Claimed:Looking up in Finland

Will

• Senior Admin

Things Looking Good in Helsinki

Despite the wild celebrations going on in commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the Victory Hockey League, it's still business as usual and we are about 8 games into the S40 regular season. Thus far in the short time that this season has been going on, we have seen the Helsinki Titans come out of the gates fairly strong. As a result of some off-season deals in which they picked up some veteran manpower, as well as the continuing betterment of their younger core, the Helsinki Titans are currently sitting atop of the European Conference.

san-jose-sharks.jpg

The Titans' celebrating their victory over the Riga Reign.

First off, in a move with Vasteras, Titans GM Vince Wong dealt a S40 Calgary 1st round selection and a S40 Helsinki 2nd round selection in exchange for winger Willem Janssen, a S34 veteran with over 830 practice hours logged. Janssen was a long-time captain and dedicated member of the dwindling Iron Eagles who have begun their rebuild this past off-season. 

Next up, Helsinki negotiated with Seattle and sent them two S41 2nd round selections and a S42 2nd round selection, in exchange for Seattle centreman Damon Tyrael. Tyrael, a S36 player who recently announced his retirement at the conclusion of the season, was the focal point of the Seattle roster for many season, with over 770 practice hours logged. 

In addition to the horizontal moves between teams, Helsinki also grabbed some players at the S40 VHL Entry Draft. In a last minute deal before the draft began, Helsinki moved the 4th overall selection to Toronto in exchange for the 6th and 15th overall selections. At 6th, Helsinki picked up centreman Oskars Harumpf, a star player from the Saskatoon Wild who was is spending a 2nd season in the VHLM playing with the Bratislava Watchmen. 

At 15th, Helsinki snatched another forward, Ryan Cattrall. Cattrall is an extremely underrated forward and the Helsinki management was jumping with joy when they realized he would still be available at this late pick. At 23rd, and arguably the biggest steal of the draft, Helsinki picked up defenseman King Czar, who has since become the first ever 3rd round pick to play his first season in the VHL due to exceeding the VHLM TPE cap. In other Helsinki related news, with the pending departure of Vojceck Svoboda, the Titans management named Donald Draper as the new Captain of the organization. We spoke to him about his perception of the future for the organization:

"I'm extremely excited about the recent developments for the future of this team. Obviously it's unfortunate that we are losing a great friend and teammate in Svoboda, but I think with our recent movements and draftees we are still looking great, and right now I can't think of anywhere I would rather play." - Don Draper

Content: 3/3

Great article here, the Titans are really looks great, and I can't wait to make the jump next season to join you guys! 437 words.

Grammar: 2/2

Nothing

Appearance: 1/1

Looks great!

FINAL: 6/6