VHL trades so far

hedgehog337

To my delight the season has ended. Although I'm not sure why that meta team won again. Is that even healthy for league?

The first day of the offseason is about to end in couple of hours. And here comes another good news. We got some nice trades going on. And not for midcard players, some legitimate borderline blockbusters are there too. The trade block is way more entertaining than last season when almost every team wanted to sell. At least we have more buyers than Seattle. Anyways let's get to the nitty gritty and name all trades that happened so far.

To :rig:

(S76) D - Battre Sandstrom

To :prg:

S83 RIG 1st

The first trade and already a decently big one. As well as slightly uncharacteristic of me. As most of VHL management and other members know, I've had mood swing throughout whole season. When the team was doing good, I was interested in buying. Losing sim: selling. Yes, that selling/buying stuff came from me, thank you very much. Also I've been one of the most vocal sellers last offseason so this certainly wasn't typical of me. This past season brought yet another depressing mood to Riga camp. But then here came the light: the roster mainly contained pending free agents so there was an interesting choice to make. I could sign some or let go to FA. This also created an opening in my roster and bringing the scoring defenseman was the first priority for me. Talks about Sandstrom being on the block circulated since the begining of last season and I was always keeping that on my mind. Even when Acyd was contemplating to make some roster changes for better contending chances I was there being curious. My interest faded away when Riga suffered that 0-2 sim from Prague (ironically) to show us our place out of the playoffs. But the idea of bringing Sand to Riga was never dead and it was brought up to the light again at the late playoffs. I was determined to find a shoot first defenseman to finally make a proper playoff push. So here it is, the first trade of the offseason. After the trade was complete; Acyd mentioned that he could've asked for more, but didn't want to drag tha talks out. In any case I think this trade worked for both teams: I got what I wanted and Prague got a good asset which is probably going to help them to make a big retool down the road.

To :dav:

S82 CGY 3rd

S82 LAS 3rd

S83 SEA 2nd

To :sea:

(S75) C - Taro Tsujimoto

The era of David Gustav ended quicker than we could've ever thought. The new GM Alex decided that this roster isn't going to do anything in the future and immediately put his own stamp on the OG purple team. Seattle once again had to reinforce their roster since almost the half of their forward lineup was gone due to the retirement. So yes, they are buying again. And they have to. Justin Lose just had a monster year and they want to keep that going. The player who was carrying rather a mid tier team for a long time is certainly a good guy for that. There are still question about their roster as the depth is not impressive at all, but at least this is the step to the right direction. Was Gustav worth a first instead of couple of minor picks? Hard saying. Some aggressive GM's would've done a first, but Bana is not known for spending valuable assets left and right when it's not really needed. So I think the price is kinda cheap, but can't call this a hard lowball either.

To :dav:

S82 MAL 1st

S84 MAL 1st [14th overall]

To :mal:

(S79) D - Poopy Peepants

S82 DAV 2nd [23rd overall]

Now this is closer to truth when it comes to a blockbuster. Only one player is involved, but the price is a big deal. The Davos firesale continues with trading one of better defensemans of this teams. I have to say, we are experiencing the renaissance of oldhead members here. More and more of them are actually staying in the league and Jardy wasn't an exception. He managed to build his player into the respective heights already. While the price looks big, I get why Dom pulled the trigger on this one. Besides, is it really that big? The pick swap with Malmo is moving down 9 spots and a S84 first. I'm not sure if it's that big anymore when looking more deeply into that. Even with that, there are still two potential issues. First of all, we all know how is STHS treating pass first player for the most part. So all eyes on Poopy now and how is going to mesh with the high scoring talent in Malmo. Second: I remember Dom saying that he wasn't really interested to sell future picks as some players were becoming older and he needed some assets to not enter the rebuild empty handed. Well, I guess Jardy was worth of Dom abandoning his plans. Besides, he really needed a defenseman as Welch is leaning towards testing the free agency.

To :cal:

S83 RIG 2nd

S82 HSK 4th

To :rig:

(S78) C - Nils Tallinder

I got my defenceman so what else am I gonna do? Right, more buying! Our forward roster is another thing that was somewhat iffy. Good news was DaMoose signed back to Riga and Miklavz is still here. Other than that, lots of questions. Cabe decided that he is tired of this league and went out sad by trolling and doing other eh things for a perm ban. Greene Giant is perhaps cool with still high scoring number (thanks, Jagr), but he is the secondary scorer at best. Also two rookies (Chiang and Leduc) are about to come up, but their prime time will come later. So as you can see, the offensive depth wasn't really there. Once Ricer posted his block with Nils in there I knew I had to show an interest at least. I think he could be a cool second line option for Riga and I was thinking the same when I was doing talks with Calgary GM about him. Also, Patrik Tallinder was playing in Riga for 5 seasons (also his last 2...in Calgary. I think Ricer was still there, but not as a GM yet) so trade made a sense for me. Not expensive as didn't give much shits about the S83 draft. A solid scoring option for 2 seasons. Why not then. I hope we will climb up from that low scoring sadness we've been for I have no idea anymore how much seasons.

Also, weren't yall supposed to put the new Calgary logo emoji on forums?

To :la:

(S75) D - R

S84 VAN 1st

S84 VAN 2nd

To :que:

(S77) D - Joe Madison

An interesting trade. My first reaction was Nyko just went berserk with this trade. Like I know he was willing to pay a first for half season rental Pines (maybe Lamb too, don't remember). But two picks, let alone a first for another rental was too much for my liking. However, looks like Sam changed her mind to keep Madison for more than one season. But here's another trick - the player has a player option following this season so who knows what is about to happen in 2.5 months. Depends on the locker room culture in Vancouver I guess? Another interesting fact: Rory mentioned in DM's that LA was supposed to receive a late first from same trade. At that moment I didn't know what the trade was looking like, but I guess apparently Vancouver was interested in giving the 16th overall pick, but it got changed to this version. So LA actually got more assets, but it never solved Rory's issues on getting DeGroot to the Stars at all. So this draft might have a hot sauce or two in it.

I think I covered all trades to this point, but I'm expecting more fireworks going on. There are more potential of blockbusters for multiple reasons:

- Davos is on firesale and they still have some juicy assets to sell;

- Seattle needs more forwards for better depth I reckon;

- Riga might still mess around with more picks to throw out;

- Warsaw needs a goalie so hard right now;

- I've heard Moscow is trying to add more cheaper depth players to not play bots so they're also into the play.

Obviously, there is the draft which is likely going to bring us one or two unexpected results due to some GM players being there and the huge shortage of goalies. Free agency, can't forget about that. While I think this may be a weaker class than last year, there might be some good defensive talents plus decent forwards.

I think this offseason is already going better than last time thanks to the market shifting towards sellers. Certainly more buyers than last offseason is making this more entertaing and I'm interested to see the follow up of this.

That's it and I'm out.

17.01 - 23.01

24.01 - 30.01

31.01 - 06.02

First off the Devise way his the best way ahah. ;)  I love your analysts about what the team needs and what they are going to do in terms of rebuilding or contending. For the Taro Tsujimoto trade it’s not a first but it’s very close. And I am sure Alex has some players in mind with this  S82 draft pick. It’s going to be very interesting to see in the future and look back at those trades and try to figure out who wants the player exchange and the players from the draft pick who you can never know how they will grow. I have nothing to say I always love reading you’re MP. 9/10 

Was reading anyway, so let's review!

Review: 10/10

Really enjoyed this one, and like getting the GM's behind-the-scenes view on things as well. Even if I disagree on something here or there (or pointing out your downplaying how good the Tallinder trade was for you), it was written in an interesting way that allowed me to have an alternative viewpoint, which I appreciate. The presentation of the article works well, with the logos looking clean and the trades themselves clearly written and centered. It flowed well also, and didn't notice any grammar issues on a first read. Good stuff overall here!

Review:

Read it, getting my TPE for it!

Pretty quality coverage of the flurry of trades this off-season, which had in-depth analysis for each trade. Each one was broken down nicely and covered the mindset for the trade from both teams. Even the trades that you didn't have a hand in had thorough analysis, which you want to see in an article covering league transactions. Formatted very nicely, good grammar and sentence structure, especially considering English isn't your first language. 

Overall, very nicely done, great job!

10/10

• 2 weeks later...