2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Do you remember of Vanek in the playoffs with the Habs? Exactly.

That is a fair sentiment.

I still say he pulls a Gaborik as he is far more similar to him than any other comparison. Guys who had proven the talent not just to produce in the NHL but produce very well. On top of that, Semin's bouts of lazy play has caused people to falsely label him a "bad" defensive player. Go look at his Coris stats, (even from last season) go watch him actually play. When he isn't lazy, he back checks, he is a solid stick checker, he can kill penalties. He has done all those things well. He doesn't lack the ability to do them. It's his motivation.

But like Gaborik, Semin knows this is his last chance in the NHL. After being traded to LA it was the same deal for Gaborik. If he didn't perform, his time was likely done. If Semin WANTED an easy out, if he was looking for the lazy play, he would of returned to the KHL. He got bought on a huge deal, the only incentive for him to stay in the NHL is to win. But to stay he'll have to stop being lazy.

You'll get at least two hard working seasons out of him, and I'd put my money on that. 

Disagree. His defensive play leaves a lot to be desired.

See my previous post. He played on an offensive only squad in Washington. His first few seasons in Carolina I ended up catching a lot of the Canes games. Most of Semins goals/primary assists came off his work on the forecheck, or in the neutral zone stealing the puck. I'm not denying he can be lazy, and he certainly was even with the Canes. But when he was on a contract year with them? They didn't sign him to that contract just based on offensive output alone. He is an underrated defensive player when he actually puts the work ethic in. 

Considering the rest of the squad was balanced and Vanek was the third highest scorer, not sure thats the best example.

you probably haven't watch the habs at that time, because he was horrible. Lacking of effort, inconsistent and unaware defensively. That's why he played on the 4th line at the end. With our current roster, Semin won't be able to play on the 4th line. It's 2nd line or bust.  

Edited by boubabi

you probably haven't watch the habs at that time, because he was horrible. Lacking of effort, inconsistent and unaware defensively. That's why he played on the 4th line at the end. With our current roster, Semin won't be able to play on the 4th line. It's 2nd line or bust.  

I watched them. They were in the post season so more spotlight because every second night is a game. I saw the same lack of effort from plenty of Habs. But using a scapegoat is what all fanbases do at times I guess.

Getting ready for Boubabi to eat SO MUCH CROW regarding Alex Semin! Soon! Very soon! 

Oh by the way, chances are high he's starting a first line with Eller and Galychenku. Here is a camp highlight from Gally and Semin

http://gfycat.com/VerifiableShockingJerboa

Hot damn that pass, and the finish! Don't worry Boobs when Semin is still top six and a solid point getter for you guys in December I fully expect you to eat that crow as hard it gets. 

Watch Semin get like 70 points this season, hes going to do something like what Rebeiro did last season. Both similar players in similar positions.

Watch Semin get like 70 points this season, hes going to do something like what Rebeiro did last season. Both similar players in similar positions.

woahh...even max pac doesn't get 70 pts in mtl, calm your expectation 

woahh...even max pac doesn't get 70 pts in mtl, calm your expectation 

Who on Nashville in recent seasons has hit 62? Semin has skill and has to prove he is an NHL player. I am not expecting him to hit 70. Just saying dont be surprised if he has a huge season point wise.

Ribeiro was playing 1st line center in NSH if I'm not wrong. NSH offensive problems are well known (mostly before Laviolette). Forsberg got 63 and I still think that a healthy James Neal is a 60+ pts player.

and Mike Ribeiro, without his drug addiction and shit, was well known to be a very good offensive talent, like Semin. I don't think Semin has/had those problems. Like many russian players, he just has ethic problems.

Edited by boubabi

Wait, what does his former drug addiction have to do with his output last year? I mean it's one thing to criticize his out ic play but to say his drug addiction is a factor when that wasn't part of the discussion is just evil.

damn it kendrick, sometime I feel like I'm speaking to a wall. His drug addiction WAS a result of his poor stats/ethic for a couple of season. If you knew about Mike Ribeiro's story a bit more, when he signed in Nashville, him and his wife promised that he will stay sober. By staying sober, he had a great season and a better ethic in Nashville.

Semin doesn't have a major addiction to a drug or alcohol (from what we know) so his performance couldn't be affected by those. The only reason of why nobody wanted him last summer is because of his natural poor ethic. Good thing he has another chance at proving us wrong. 

damn it kendrick, sometime I feel like I'm speaking to a wall. His drug addiction WAS a result of his poor stats/ethic for a couple of season. If you knew about Mike Ribeiro's story a bit more, when he signed in Nashville, him and his wife promised that he will stay sober. By staying sober, he had a great season and a better ethic in Nashville.

Semin doesn't have a major addiction to a drug or alcohol (from what we know) so his performance couldn't be affected by those. The only reason of why nobody wanted him last summer is because of his natural poor ethic. Good thing he has another chance at proving us wrong. 

Thanks for the subtle shot. I mean sometimes I feel like i'm talking to someone who avoids speaking english like the plague.

Maybe Semin does have an addiction or distraction, hard to judge his character if we don't know. But I guess I with hold judgement until I know the real reason. There always seems to be some underlying issue with guys that comes out after.

said the guy who thinks I did a subtle shot 

If you don't think "Sometimes i feel like I'm talking to a wall" is a subtle shot, you may what to rephrase what you meant. Because saying I used the "language card" after basically a racist comment about Russians, it's like pot met kettle and invited him to homecoming.

Yes kendrick, I honestly think that you are a legitimate wall. 

Last summer, I was with a kid who cried because his fellow friend called him a pool. He honestly thought he was a pool, that's why he was crying. 

If you don't think "Sometimes i feel like I'm talking to a wall" is a subtle shot, you may what to rephrase what you meant. Because saying I used the "language card" after basically a racist comment about Russians, it's like pot met kettle and invited him to homecoming.

a racist comment about russian ? are you fucking serious ? Are you part of the web police or something ? 

Yes kendrick, I honestly think that you are a legitimate wall. 

Last summer, I was with a kid who cried because his fellow friend called him a pool. He honestly thought he was a pool, that's why he was crying. 

Huh? I know what you meant by what you said dude. I don't think anyone would read it as an actual wall. It's a figure of speech.

a racist comment about russian ? are you fucking serious ? Are you part of the web police or something ? 

No I'm not. Just wondering how the language card is "played" and no mention of the Russian comment. You say you feel like you are taking to a wall but you barely comprehend simple things here.

Anyways, like I said Vanek wasn't the only issue with the Habs that year. Ribs addiction and character is not his stats, base things off stats.