Ctots Ctalks - VHL 9

ctots

Note: some profanity used in this episode

Other note: the audio quality improves at the 3:00 mark - skip ahead if the sound of car background noise bothers you.

https://anchor.fm/ctots/episodes/VHL-9-e1i4gco

Topics discussed:

• Recording apps for podcasting
  • Changing the UI color
  • Prospect Scouting Reports & other career point tasks
  • I'm way behind on fantasy TPE
  • Multis make me too paranoid
  • Questions from @Tate!

Background vehicle noise doesn’t bother me because I’m in a vehicle too.

Voice Memo sucks, I use AVR X as well. I’ve been pleased with it.

I don’t know nerd, program away!

I wasn’t aware you could change colours actually. Largely because that’s not something I care about.

I’m done all my career PTs 😎

Never apologize to @BOOM. Also I think Week 2 of fantasy was more of a gimme than usual.

No, Jack Johnson is an NHL player who loves Curious George.

😲😱 You’re blowing this case wide open with the @adison catch!

I’m also Gameboy stan. Super Mario Land 3 gave me cancer and I loved it. Oh fuck, not to mention the first Game and Watch gallery! I was unstoppable on Modern Manhole.

I think we all want to strive to be better parents than our parents, it’s what I most look forward to with parenthood!

We have plans to fuck off to the mountains next month, I’m really looking forward to it because I never go in the summer months.

”Love bone” 😏

I’m going to add Botany of Desire to my watchlist!

Adequate work as always. :cheers:

Edited by JardyB10

I record in my car as well so get a lot of background as well but I used to go top shirt pocket, but cause I don't think the app I use now records while on lock, I've moved it to like the middle of the car resting on top of the little ledge in front of the radio display.

I record straight on the anchor app. You can, if you want to, take it from there and import it into an editing tool but I usually just post it straight up as you can probably tell by my lack of intros haha!

Just tried green, looks pretty good! The fun thing about this green is every tag who is a normal member now has the same color as the VHLM Commissioner!

Ya, did all my Career PT's, infact I apparently did one a week early so it took a while for someone to update it!

Aw man, if someone had updated me in the last three days you would have been checking my player (I would've been at 22 TPE this week once that's updated!) But like Jardy says, this week's fantasy zone was much more profitable than usual

I get what you're saying how multis get you way more suspicious. Like right around the time Jack/Joey got their punishment, Creed got released from the Wranglers and that user (assassin6898) left the league around the time Jack Johnson joined and had a similar obsession with expansion teams and such with a similar writing style. I presume it's not him given the IP thing would've flagged it, but yeah, confirms the point you made about suspicion.

Yeah that's always crazy how people do a few low earning-multis instead of one actually good player, like Jack Johnson could have probably written a media spot, or at least a VHL.com, with the amount of words he used getting angry as "Joey", but instead claims welfare and doesn't do VHL.coms!

Ha, Thunder on the Storm, never noticed that!

Yeah I loved my Gameboy Colour and Pokemon Yellow in particular, I was gutted a few years ago when I found out it was broken cause one of the batteries left in had leaked out but the good thing is I can play Yellow on 3DS at least.

Haha, I always forget Joseph Gordon-Levitt's name as well!

Good listen! 

3 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

Background vehicle noise doesn’t bother me because I’m in a vehicle too.

The amount of VHLing you do in a vehicle (and I assume on mobile) is impressive. I hope all that driving doesn’t irritate you too much.

Voice Memo sucks, I use AVR X as well. I’ve been pleased with it.

I don’t know nerd, program away!

My gut tells me this project will never see the light of day, half because I won’t stay focused on it and half because I don’t have the technical expertise to write the app in a reasonable timeframe.

I wasn’t aware you could change colours actually. Largely because that’s not something I care about.

It doesn’t change much, honestly, just a pop of color on the borders of text boxes and on the subforum headers. Bonus UI fact: you can toggle between square or circle thumbnails for avatars. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

I’m done all my career PTs 😎

Nice! The Chronicles of Poopy is next on my reading list.

Never apologize to @BOOM. Also I think Week 2 of fantasy was more of a gimme than usual.

I’ll have to get a crib sheet from you smart folks in the DC locker room maybe. I don’t know the leagues that intimately so I just choose based on goal differential most times.

No, Jack Johnson is an NHL player who loves Curious George.

A former Blue Jacket! We love Jack Johnson.

😲😱 You’re blowing this case wide open with the @adison catch!

I can’t find it, but just imagine that scene in Scooby Doo episodes where they pull the monster mask off the real villain.

I’m also Gameboy stan. Super Mario Land 3 gave me cancer and I loved it. Oh fuck, not to mention the first Game and Watch gallery! I was unstoppable on Modern Manhole.

Does that mean you main Game and Watch in Smash Bros? I played a lot of Kirby’s Dream Land and I vividly remember sucking really bad at Paperboy.

I think we all want to strive to be better parents than our parents, it’s what I most look forward to with parenthood!

Lucky are we who have such a low standard to surpass, right? Am I supposed to be at least a little shitty to my son so that he can do better than me?

We have plans to fuck off to the mountains next month, I’m really looking forward to it because I never go in the summer months.

There’s never a bad time to fuck off to the mountains. Or anywhere, really. People should do more fucking off.

”Love bone” 😏

I’m going to add Botany of Desire to my watchlist!

Given that (I think) you deal in some type of science by trade, it would probably be of interest to you in particular.

Adequate work as always. :cheers:

Much appreciated!

2 hours ago, MubbleFubbles said:

I record in my car as well so get a lot of background as well but I used to go top shirt pocket, but cause I don't think the app I use now records while on lock, I've moved it to like the middle of the car resting on top of the little ledge in front of the radio display.

There’s something about car podcast ergonomics that really gets my motor running (no pun intended) because I still haven’t figured out the best way to set it up. I think you’re on the right track in the middle of the car, my phone was too bouncy sitting in the door.

I record straight on the anchor app. You can, if you want to, take it from there and import it into an editing tool but I usually just post it straight up as you can probably tell by my lack of intros haha!

Why haven’t I been recording with anchor? I’ll have to give that a shot, it would save me a good bit of time for the VHL.com podcasts. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just tried green, looks pretty good! The fun thing about this green is every tag who is a normal member now has the same color as the VHLM Commissioner!

You just blew my mind. I didn’t notice that it changed the tag color too! Neat!

Ya, did all my Career PT's, infact I apparently did one a week early so it took a while for someone to update it!

Thousands of words about The Board Game Clue on Skates? I’m very into that.

Aw man, if someone had updated me in the last three days you would have been checking my player (I would've been at 22 TPE this week once that's updated!) But like Jardy says, this week's fantasy zone was much more profitable than usual

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride, they say. It would be kinda fun to check in with the TPE leaderboard every week when I podcast and shout out the top few.

I get what you're saying how multis get you way more suspicious. Like right around the time Jack/Joey got their punishment, Creed got released from the Wranglers and that user (assassin6898) left the league around the time Jack Johnson joined and had a similar obsession with expansion teams and such with a similar writing style. I presume it's not him given the IP thing would've flagged it, but yeah, confirms the point you made about suspicion.

It’s weird how easily you can make those types of connections “oh both these users like X team” or “look, they both fire reacted this media post” and stuff. It’s a short road from there to weapons-grade paranoia.

Yeah that's always crazy how people do a few low earning-multis instead of one actually good player, like Jack Johnson could have probably written a media spot, or at least a VHL.com, with the amount of words he used getting angry as "Joey", but instead claims welfare and doesn't do VHL.coms!

Exactly what I was thinking! Why be known as two mid-tier users when you could instead be a good player and maybe win some awards.

Ha, Thunder on the Storm, never noticed that!

Based on our performance this season, we’ll let it slide!

Yeah I loved my Gameboy Colour and Pokemon Yellow in particular, I was gutted a few years ago when I found out it was broken cause one of the batteries left in had leaked out but the good thing is I can play Yellow on 3DS at least.

I don’t know if you’ve played it, but Let’s Go Pikachu is a pretty successful modern take on Pokémon Yellow. Not the same game by any stretch, but you get to tool around Kanto with a Pikachu following you around.

Haha, I always forget Joseph Gordon-Levitt's name as well!

Imagine how successful he could be if he had literally any other name.

Good listen! 

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, ctots said:

I don’t know if you’ve played it, but Let’s Go Pikachu is a pretty successful modern take on Pokémon Yellow. Not the same game by any stretch, but you get to tool around Kanto with a Pikachu following you around.

I have indeed, I actually got all 150 pokemon on it (well 152 since you can transfer a couple extra Pokemon Go ones over) which is the only time I've literally done what the game asks you to do and catch 'em all haha!

9 hours ago, BOOM said:

Now I have to listen, in order to find out what you're apologizing for. That is some sneaky marketing tactic! 

He's picking up those Jardy tactics.👀

"Change UI color"

I was going to use green at first, but it made everyone look like a VHLM Commish like Mubbles said. So I swapped it to Steam Gray. Makes it looks pretty clean. But makes reading tagged names a bit of a pain.

"Career Points Tasks"

I got my first 2 done in week 1/2 I was here, can't really remember much of anything I wrote in them. Then I just did the Rookie Experience the other month.

"5 Fantasy Zone TPE"

Last week was very high average payouts. I think just about every game was like top 3 team playing bottom 3 team.

"Multi paranoia"

Welcome, you're now in the VHL for real.

"What caused Jack Johnson to look at adison's profile?"

The bigger questions is why did YOU look at it. I mean sure you explained why, but let's ignore that and assume you're a multi too!

May have lost focus after this point, possibly.

Edited by Shindigs

I agree, you are a fucking baller!

identity baller GIF by Trulioo

The only G I know that I developed is me. ;)

I CAN CHANGE THE COLOR OF MY MENU'S!?!?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Green United Nations GIF by Angry Birds

Best Career PT Eva

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, and can also net you the highest amount of fantasy payout points! (I suck at it too)

The multi paranoia is thick! Am I a... multi?

I too felt the Gameboy envy, but never was able to get my hands on one. I can understand the mad love for it. 

Children are not required in life, but I recommend them. There is no greater feeling for me than that of being a father. I love hearing that from you and I am sure all of us good Dad's can agree!

Aruba, Jamaica, ooh, I wanna take ya
Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama

Brick is a great movie, and I love Role Models too - Larping yo! I'm down with that every day of my life.  I have never heard of that doc, and now must check it out.  

You're welcome! And thank you for another great show. You da man!

Edited by Tate

25 minutes ago, Tate said:

I agree, you are a fucking baller!

identity baller GIF by Trulioo

You're a great hype man, I'll take it!

The only G I know that I developed is me. ;)

Nuthin' but a G Thang, baby.

I CAN CHANGE THE COLOR OF MY MENU'S!?!?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Green United Nations GIF by Angry Birds

It's gotta be a relatively new feature, right? It can't have been under our noses this whole time!

That was a thrill ride and 500% more effort than I intended to put into mine, so I've got some thinking to do. I'm also scared of Brandt Fuhr now, so that's cool. What a great read!

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, and can also nets you the highest amount of fantasy payout points! (I suck at it too)

We're delegating, it's efficient time management.

The multi paranoia is thick! Am I a... multi?

Please join a discord call with a mod and your multi to sort this out.

I too felt the Gameboy envy, but never was able to get my hands on one. I can understand the mad love for it. 

I can't even calculate the amount of money your family saved on batteries. That thing would just burn through them in the worst way.

Children are not required in life, but I recommend them. There is no greater feeling for me than that of being a father. I love hearing that from you and I am sure all of us good Dad's can agree!

For the sake of balance, I'd also like to add that it's the most frustrating and difficult part of my life. In a good way(?)

Aruba, Jamaica, ooh, I wanna take ya
Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama

Fun fact: we chose Aruba for our honeymoon purely on the basis that their coins are magnetic. I was 23 and it was my first time out of the country. Someone who worked at the resort thought we were from the U.K. which was at the time flattering (which, why?) and baffling simultaneously.

Brick is a great movie, and I love Role Models too - Larping yo! I'm down with that every day of my life.  I have never heard of that doc, and now must check it out.  

This was such a difficult question, but I feel like I can stand by these answers a day later. Honorable mention to the movie I've watched the most times: Wayne's World.

You're welcome! And thank you for another great show. You da man!

Blush Stop It GIF by MOODMAN