Team Europe's S83 campaign

leandrofg

We've reached the end of another World Junior Hockey Championship. As my selfish goal, I intended to avenge Team Europe's season 82 campaign.

Last season's campaign was a heartbreaker.

Not only for me as the leader but everyone involved with the team... heartbreak. After sweeping the round-robin stage in a fabulous, undefeated fashion, a debacle happened.

We not only lost in the semi-finals, but our morale broke, and we lost the bronze medal game.

This stuck with me, as I couldn't let it go, so I put my name up again to lead Team Europe. Fortunately, I got the call, and this chance wouldn't go to waste.

The first thing was getting the band together, so I called Janser, and he swiftly said yes - and he brought a new mentee!

After this, it was team-building time, and I don't think we could have chosen any better. We started by getting our returning captains, Tomas Sogaard and Leandro Goncalves. The ex-Kings partners were part of last season's effort and were the right players to lead the rest of the team.

Afterward, we dipped our hands in the two best teams of the VHLE, my Bratislava Watchmen and the Vasteras Iron Eagles.

Marcel Janser, Harry Hagel, Baxter Arcanum, Phoebe Bridgers, Alf Larsson, and someone who ultimately couldn't join us, Janet Snakehole.

We followed by picking some of the best in the VHLE, Calen McKay, Noodles Marconi, and PJ Daniels. 

Finally, it was time to pick from the VHLM's best.

Fraser Wallace and Svatopluk Puk, from the Marlins. Jean Mercier from the Lynx, Basileus Jute from the Wild, and last but not least, Velociraptor Greg from the Aces.

This group didn't go undefeated in the round-robin stage, conceding three losses, but played great hockey as a great team. And that allowed us to go through in 1st-place.

Do you know what they did do? They won the last two games of the tournament and hatched their names in history.

These players are the World Junior Hockey Champions. Season 83 is theirs, and I couldn't be more proud of this group. 🇪🇺

Tagging you all, because I appreciate you!

@Daniel Janser @Anthique @Is_thatok @Matt thunder @Morcar80 @jasplunds @ctots @samx @Kendrick @Hoopydog @Brandon @xNJDevilsFanx @GrittyIsKing @ng1291 @Eynhallow @Otaznik

One last deserved shout-out is a fellow European, Frosty, who this past season allowed me to pick his brain about line strategy, and that came in very handy during the tournament. @FrostBeard

17 hours ago, leandrofg said:

We've reached the end of another World Junior Hockey Championship. As my selfish goal, I intended to avenge Team Europe's season 82 campaign.

Not only for me as the leader but everyone involved with the team... heartbreak. After sweeping the round-robin stage in a fabulous, undefeated fashion, a debacle happened.

We not only lost in the semi-finals, but our morale broke, and we lost the bronze medal game.

This stuck with me, as I couldn't let it go, so I put my name up again to lead Team Europe. Fortunately, I got the call, and this chance wouldn't go to waste.

The first thing was getting the band together, so I called Janser, and he swiftly said yes - and he brought a new mentee!

After this, it was team-building time, and I don't think we could have chosen any better. We started by getting our returning captains, Tomas Sogaard and Leandro Goncalves. The ex-Kings partners were part of last season's effort and were the right players to lead the rest of the team.

Afterward, we dipped our hands in the two best teams of the VHLE, my Bratislava Watchmen and the Vasteras Iron Eagles.

Marcel Janser, Harry Hagel, Baxter Arcanum, Phoebe Bridgers, Alf Larsson, and someone who ultimately couldn't join us, Janet Snakehole.

We followed by picking some of the best in the VHLE, Calen McKay, Noodles Marconi, and PJ Daniels. 

Fraser Wallace and Svatopluk Puk, from the Marlins. Jean Mercier from the Lynx, Basileus Jute from the Wild, and last but not least, Velociraptor Greg from the Aces.

This group didn't go undefeated in the round-robin stage, conceding three losses, but played great hockey as a great team. And that allowed us to go through in 1st-place.

Do you know what they did do? They won the last two games of the tournament and hatched their names in history.

These players are the World Junior Hockey Champions. Season 83 is theirs, and I couldn't be more proud of this group. 🇪🇺

@Daniel Janser @Anthique @Is_thatok @Matt thunder @Morcar80 @jasplunds @ctots @samx @Kendrick @Hoopydog @Brandon @xNJDevilsFanx @GrittyIsKing @ng1291 @Eynhallow @Otaznik

One last deserved shout-out is a fellow European, Frosty, who this past season allowed me to pick his brain about line strategy, and that came in very handy during the tournament. @FrostBeard

Your dedication to winning is the reason we won. When this team has a winning mentality, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE. Thank you for allowing me to shine on the international stage.

10 minutes ago, xNJDevilsFanx said:

Your dedication to winning is the reason we won. When this team has a winning mentality, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE. Thank you for allowing me to shine on the international stage.

Happy Heart GIF by Prime Video UK

Those great stats and gold medal look great on you! Wish I could have squeezed a few more goals out of PJ, but he was into that team play! 🔥

Now it's time we meet in the VHL! I guess we should both be fighting for the North American Conference! 😁

3 minutes ago, leandrofg said:

Happy Heart GIF by Prime Video UK

Those great stats and gold medals look great on you! Wish I could have squeezed a few more goals out of PJ, but he was into that team play! 🔥

Now it's time we meet in the VHL! I guess we should both be fighting for the North American Conference! 😁

I wish you the best of luck in this upcoming season. Just know, I will never back down from a challenge. 

On 6/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, leandrofg said:

Although many could say that this article is very expected from the GM of a winning team, I want to suggest that as a league we need more posts like this.  I know we have all taken aim at something we didn't like, something that didn't go our way or something that just annoys us.  But we need to equally take time to stop and be grateful for the things that go right, to acknowledge the good or just the good enough.  So from a S83 Team Asia silver medalist, congratulations Team Europe on a great WJHC run, good luck to all the player in S84 and to the GM. AGM and everyone else keep up the good work.

This article gets a 10/10 for just being positive and grateful.