The Goalieacolypse is Here

CowboyinAmerica

The Goalieacolypse is Here

A few months ago I wrote about the upcoming goalie dilemma facing many VHL teams. Thanks to a banner S75 goalie draft class, there was a dearth of newly created goalies over the following couple of seasons, resulting in very few active goalies between the S76 and S78 draft classes. As a result, it meant that when those S75 draftees retired, there wouldn't be too many high TPE goalies left over.

My friends, we are here. Welcome to the Show.

image.png.cde06ae724e5991f0b82964702d33dab.png

That's your top 10 goalies in TPA entering the regular season - just eight goalies above 500 TPA in the entire league (once Utonium applies TPE) and just four above the 650 TPA mark. Three of the top four, including myself, are just entering their third VHL season by virtue of playing in the VHLE. A player in his second season will likely be fifth in goalie TPA by the time we hit the playoffs. Recent draft pick Brandt Fuhr is 13th and could be top ten by the end of the season. There's almost total turnover at the top of the goalie rankings from just last year.

And there's an added level of intrigue that I couldn't have seen coming when I originally wrote about the goalie dilemma: This may be one of the most important seasons for goalies in VHL history. Thanks to the new updating attributes, it's assumed that scoring will be down across the board, with the advantage swinging back towards defense and goalies. How big of a difference can a top goalie make in the new paradigm? I'm very excited to find out.

This is going to level off in a few seasons when the crop of S82, 83 and 84 goalies come into their primes. But for now, it's going to make for an interesting season or two; you can guarantee that at least two teams with sub-500 TPE goalies to start the season will make the VHL playoffs. And it'll be fun to track what this means for stats and awards as the season progresses.

3 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

How have you surpassed the entire S79 Draft class in TPE despite there being multiple weekly max earners in that class? :o

Fantasy Zone & Predictions luck it looks like?

I know who I'm copying this season.

13 hours ago, v.2 said:

Fantasy Zone & Predictions luck it looks like?

I know who I'm copying this season.

Actually this is the first season I've really done well in yearly predictions, and it was mostly just relying on the meta and Thad. Fantasy Zone I'm usually pretty decent, and that does add up.