance. He is one of the four Toronto Legion rookies present in the top ten race and has contributed to many of Toronto's seasonal successes up to this point. His thirty two goals, twenty nine assists and sixty one points alongside one hundred six hits have firmly placed him as one of Toronto's better forwards, he's also tied for second in team scoring with a fellow Legion rookie. Mulds has created a position for himself as a powerplay goal scorer, contributing ten of his thirty plus goals with the man advantage. He's certainly been an invaluable piece for the Legion and will likely continue to be a force multiplier for seasons to come. 

Harkat continues to grow with a developing forward core, there shouldn't be a sophomore regression for this S81 prospect; if it wasn't clear by now, it's expected that Mulds will become a top three player for the Legion as soon as the start of next season. He'll likely overtake Numminen and join Peace and Fire as the teams go-to top three forwards, so now the question is how long will he stay in Toronto?

GEORGE SANDERSON
Toronto's S81 17th overall selection.

Sanderson has had an individually turbulent season I imagine... he was drafted by the Geneva Rush, played twenty four games with them -- earning fourteen points in the process -- before being traded to the Vikings earlier this season. With Stockholm he's played thirty eight games, however with a massive unit on the back end, Sanderson's role within the Vikings had been reduced from nearly thirty minutes a game with Geneva to barely fourteen minutes a game with Stockholm. Despite the reduced opportunities, Sanderson has performed better from a points-per-minute perspective, and has nearly erased his negative rating during his time with the Rush. Offense isn't Sanderson's bread and butter [yet] as the defensive defensemen continues to improve his checking abilities and passing skills, and some of the categories support improved play despite less ice time. 

Sanderson will likely join the Toronto Legion next season depending on his personal decision, he'll certainly meet the minimum requirements to join competition in the VHL. Whether he stays in the VHLE for another season or decides to come up doesn't impact his development, which has been very consistent and deserves recognition while pushing through third line minutes. Should he come up he'll likely be paired with fellow VHLM teammate Ixaxaluoh for the initial games of S82.

WEENUK WARRIOR
Toronto's S81 24th overall selection.

Warrior hasn't been able to get comfortable with a VHLM team yet; drafted by Halifax, traded to Saskatoon, followed by a trade to Philadelphia throughout the season may have had an impact on Warrior's earlier performance and inability to discover chemistry with former teammates. Fortunately the trade deadline has passed, and although he hasn't scored a goal since playing for Halifax, Warrior's performance with the Reapers has been a great improvement over his record with both Halifax and Saskatoon. Weenuk has earned five goals [all with HFX], twenty two assists and is currently plus three with the Reapers. Seven points in ten games in a Philadelphia uniform points towards improving chemistry, better play and confidence on the ice. 

Warrior will be joining Oslo in the VHLE next season. Warrior's steady but slower development will likely result in a few seasons of VHLE play prior to joining the Toronto Legion, but as we've previously covered, there's both a positive and negative edge to that sword.

ASHTON KOMARYK

Toronto's 29th overall selection.

Komaryk has been enjoying a point-per-game season with the Houston Bulls as they fight for the second spot in the standings; twenty goals, forty three assists, sixty three points alongside an eye opening plus fifty five absolutely beacons confidence Huston has placed upon Ashton's shoulders. Oddly, Komaryk has been playing as the Bulls' top line center, with Salo and Laspenov flanking him on the wings. For someone who's natively a right winger, Komaryk has been doing a decent job within the faceoff circle, winning just under fifty four percent of his draws.

Like Warrior, Komaryk has a steady but slow developing curve. He'll play in the VHLE for a few seasons before joining the Toronto Legion. 

HARRY HAGEL
Toronto's S81 31st overall selection. 

It's probable the second VHLM season for Hagel is one to forget, especially considering he dropped from eighty points to being unlikely to reach fifty by the end of the season. It should be said that Hagel is one of the few skaters on Halifax that has any form of developed talent, the rest are -- in essence -- just bodies filling up the roster until they've developed into more efficient hockey players, which shouldn't take long in the VHLM level of competition before their natural talent is discovered. For Hagel, however, I'm sure he's looking forward to progressing into the VHLE in the upcoming season as a member of the Bratislava Watchmen. 

Hagel's development follows the trend set by the two prospects above it. It is steady, but slow, as Harry continues to grow into the defensemen he wants to be at his own pace. He'll spent a few seasons with the Watchmen assuming no future trades occur. 

BORIS TSEZAR
Toronto's S81 41st overall selection.

Tsezar has had an alright season, nothing impressive but still something to write home about. The Mexico City Kings have struggled this season, however they're a fairly depleted team much like Hagel's Halifax club. Boris will be looking forward to joining the Gladiators next season, leaving behind a twenty one - thirty eight - one record with his current Kings. It should be noted that of the two thousand plus shots Tsezar has faced, he's only allowed just north of two hundred goals, earning himself a comparatively impressive near ninety save percentage in a league known for turning goaltenders into a pile of swiss cheese with high blood pressure from the sheer stresses accompanying it. 

Tsezar has developed at a steady but slow pace, and will likely spent multiple seasons in the VHLE.

ALESSIO SIMEONI
Toronto's S81 60th overall selection.

Simeoni began his season with Saskatoon before a transaction sent him to Huston, where he joined fellow Legion prospect Komaryk within the Bulls' forward group. Alessio had thirteen goals and twelve assists through twenty eight games with Saskatoon, and currently has thirty two points in thirty four games for the Texas VHLM team. Combined he's nearly had a point per game season for two hockey clubs, earning a one point oh-two points per twenty minutes with his new club. Simeoni's also released his wild side, spending forty four more minutes in the box with Huston than he did with Saskatoon... in case you're wondering, he's only got forty four penalty minutes throughout this season. Something about Huston unlocked his... bullish side?

Like the prospects above, Simeoni will spend numerous seasons in the VHLE as his steady but slow development places on pace to join Toronto in the far future.

1500+ words, claiming for the next three weeks.

Edited by Peace

Very good in depth article. I especially like the fact that it is very well organized, and easy to read. I think personally it's very interesting to see how some players develop, so I'll make sure to keep an eye out for prospects in the future! Great article, 10/10, enjoyed reading all of it!

10/10

Wow great text. I really love to see how you did you research for each prospects and show us how you continue to follow them even though they are not playing with Toronto yet. I like that the name of the players and where they were drafted is different from the rest of the text.

Review time: Hey Peace, I don't think I need to say to much because your pieces are always so good, good pacing, well split up, use of bold and italics which I think makes the article/media spot always more fun to read. Good summary on each player and where they are at. I think putting the player's names or "Toronto's (insert number) overall selection" in blue could be a nice extra touch, also a picture with a bunch of players around a coach in training could have added a little more. Overall excellent post 9.5/10

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting read, although I enjoy these kinds of articles. Obviously I am excited to see what these kids can do, but the information you laid out is well done and well written. I also like how you separated everything, it helps reading it a lot. 10/10