Locker Rooms

So, I recently joined and I am still getting to know the site and the people. I was recruited from the SHL, and I am a big fan of hockey. One thing that I think the site could improve is locker rooms. First of all, I hate that the locker rooms are all the way at the bottom. I didn't even know the Blades LR existed until last night. Locker rooms are usually a player's first interactions with other players on the site and I personally think they should be on top of the front page. I still don't know most of my teammates, and I know nobody outside of my team(besides players from the SHL). If the LR was at the top, I would have seen it sooner, been able to interact with my teammates sooner, and I would know more people. When you don't know anybody, it is much harder to get into general discussions and learn who people are. 

Also, I think there should either be a LR for rookies or a LR for VHLMers in general. There is a rookie LR in the SHL (I know this isn't the SHL and I'm not trying to make it the SHL, but this is one great idea that has worked wonderful so far). The only people that have access are rookies, and the GMs of the junior teams. It allows rookies to get to know each other and have discussions about anything and everything. Plus, they get to know the GMs and the GMs can see who is most active. I think it would be great to have that here, as there are plenty of rookies and I think most of us don't even know each other. Once we become more comfortable with the site and talking with each other, we will be much more comfortable in discussions with VHLers and just general forums. 

I'm not really sure how to get this started but tfong suggested I come here to get a LR for rookies started.

The rookie LR in the SHL has something like 200 pages from this season only. Granted they had a big recruitment, but that rookie class seems to have bonded pretty well and the LR seems to have helped.

Yep. 2500+ posts and 20,000+ views in just the main discussion thread.

We tried rookie LRs twice before here. They failed miserably.I hate the SHL layout and one of my biggest issues with it is the LR at the top. It irritates me.

Why did it fail? Were rookies not active in it? Maybe that's because the LRs are at the bottom. :ph34r: personally, I like the LRs at the top because its what I like to check first when I get online.

• Admin

Because we don't have enough rookies probably. Or as much discussion.

It just looks off to me. And probably to anyone who started off at the VHL. Personal preference. It's not a particularly long scroll down the page.

We kind of do have something similar with the discussion thread for the upcoming draft. Rookies can talk in there, as can the rest of the league. I get that rookies may want to bond together and such, but I'd figure they'd want more time communicating and engaging with the rest of the league. 

If we did a rookie LR again it might actually work better if it was open to all members?  I'm assuming part of the reason it didn't work before is the hassle to keep it maintained, particularly on our end.

Although Device speaks true when he says the S40/S41 Draft class discussion does kind of cover that.  Mind you that thread would likely be rather hidden for noobs, especially ones who get confused about LRs at the bottom of the page :P (I'm kidding, I'm sorry. I don't usually bust balls for such fresh members, but I couldn't resist).

I think we could either utilize notes in the New Member Guide to fix these issues though, or pop ups like suggested in here.  I still don't know how to make those though. :D

Sort of I guess, but it's specifically geared toward noobs.  I'd think as a noob I'd see a forum called like, "Noob Congregation and Discussion!" and I'd think, "Hey, I could talk to some of my brethren in there," and it would sort of draw them in.  As a four year vet I'd see that same forum, and much like the Graphics section and the 19 LRs I'm not truly part of, I'd mostly ignore it other than the occasional pop in. 

Not saying that's the most effective method of solving the issue in OP, I'm just saying it might be better than a private LR.  I personally like the idea of there just being a "Making Friends" thread/section in the New Member Guide area that points people to either the draft discussion thread or their LRs or the public rookie LR that doesn't exist yet.