2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Oh and by the way, this happened a few games ago. No penalty was called. Not a whole lot of difference between the two:

yDn7b3.gif

Not to mention this hit -- way, way worse than either of these other hits -- went completely undisciplined by the NHL.

Finally, to step away from Burrows for a bit: the officials also ignored the part with Jones smashed Vrbata's face into the dasher. I don't think that's supposed to be "okay".

BetterOffensiveAngelfish.gif

Burrows (and to a lesser degree, the Canucks) have been marked ever since the incident with Auger and it's fucking pathetic that seven years later, the NHL still can't get over it. As far as I know, the NHL has refused to give the Canucks explanation on six suspendable hits against the Canucks since January of last year. All but the Toffoli board on Burrows have resulted in injury; one has ended a player's career. Canucks fans have every god damn right to be furious at the NHL, the official, and the DoPS. There is no accountability for all three of those groups.

Edited by Sandro

I like how you link the gif as if I hadnt already seen the play 15 times.  Not much point in arguing about this.  The ref got it right in my opinion.  Probably doesn't need more of a suspension (though I won't be shocked if there is one), but it's just another thing in the long list of stuff that Burrows done.  The guy is an effective player many times, but he is incapable of turning off 'ball hockey douche mode'.

Looks like no suspension for Burrows.  Maggie the Monkey must have spun the wheel of justice a slightly different way this morning. No matter, he'll be suspended next year again because he can't help himself.  Biting Bergeron, tried to castrate Marc Staal ... Emelin, McDonagh .. the list goes on.  Aside from Matt Cooke and Patrick Kaleta, there are few players who are more dangerous and putrid than Burrows. 

I'd like to take a break from bitching about the NHL to be legitimately excited about the Canucks prospects for once. The Utica Comets won 5-1 tonight, their 8th straight win, and are on the verge of clinching their division. Hunter Shinkaruk scored for the fifth game in a row, Ben Hutton scored the GWG in his pro debut, and Sven Bae(rstchi) scored two goals. Corrado has gotta make the jump soon, plus Horvat and Kenins have already locked down spots with the big club. Having a solid prospect pool feels fucking goooooooooooooooooood.

Shinkaruk's goal from tonight: 

PresentMeaslyHamadryas.gif

Hutton GWG from tonight's game:

FavorableTerrificIrrawaddydolphin.gif

Baertschi's two goals from tonight

PessimisticCrispBlackrussianterrier.gif

VelvetyThirstyArcticseal.gif

And just for good measure, here's a beauty by Hunter Shinkaruk in the Comets' previous game (at 1:40):

https://youtu.be/jfLF4M6Tad8?t=1m40s

Edited by Sandro

Looks like no suspension for Burrows.  Maggie the Monkey must have spun the wheel of justice a slightly different way this morning. No matter, he'll be suspended next year again because he can't help himself.  Biting Bergeron, tried to castrate Marc Staal ... Emelin, McDonagh .. the list goes on.  Aside from Matt Cooke and Patrick Kaleta, there are few players who are more dangerous and putrid than Burrows. 

THEY WERE ALL ACCIDENTS!! Burrows has a history of unintentional dirtiness!

That particular hit though from yesterday, I don't see it being intentional at all. Just looked like they accidentally collided.

Edited by DollarAndADream

Canucks prospects though, I agree they're looking fantastic.

Baertschi has been an absolute steal thus far for the Canucks. I very much expected that though as the Flames organization seemed to have thrown him under the bus....and he wanted a dffierent team. I'm just surprised it was the Canucks they traded him to.

Shinkaruk finally seems to be hitting his groove. The injuries he's been through have definitely been a sort of plague for him. The kid has always had flash, and I loved what I saw from him in the pre-season before.

I still remember before last season that Horvat and Shinkaruk were announced to have made the team out of pre-season. Then all of a sudden a day or 2 later, Tortorella sends them both to junior. Torts never trusted the young guys.

That probably was for the best though...Horvat and Shink both probably needed the more experience. Plus, that failure of a season led us to Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann.

They weren't announced to make the roster, but they were the last two cuts. The Canucks traded for Zac freakin' Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh, and off when Shink and Bo to junior.

yup fml baers gonna be a good 3rd line guy heheehoho 

gd thing our prospects r gd but pls baer become da next rico fata 

You will address him properly as Sven Bae or not at all.  :P

Edited by Sandro

They weren't announced to make the roster, but they were the last two cuts. The Canucks traded for Zac freakin' Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh, and off when Shink and Bo to junior.

Which is a good thing, otherwise Horvat and Shink would've struggled on the pro roster. Yes Welsh and Dalpe suck but they took up a roster spot higher on the depth chart in the organization, which is a blessing in disguise for the Canucks prospects.

Which is a good thing, otherwise Horvat and Shink would've struggled on the pro roster. Yes Welsh and Dalpe suck but they took up a roster spot higher on the depth chart in the organization, which is a blessing in disguise for the Canucks prospects.

Oh it's absolutely a good thing. Last season may turn out to be a bit of a blessing in disguise, because they ended it after one season instead of letting the experiment continue a la Keenan.

Ottawa

Florida

LA

San Jose

Dallas

Only teams I can see possibly squeaking into a play off spot but do any of them do it? I think San Jose is finished at this point, a little too late for Dallas. Florida and Ottawa are interesting the the Bruins have been stringing together wings. LA can go miss the playoffs, I don't mind.

LA and Ottawa.

San Jose and Dallas are done. They'd need to win out to even have a hope at the final wildcard spot, and I don't see that happening at all. Florida will push but I think they're just too far back to get there. They'd also need to win out and hope for Boston and Ottawa to collapse.

Fuck LA tho. #OperationRegicide

You will address him properly as Sven Bae or not at all.  :P

It wasn't an official announcement, but it was reported by multiple news outlets. A quick Google search leads me to this Sportsnet one.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-horvat-shinkaruk-starting-in-nhl/

It's crazy to think Ovie has accomplished so much goal scoring records before he's even turned 30. Only sixth player in NHL history to have 6 50 goal seasons. Broke Bondra's record for franchise lead in goals. He's also only 1 goal away from hitting the top 50 in all time goals scored. 

It's tough to say going forward how great he'll be, considering he could get injured or eventually taper off. But if he has the luck he's had with injuries and manages to be as consistent even till he's like 35, the possibility of him shattering even more records becomes more likely by the season. It isn't even that crazy to think he could tie Gretzky/Bossy for most 50 goal seasons ever with 9. While I highly doubt he passes or ties Gretzky for all time goals, him being in the top five or better is a distinct possibility. 

Ovie's been amazing. He's in his own class of goal scoring, really.

Imagine a guy of his calibur back in the Gretzky days, he would kill it.

You could probably say that about a lot of players though, with the way hockey has evolved and goaltending being that much harder to beat these days.

So many goals back then were along the side against those stand-up goalies.

Canucks and Flames lose, Kings obliterate the Oilers. Fuck.

Somehow Mike Richards was still a -1 tho.

Richards joke? He didn't play.

Whatever happened to Richards, anyways...he used to be pretty awesome.

Hall and Lander were a +1 and Eberle was even. That's pretty awesome for an 8-2 loss.