On a flight to Istanbul

der meister

Sitting next to young Ryuji Sakamoto as the plane touched down in Istanbul (not Constantinople) was an interesting experience. Being embedded with a player like this typically starts as something of a stiff, formal exercise. There's a lot of awkwardness while both myself and the player get to know one another. Eventually the formality of it all generally fades away and the player begins to let me see the real person, not the highly-trained public relations façade that agents coach them into being.

Like with many things, Sakamoto is an exception to that expectation. On day one, he enthusiastically told me of his childhood exploits, piled gobs of ginger onto my plate at a sushi restaurant, and proffered his hand for a high five at the end of the meal. Ryuji Sakamoto's youthful exuberance is rarely not at the forefront of who he is in his inner essence. Breaking the cloud cover in Turkish air space and getting our first glimpse of the city below us - me looking over Sakamoto's shoulder, as he insisted on having the window seat – I found myself contemplating the young man whose life had already gone through huge changes and upheavals.

Following his stint in Mexico City, Sakamoto's April has been one he will likely never forget. After being drafted 7th overall to the Toronto Legion and having some introductory meetings with Legion Management and a few of the players, Sakamoto followed it up by being selected 3rd overall to the Istanbul Red Wolves. I've never been to Turkey, and while I enjoy the occasional falafel, I can't say that I'm overly familiar with the cuisine. I suspect it will be quite the culinary learning experience for Sakamoto, as well.

The city itself looks like something out of a Bond movie. Come to think of it, Sean Connery portrayed Double Oh Seven in Istanbul in "From Russia With Love", one of the more underrated Bond flicks. But I digress. The architecture, the waterfront, the arrangement of this ancient city is all so delightfully foreign. I think Sakamoto will have a difficult, if not impossible, time finding acceptable ramen. From a gastrointestinal perspective, Toronto will eventually be undoubtedly a more comfortable place for him.

Disembarking from the plane, the first thing that comes to my attention is the smell of the air. There's a faint spice carried by the light breeze, and it's not all just because I've been thinking about Turkish food and researching particular dishes I'm anxious to try.

"The air," Sakamoto says with wide-eyed wonder, "it smells so different."

The airport itself looks like a billion-dollar megamall, something out of Biff Tannen's 1985. It's a strange mix of hospital-like sterility with little blasts of neo-traditionalism. It's oddly disconcerting seeing polished tile floors, neatly arranged topiaries, and multi-million-dollar aircraft mixed with young ladies sitting in the windows of stylized eateries, make to look like the tourist's expectation of Istanbul, working their hands in a white dough and crafting manti, a dish I recognize from my research. My stomach growls.

"Let's grab a bite to eat before we head into the city," I suggest, staring longingly at the window. "My treat." Sakamoto grins in response and we head into the faux rusticity of the Istanbul airport restaurant, already beginning the next step on this incredible voyage.

Manti-.jpg

7 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Huge Japanese community in Istanbul with more then twenty Ramen restaurants. He should be fine finding Ramen and fitting into the historic city. 

I mean Istanbul is to 50% on the Asian continent ;)...