Claimed:Reviewing the Deadline

sterling

Reviewing the Deadline

The trade deadline in the VHL is usually always a stinker with little to no action taking place. The history of the trade deadline was altered this year after we saw what was likely the best trade deadline in the history of the league. There were a lot of buyers and a lot of sellers this season which culminated in a torrid trade frenzy the two days leading up to the deadline. In this media spot I will quickly review the trade deadline we all just witnessed.

LosAngelesKings_2005-08-24.JPG

The biggest buyer of the trade deadline was easily the Vasteras Iron Eagles who believe this may be one of their last stabs at glory with their current roster. New General Manager Boubabi started the deadline off with a number of cap dump deals before making a big splash with the acquisition of David Collier from the Cologne Express. Of course this wasn’t really an acquisition as much as it was a re-acquisition of a player the franchise traded away at the beginning of his career after the player was on the verge of missing practice. Collier went on to become one of the better forwards of his generation and finally he will have one real shot at a Continental Cup before her retires. The Eagles parted with their Season 41 second, which should be a good commodity, in exchange.

The Eagles continued with their moves as they acquired veteran defenseman Jack Sound and veteran forward Chico Salmon from the Toronto Legion in exchange for their second round pick in Season 40 which will likely become a very good prospect. The move shows that Vasteras is serious about adding some veteran depth and championship experience to their roster, but both players are heavily depreciated. I must admit that I’m impressed with Boubabi for getting great value out of his second round picks. I would be surprised to not see the Eagles make the finals.

mac-231x300.jpg

The other big buyer on deadline day was Riga. Since there is a clear three horse race building up in Europe, the fight for home ice advantage has never been as important as this season. The Reign made two equally big moves to contend. With Quebec they dealt a Season 40 first round pick in exchange for defenseman Niklas Valiq and Seattle’s second rounder this season. The move is risky for Riga, but they did acquire a veteran defender with championship experience which should aide their horrid defensive depth. In another move with the Toronto Legion, Riga traded their Season 40 and Season 41 picks for veteran forward Jacob Kjellberg and Toronto’s Season 41 second. Essentially the seconds will cancel themselves out, but in the move Toronto picks up a draft pick that will likely be middle of the first round. Riga also left their cupboard incredibly bare in exchange for depreciated veterans.

The final buyer on deadline day was the New York Americans who made a deal with the Toronto Legion. The Americans acquired centreman Bennett Wahl and a Season 41 second rounder in exchange for depth forward Riley Stevens, and two Calgary Wrangler second round picks (S40, 41). The deal provides a bit of an upgrade to the Americans forward corps and if they can manage to re-sign Wahl to an extension, it will be a win for them. The other move of the deadline saw the Wranglers ship disgruntled Season 39 draft pick Koji Yamazaki to Quebec in exchange for Mother Fucker Percy Miller and a number of draft picks. The trade appears to be fairly even at this point in time.

As you can see, the trade deadline saw a lot of action as teams tried to one-up each other. The Toronto Legion, Vasteras Iron Eagles and Quebec City Meute are considered the winners of the deadline this season while I’d call the Riga Reign a loser (that can be changed if they actually win, but I have my doubts about them). Another loser may very well be the Davos Dynamo who were left standing pat with a complete and overachieving roster. I’d be very surprised to see the Dynamo win a seven game series against either European opponent despite their relative regular season success (riggery no doubt).

Not really at all, most teams stay about the same throughout the season (skill wise) aside from teams like Seattle and the bottom feeders. Meanwhile the two other teams in Europe have improved their rosters.

Your team is still worse than Riga and Vasteras. We shall see, but right now I'd wager on Davos being pretenders.

After uploading the most recent stats and files into the Chinese Department of Defense mainframe and running several million simulations, and factoring in potential player updates, I have calculated the chance of Davos making it past the second round to be 12.579%