Brandon's Basement, Ep.1: We Return... Only 10 Years Later

Brandon

First Episode of my Podcast.

I share some interesting tales about my past in the VHL, my opinions of the attribute changes, my own S83 mock draft, 2 stories about me randomly meeting VHL members while going about my daily life, and a few questions for the members of the VHL! 

https://anchor.fm/FuelupVHL/episodes/Brandons-Basement--Ep-1-We-Return----Only-10-Years-Later-e1gnsd4

Timestamps

1:00 My Re-Introduction To The VHL
3:38 Shoutout To these VHL members
5:29 What I'm going to Talk About This Podcast
6:30 Preview of the Shortbus Era of the VHL
8:35 My Experience as General Manager from S10-S14 
12:25 My Opinion of the New Attribute Changes
16:55 Biggest Downside of the New Attribute Changes
19:42 Preliminary S83 Predictions

21:10 S83 Mock Draft
21:58 1st Overall (Chicago Phoenix)
23:00 2nd Overall (Vancouver Wolves)
24:16 3rd Overall (Malmo Nighthawks)
26:23 4th Overall (HC Davos Dynamo)
28:30 5th Overall (New York Americans)
29:46 6th Overall (Helsinki Titans)
31:30 7th Overall (Toronto Legion)
34:02 8th Overall (Dc Dragons)
36:06 9th Overall (Calgary Wranglers)
36:59 10th Overall (Calgary Wranglers)
37:54 11th Overall (HC Davos Dynamo)
39:14 12th Overall (London United)
40:28 13th Overall (Calgary Wranglers)
41:29 14th Overall (New York Americans)
42:43 15th Overall (Moscow Menace)
43:53 16th Overall (Vancouver Wolves)

45:20 Hasbulla For President
46:22 How I met 2 VHL members Randomly IRL
48:36 My Questions For Members of the VHL

50:17 Outro

Claiming weeks ending: 04/17/22, 04/24/22, 05/01/22, & 05/08/22

Edited by Brandon

This was a good listen Brandon! Listened to it while I was at work so didn't get chance to give immediate feedback, but here it is now!

I guess I have you to thank for being the first GM to turn New York's reputation around haha. I was GM for them myself (S47-50) and can't say I ever had anyone turn down our team because of who it was so it's interesting to hear the comparison between the two eras.

I agree that the VHLM is definitely the biggest concern for the hybrid attributes. I believe someone in the discord (I want to say it was Jardy but not 100%) suggested maybe lowering BOT attributes down to 30, which might be a good idea. Think the weirdest thing for them is making scorers, since it takes 42 TPE added in SS and WS I believe just to get your scoring 5 TPE higher than your passing.

Liked the Mock Draft! I think the only detail you may have missed and might have noticed after recording was that Dom is the GM of Malmo, so I don't think there will be as many questions around that pick, but asides from that I liked it a lot and people's landing spots were similar to what I'd had in mind!

Question 1) I haven't met any VHL members outside the league, but it's interesting that the second story you gave rang a bell, I think it may have been posted on the forum at some point. Do you remember the other user's name? I think the one that was posted in the forum was Velevra? 

2) Yes, he wasn't in the league when I first joined (S34) but Anderson did come back as punkhippie in the S50's. You'll be pleased to know he was actually the shortbus's Robbie Zimmers AGM in Las Vegas (Robbie actually moved the Bern Royals to the Las Vegas Aces as their GM). He also wound up being a GM in like S55, but not long after, he got another perma and, despite trying to get back on the site at least a couple times now, that still stands. He also said at one point that my mother had dinosaur breath.

Edit: Found the link to the post about you seeing Velevra on the forum haha. 

Edited by MubbleFubbles

This was a very quick hour! I'm new to the league so it's extra interesting for me to get some perspective from the bygone era. I really enjoyed your mock draft too, for the insight into the condition of each league and because you had nice things to say about me.

I've never met a VHLer in person, but that would be pretty cool. Hockey in general isn't supremely popular in Ohio, so I'm tickled just to meet an NHL fan, much less a VHL player.

Thanks for the top notch podcast content, I'm looking forward to the next one already!

As per Mubbles’ comment, I did indeed quickly bring up the VHLM bots being too good! I brought it to the BOG and it seems to be a consensus that they will be dropped to 25ish this season. #BOGLEAKS

Still, I also am a little concerned about the differentiation between the human players in general. Will we have some sour 200 TPE folks playing arbitrarily worse than a brand new 60 TPE semi-active? It’ll be an experimental season for such things!

Your mock draft didn’t turn out TOO bad.

When you say you met Jordan do you mean jordan888/Squinty? I think he was a BC boy too.

I have not met anyone from VHL irl, even though I very easily could meet any of the Saskatoon folks.

Anderson still pops in now and then 😛.

I wouldn’t be so surprised if he was here now under a sneaky alias. Might be @Shindigs even, who knows. That would be a great plot twist.

5 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

Will we have some sour 200 TPE folks playing arbitrarily worse than a brand new 60 TPE semi-active?

To be fair we already almost had that in some cases prior to the change. But it's probably going to be a lot more common with how some builds around 200 TPE have turned out. It is possible to have sub 50 in everything at 200 TPE, more or less. But who knows what results Simon will bless us with, really?

Holy smokes I don't know how, but @MubbleFubbles & @JardyB10, you both guessed right. It was @Velevra & @Squinty

Also, nice to know that you thought of that in advance, Jardy. I think dropping it to 25 or 30 will be good. It will be interesting how it plays out, I'm sure there may be a bit of tinkering to be done

• 2 weeks later...