Way ... Way... Way too Early Mock draft ......... (VHL Season 84 Draft)

Here is a way too early draft of the Season 84 VHL Draft and why I would select these players in the different slots. I am also going assume all the teams retain position based on the final points standings in the season so I am going to be way off on a few of the teams but most of the players I thing should still be selected around where I am going to place them. (Final last words)

Edit*

Spoiler

I also quickly looked at the draft position based on actual standing as I know them after the first round of the play-offs and while the teams slot into different positions most of the players selected by the teams actually doesn`t change that much with Toronto losing out and

Helsinki become the bigger win. The draft could really change at Helsinki pick if they change who they select; but I am not going to edit 3500 words media. I am staying with the points placement since Play-offs and draft Lotto will change all this anyways.

1. :la: LA Stars:

First selection of the Season 84 VHL Draft will be made by LA Stars; who finished last in the VHL last season with an 15-49-8 record with 38pts; five points back of the Vancouver Wolves. What holes does the team have heading into the draft; while they lack overall defenseman and with the top half of the draft heavy on defenders with seven of the possible sixteen players being defenseman. It is safe to say that LA Stars will select a defender so which defender? It will be down between Callum Murray, Scoish Velociraptor Maloish and Pierre Emile Bouchard. I have LA Star selecting:

Spoiler

🇦🇺Callum Murray – D – 6’7”- 225lbs – 22yrs – :col:Cologne Express

While Murray didn`t put up a ton of offensive numbers this season as first generation of players that was given permission to skip the VHLM draft to sign as free agents in the VHLE; this was more down to the depth of the team that he decided to sign with in Cologne Express. He has led the way in potential and development since ranking for the draft started over as season and half ago so I cannot see LA Stars not selecting Murray as the first overall selection in the draft. He is a max overall earner and has the ability to donate meaning unless something unexpected happens he should be a corner piece to the defence for the Stars for season to come.

2. :la:LA Stars via Trade ( :que:Vancouver Wolves)

Second selection via a trade with the Vancouver Wolves actually see LA Stars selecting 1-2 in this season draft. Which makes this selection a bit more interesting since team used the first overall selection to take a franchise defender in Murray so the team could either look to select a franchise forward or build the team around two franchise defenders. Either way the selection should come down between Napoleon Dynamite and Scoish Velociraptor Maloish as both players are max earner have also been donating up until this stage of their careers. I have LA Stars selecting:

Spoiler

:usa:  Napoleon Dynamite – C – 6`1” – 172lbs – 16yrs – :brt:Bratislava Watchmen

This is a case that a franchise forward of Dynamites potential is simply too good to pass on if they have the first two selections as stated the draft is deep with defense talent meaning as the second round starts; if the order stays the same means LA will also select 17th & 18th meaning defenders Jimmy MacElroy or Gruffud Theofylaktos should easily be available to the team to continue adding defensive depth to their prospects pool.

3.    :dav:  HC Davos Dynamo

The first non-based LA team to draft will be HC Davos, the question here is what do they actually require as they have what seems to be a set defensive core with David Tavau and James Teekirque returning with Rookie prospects Siyan Yasilievich and Jake Thunder expected to join the roster next season. HC Davos also has three forward prospects that look like they are on the verge of joining the roster either next season or the year after so they don`t have any pressing concerns other then maybe between the pipes but surely it is too early to draft a tender. If I am correct, they will have another selection shortly after this selection so this might be the case of taking the player that they really want with this selection but I still think it is down between Cobalt Burns and Art Vandelay as to whom they select here at number three. I have HC Davos selecting:

Spoiler

🇨🇦  Cobalt Burns – LW – 5`11” – 185lbs – 21yrs – :osl:  Oslo Storm

Burns was another generational player that skipped the VHLM this past season and he managed the season well with 23 goals – 28 assist for 51pts. I think HC Davos makes this selection based on the lack of forward depth in the draft and the fact that they should be able to land one of the top three tenders later in the first round. They don`t need another defender unless they are looking for a franchise defender in either Scoish Velociraptor Maloish or Pierre Emile Bouchard but I think the forward need outweighs the need for another forward at this point of the teams rebuild. Considering I also have both Maloish and Bouchard falling in the draft at this point.

4.   :nya:  New York Americans

This is a slam dunk selection as New York has a glaring gap on the back-end and if I am correct, they will be selecting one of the top three defenders in the draft when they select:

Spoiler

🇧🇲  Scoish Velociraptor Maloish – D – 5`10”- 200lbs – 45yrs – :brt:Bratislava Watchmen

Traded at the deadline all but suggest this player is expecting to play in the VHL next season. This is a case of familiarity for the team and the player agent so New York drafts Maloish at number four; who is very much still as max earner and donates from time to time. This will give the team a franchise defender that they badly need at this point of their rebuild. Other option for the teams would be Pierre Emile Bouchard but lack of familiarity leads me to believe he will be passed on again.

5.     :dav: HC Davos Dynamo via Trade ( :mal:Malmo Nighthawks)

See above as the team does require a defender so I am going to assume that the team is once again going to look either forward or goaltender but as they still have a first-round selection with the 8th selection I am expecting them to take:

Spoiler

🇮🇹  Noodles Marconi – RW – 6`0” – 187lbs – 21yrs – :s30nya:Istanbul Red Wolves

Ignore his stats this season as he has been very much a depth forward on a under-preforming Red Wolves team. Another max earn should join HC Davos giving the team a much needed 1-2 punch on the wings with Burns (drafted earlier) and now Marconi. They will bank on these two players become franchise players for them.

6.     :tor: Toronto Legion via Trade ( :chi:  Chicago Phoenix)

Looking at the team roster they don`t have any real needs with prospects being very close to joining the team either next season or year after; with Ryuji Sakamoto and Harry Hagel all but locks to join the defensive core next season so one might assume they require a forward but they also have three forward close to making the jump to the VHL in Ashton Komaryk, Alessio Simeoni and Phoebe Bridgers. Not to mention another prospect not that far behind in Calen McKay so they really should be looking to add more overall depth for the future so I think they will select:

Spoiler

🇨🇦Pierre Emile Bouchard – D – 6`4”-235lbs – 20yrs – :sto:Stockholm Vikings

This is going to be an interesting situation if this should actually happen as I know first-hand this player wanted to play in the VHL next season. It could also lead to a situation where the best available player for the VHLE draft also drops in the respective draft only to become a major bargain much later in the VHLE draft should someone take the risk. Either way this would secure the Legions defence allowing them to focus elsewhere for the next few seasons.

7.    :que:   Vancouver Wolves via Trade ( :dcd:  DC Dragons)

What to say about Vancouver but they really needed the second overall selection and then some to really help start the rebuild ahead of them. On the bright side they have two first round selection next season and have Brandt Fuhr; already on the roster and soon an addition of Brain Kowalski to the defensive core. Simple put they require everything but a goaltender. After stopping and thinking about it a bit plus looking at the draft ranking Vancouver should select a defender:

Spoiler

🇱🇻  AK92 Wit Da Hoodie – D – 5`11” – 190lbs – 29yrs – :sdm:San Diego Marlins

Simply put taking the next available best player in the draft while I consider that they might reach down a bit at first. I think this will not be the case as they have too many holes that require filling so best available player makes sense in this situation. Only issue at this stage of the draft minus the goalies; we are now starting to see players that should stay a full season in the VHLE before joining the VHL teams. This doesn`t mean they won`t make the jump sooner than later but most would expect any player under 350 to say a season in the VHLE. Problem for Vancouver is they require the help now so expect them to be active in the Free agency period or continue to trade for future assets at the draft. Da Hoodie gives Vancouver a very good piece to work around and makes this a great selection for the team.

8.    :dav:   HC Davos Dynamo via Trade ( :cal:  Calgary Wranglers)

We should all know what is coming here and that is Davos finally selecting the tender that the team requires. This will come down to preference between Art Vandelay and Clueless Wallob but also considering the teams overall depth at the tender position with Red Gaming, Sam Tombstone and Travis Clark; I could also see them deciding against taking a tender here as well selecting the next best player instead leaving the question are they going to three- peat on the forward side or add depth on the defensive side. I think they will select:

Spoiler

🇳🇱  Malum Maellard – D –  6`4”- 230lbs – :sdm:San Diego Marlins

I have them selecting a sure bet and adding a depth defender that will most likely join the team in season 85 after playing a full season and developing in the VHLE. This a more of look to the future pick rather than a now pick; which makes senses with the third selection in the top half of the draft. This will secure the backend and given them another defending prospect.

9.   :mos:  Moscow Menace via Trade ( :tor:  Toronto Legion)    

Best team in the standing selection in the middle of the first round should be enough to state that they don`t have any real holes in the current roster but that could change in the future if current tender Papa Emeritus decides not to take the mutual option or walks a season later. So, is this the place where a tender actually gets selected? No!! I think they select a player to add depth to the prospect pool with an eye towards filling holes a season or two out so they should select:

Spoiler

🇺🇦  Faith Hope Love – D – 6`0” – 220lbs – 23yrs – :sdm:San Diego Marlins

Oh, Wow!! Three straight Marlins selected in the top nine of the VHL draft rather suggest they should win the Founder`s cup this season now doesn`t it. This is a selection based on depth need as the team already has two forward prospects looking to join the team next season but still have Matty Live as the best defending prospect about as season away and Nicholas Blue still a further two season away. This means we will see a developmental race between three players if Love is drafted to try to make the roster in season 85. Filling the roster spot of retiring Jan Hlozek.

10.  :hel:Helsinki Titans

As we move to the later part of the first round, we find better and better teams. Helsinki is actually a very deep and young team with a roster all set if everyone resigns for the foreseeable future with only Gustislav Nasherov retiring in the next two season at the end of season 85. They also have at least five prospects that are ready to make the roster next season in Johnny Xavier, Hammer Voss, Rob (your last name is too long) Vladovechsenkchushkin, Bradley Buzzer and Janet Snakehole. With at least four more prospect another two season away. They don`t have a goaltending prospect in the system but do they really need one with Xavier Booberry locked up for the next three season with a fourth season before he retires. Does a tender drafted here want to wait three to four seasons before they get their chance? I think the top two tenders in the draft would most likely not like to sit that long and reaching down for the third tender is just that a reach. Who do they select then?

Spoiler

:usa:  Dogwood Maple – C – 6`2” – 195lbs – 18yrs – :veg: Las Vegas Aces

With a full line of three forwards and two defenders ready to move to the team next season I had to look further down the depth chart to see if I could find fit for this team but with again another three forwards and two defenders in the next prospect group means they are covered except the forwards are all wingers meaning they have a need to either add a center or convert a winger to center. Easier to draft right? Also making this selection easier is the fact that they are the next best available player. The first of the first-generation player to be selected and has shown all the right tools to continue to be successful in the league in the future. Either way I think Helsinki drafts a center with this selection.

11.  :cal:  Calgary Wranglers via Trade ( :ldn:London United)

Calgary has two players that will retire at the end of the season; which brings your eyes towards replace at least one of those two players. One is forward Phil The Rock Johnson and the other is back-up tender Jurgis Kalvelis Blazevicius so one would assume that I am going to suggest replace Phil? That isn`t the case as the team has three forward prospect ready to join the team next season and could have actually been a part of the team this season but decided to chase glory in the VHLE; all on different team might I add. The team could add a defender but when I look at the teams’ tenders; starter and prospects they could really need a services of a franchise tender. Ben Dahl the team current start is what we would call a clicker completing welfare, trivia, practice and press conference every week; still more than most clickers but still a clicker the same. Prospect in Alex Parise is inactive and Daniel McGleis is also inactive. They need a tender that could replace Ben Dahl in a few seasons while playing minute as back-up. They select:

Spoiler

:usa:  Art Vandelay – G – 5`6” – 196lbs – 33yrs – :mia: Miami Marauders

Size here is a bit of a concern so wouldn`t be surprised if Wranglers did decide to select the much larger Clueless Wallob instead but either way this where the first tender should actually be selected.

12. :prg:  Prague Phantoms

Another very good team that could use a bit of an upgrade on the defense but Prague top prospect is also a defender that could fill the very roll that either next season or the start of season 85 when Asher Reinhart and JaredN Jr both retire. This means the team needs to fill the gap so they will select:

Spoiler

🇫🇮  Velociraptor Greg – D – 6’3” – 200lbs – 24yrs – :veg: Las Vegas Aces

This is a case of need as they will look to the future to fill the gaps of the departing players starting in season 85 and Greg will be first of likely many defenders added between start of next season and the end of season 86 when the whole defensive core of the Phantoms are set to retire. The teams forward core seems stable and this is assuming that David Davis resigns with the team meaning they don`t end up with an immediate gap between the pipes to fill.

13. :war:  Warsaw Predators

Oh, Wow!! They have three prospect and two of them are inactive. The other prospect is two seasons away from making the team and while at first look the team seems in good shape this is before you notice the retirements of Brian Moreau and Kristof Welch. Welch is the big hole to replace and most likely will be complete, if possible, via free agency but we are not here to talk about that we are here drafting players. They cannot fill the needs with this pick as they need generally speaking prospects meaning multiple selections or trade returning picks and prospects. Again, we are not here to talk about trading picks or players so I am trying to think what helps them the most. This one tough but I think:

Spoiler

🇧🇹  Clueless Wallob. – G – 6’5” – 220lbs – 33yrs – :sdm:San Diego Marlins

Only two years removed from selecting Wumbo and having him as the team’s starter. I think this is a case of best available player that can help the team sooner then later. Wallob should surpass Wumbo when it comes to development in a few season as projected franchise tender it would be tough to pass on this tender if he was still available; I think. Other option would be taking the best available player which would be Tyler Busser.

14.  :hel: Helsinki Titans via Trade ( :rig:Riga Reign)

Helsinki comeback to the podium four selection later, and much of what I stated about reaching down for the third tender remains true expect the top two tenders have been selected already meaning Helsinki has a choice to make do they really require a back-up tender or do they require another prospect that should be ready to join the team by the start of season 85 or at latest season 86. I think they select:

Spoiler

:can:  Tyler Busser – C – 6’0” – 200lbs – 18yrs – :sdm:San Diego Marlins

This comes down simple not being able to pass on the such a great talent for something that you don`t require just yet and can get at a later date. Players like Busser this far down in the draft are unique as they are still very much max earners and will be a future impact player for your team. When also looking at the prospect; while the team has five players ready to make the roster starting next season four of the five players were drafted season 81 or before with only Hammar Voss drafted afterwards. This means. Busser has a chance to out develop majority of these prospect and become an impact player for Helsinki sooner then later. Funny aspect also to this mock draft is the fact that I had Helsinki having to decide between a first-generation player in Dogwood Maple or Busser and in the end they end up selecting both players.

15. :sea:  Seattle Bears

Not sure really what to say about the Bears since they seem once again to simply need overall prospects with a well-built roster that is set until season 85 when Zeedayno Chara retires from the forward core so they will select:

Spoiler

:gbr:  Fraser Wallace – C – 6’1” – 220lbs – 20yrs – :sdm:San Diego Marlins

Eye toward the future they select Wallace to eventually replace Chara with a season or two in the VHLE; with whomever draft him in the respect VHLE draft. Wallace should more than prove his worth for the Bears in a few seasons.

16.  :mos:Moscow Menace

The last pick in the first round and Moscow has a choice to make select the sure think in Ilya Bryzgalov to replace Leroy Johnson and Papa Emeritus or take the last remaining max earner as far as I can tell of the top twenty players in the draft. One has a much higher up side but more risk as first-generation player and the others a steady clicker/simmer. Either way Moscow need to draft a tender in either this draft or the next few to replace their current tandem. Moscow will select:

Spoiler

:can:  Molly the Cat – RW – 6’2” – 225lbs – 21yrs – :sdm:San Diego Marlins

When I see a max earning player; I see a player ready to continue to try to be best. While selected last in the first round of this mock draft it doesn`t mean that they cannot be a huge impact player. I have seen players drafted in the third round will a bit of luck and becoming max earners quickly jump into the top ten of their respective draft class. Finish with impressive numbers just not HOF material. What I am saying is a player of Molly the Cat is simply too good to pass up even for a sure thing. No risk means no rewards. Let’s also be honest Moscow is sort of getting a steal here.

Well, this my way too early mock draft considering none of the placements for the draft are set since the play-off are just starting (as I write this) and the draft tournament has even started yet. So; I am saying this will all change based on when the draft order is finalized. Either way I don`t think Pierre Emile Bouchard will be drafted first overall but he still has a chance, right?

(3600+ words for June 5th, June 12th, June 19th & June 26th)

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

Helsinki:

They also have at least five prospects that are ready to make the roster next season in Johnny Xavier, Hammer Voss, Rob (your last name is too long) Vladovechsenkchushkin, Bradley Buzzer and Janet Snakehole.

Snakehole has retired though @Gaikoku-hito

EDIT: Oops sorry only noticed now that I missed the initial post and that same was published 10 days ago... mea culpa

Edited by Daniel Janser

1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

Snakehole has retired though @Gaikoku-hito

EDIT: Oops sorry only noticed now that I missed the initial post and that same was published 10 days ago... mea culpa

The problem of doing a Way way way too early Mock Draft!! And having to bump the thread to collect your golden tickets in TPE!! LOL!

34 minutes ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

The problem of doing a Way way way too early Mock Draft!! And having to bump the thread to collect your golden tickets in TPE!! LOL!

indeed... on an other note, I would like to see Gustav as a backup/potential starter down the line with Calgary... never bad to have to servicable goaltenders, and I heard so many good things but Gus as a person