A tale of two Brothers // Fast Forward

Jeak8iM.png

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

We missed out on many games and we sincerely apologize for that. However, we are doing a quick recap and will add an interview with our intrepid youngster on their chase for glory.

VasterasTeamBar.png

Marcel's Vasteras Eagles have won the last 17 games and are head and shoulders above the competition in the VHLE with a comfortable 12 point lead over the second best team in Beardislava Bratislava. Marcel as well as Gonçalves have been regular contributors to Vasteras' succes. Marcel has a atypical high shooting percentage of 9.78% which puts him third of the team. Leandro is leading the team in game winning goals with six, which also puts him to tied second in the league, behind Calgary prospect Bob Chicoine. We are convinced this is something Wranglers' GM Ricer is happy to see, as clearly the Alberta team is in need of players being able to tip the scales in the team's favour. It also looks as Marcel can finish a season with a positive +/- rating and less than 200 shots blocked. He is leading his team in PIM though, with almost double the minutes in the sinbin as the next best Iron Eagle in that category in Bridgers.

CGY_bar_mFmKLZ5.png

Daniel's Wranglers struggle with consistency, but against all odds occupy a Wild Card spot at the moment. They are in a less comfortable situation than Vasteras though, as the competition is breathing down their neck and every slip up can doom the franchise to a no-post-season fate. Daniel mirrors to some extent Calgary's problems with consistency as some games he is a force and deciding games singlehandledly mixed up with phases where he is not even on the score sheet. At the time of writing this article, he is on a 45 points trajectory, which is nowhere near last year's PPG average. It seems he is on a sophomore slump. On the plus side he is not as a frequent guest in the ice box as last season and is therefore less of a liability in that respect. Kotkakoivu looks like he will easily surpass his last season's scoring. We also wish to give a shout-out to Johnson who is now the Wrangler All-Time leader in hits with approaching the 1800 hits mark (not counting the hits he delivered for the Bears).

We had an opportunity to talk to the two Swiss players. Please find the interviews as follows:

Gretta Hjalmarsdottir (GH): 'Marcel, your team is top of the league with no serious contender in sight. Are you going to win the Renaissance Cup?'

Marcel Janser (MJ): 'Hi Gretta. I do not agree that we have no contenders. As you know some of the wins we had recently were one goal affairs and it does not take much in hockey for the puck luck to turn on you. We have to work hard every night out there to get the results and if we get complacent, it will be punished. As to the other question, we play to win and that includes to go all the way and win the cup. But there are seven other teams who will do whatever it takes to win. At the moment we are in a very good position to make the playoffs and once there, everything is possible.'

GH: 'How do you judge your performance so far in your second year with Vasteras?'

MJ: 'We are much more competitive and that helps my +/- rating, which looks to be positive for the first time in my career. Unfortunately, I take a lot of penalties, something I should work on. As to date, I am roughly on track to repeat my last season's offensive output, which I am happy with, considering I am a defence first defender.'

GH: 'Will you be playing for the Wranglers next season?'

MJ: 'That is a question for Ricer, but I hope to be called up. Calgary has somewhat of a lack in defencemen, and even if I will not be a top player, I may give AirRig and Bob some relieve.'

GH: 'Ok, that is all for now. Thanks for your time and good luck.'

MJ: 'My pleasure and thanks for having me.'

Jean-Luc Lieuxperroux (JLL): 'Hi Daniel, how are you? Please summarize the Wranglers' season so far.'

Daniel Janser (DJ): 'Hi Jean-Luc. I am fine, thanks. Well, this season has been a bit of a roller coaster as we seem not to be able to get some consecutive wins together. Sometimes we lose games and do not know why, other times we win games we have no business of even being near to win, but due to individuals making a superhuman effort (namely our rookie goaltender Dahl), we still do. So we may be able to make the Wild Card spot, but it does not take much to lose same in the remainder of the regular season.'

JLL: 'And how do you summarize your personal performance thus far?'

DJ: 'I knew it will be difficult this season with the rebuild we are undergoing. There were highlights however and it started already before the first faceoff, as I was named one of the alternate captains, which is a great honour. I stay out of the box more than last season and block more shots. Also I had one SHG which certainly is nice. Last but not least, I was first star three times this season, whereas I had the same honour twice last season. And even though my scoring is not as high as it was last time around, it is more meaningful.'

JLL: 'Can you please elaborate your last statement?'

DJ: 'Of course. Last season I scored 23 goals, only one of them a game winner and we won 38 games that season. This season, I scored 19 goals so far, with three of them being game winning goals and we won only 18 games. So you can see that last season I 'secured' 2.63% of the wins, this time around it is 16.67%. I also think that my offensive output for a two-way player was inflated last year, profiting from a high scoring era which is now over, due to the rule changes made by the league in the pre-season. 

JLL: 'Thanks for your insight and good luck for the remainder of the season.'

DJ: Thanks, much appreciated. Take care.'

Here are the Jansers' stats as of now:

Marcel: 44gp, 9g, 21a, 30pts, +12, 74 PIM, 68 hits, 51sb, 2gwg, 6ppg

Daniel: 47gp, 19g, 13a, 32pts, -17, 31 PIM, 101 hits, 81sb, 3gwg, 2ppg, 1shg, 53.94FO%

https://vhlforum.com/topic/120289-a-tale-of-two-brothers-regular-season-again-at-long-last-part-one/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/120291-a-tale-of-two-brothers-regular-season-again-at-long-last-part-two/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/120317-a-tale-of-two-brothers-trudging-on/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/120397-a-tale-of-two-brothers-the-saga-continues/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/120432-a-tale-of-two-brothers-the-emperors-new-clothes/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/120456-a-tale-of-two-brothers-onwards-always-onwards/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/120464-a-tale-of-two-brothers-make-and-mend/

1094 words.

Edited by Daniel Janser