One Small Thing That Shows That Frank Is A Really Good GM

MubbleFubbles

For those who aren’t familiar with rookie signings, the standard contract for a rookie to receive upon being drafted to the VHL is $3 million in their first season (although this is usually lowered if the player goes straight up to the VHL in their first season) and then two more seasons of $1 million to take them through to the end of their rookie contract. This is because VHLM and VHLE salaries do not count against the cap and $3 million is the maximum amount a player not in the VHL can receive (at least that’s what the rules seem to indicate but looking at the $4.5 million Helsinki gave Dixon, Rask and Grimes, maybe I’m wrong?). The subsequent $1 million is supposed to increase to the players minimum salary bracket (but interestingly this doesn’t seem to currently work with players still classed as prospects in their second and third season, as players in the 300-400 TPE bracket still are getting $1 million deals that are reserved for those lower than 200 TPE) so as to avoid overpaying a player should they qualify for the VHL in the ensuing season. E.g. If I were to commit to offering a player $3 million in their second season in their initial contract, should they break 400 TPE and automatically qualify for the E, reduction of salaries are not allowed, so I would be paying them at least  $1 million more than their minimum salary and, with the salary cap as tight as it is, means I may have to make compromises elsewhere because I committed to giving a 400 TPE player a salary that usually goes to rookie contract players who are 600-700 TPE.

However, one thing that is available for GMs to do is, before the off-season ends and once it is clear that the player is going to remain a prospect for their second or third contracted season, offer up a bonus that takes them up to that maximum $3 million they can earn while still outside the VHL. However, a lot of GM’s don’t currently do this which is interesting given that giving a player a greater salary is really the only direct way that a General Manager can help get a player on their team more TPE (or lose less TPE if this subsequently helps them be able to afford more depreciation packages in the future). So as you can probably guess by the title, there is one General Manager who is currently engaging in this and that is Frank. Of the 37 active players in prospect pools currently in their second, third or later (for players resigned after their rookie contracts expired who are still in the prospect pool) seasons, only one was offered a bonus, and that was Alex Bridges III who, while currently a Toronto prospect, was offered the deal by Frank while on the Vancouver Wolves. The same is true for the previous season (Season 85) as Vancouver offered bonuses taking  four players who fit this bill (Dens Oden, Jimmy MacElroy, William Futch and Alex Bridges III again) to $3 Million deals as prospects something that only one other player outside of Vancouver received (Brodie Landry III on the Toronto Legion).

So yes, well done to Frank for doing this, I like it when GMs to their best to set players up to be the best that they can possibly be.

39 minutes ago, MubbleFubbles said:

This is because VHLM and VHLE salaries do not count against the cap and $3 million is the maximum amount a player not in the VHL can receive (at least that’s what the rules seem to indicate but looking at the $4.5 million Helsinki gave Dixon, Rask and Grimes, maybe I’m wrong?).

yeah, you're not wrong, that is against the rules. Also kudos to Frank!

1 hour ago, MubbleFubbles said:

at least that’s what the rules seem to indicate but looking at the $4.5 million Helsinki gave Dixon, Rask and Grimes, maybe I’m wrong?)

In the future, please bring up questions like this regarding the cap to me or a Blue. Prospect contracts don't pop up in the finance tool when adjusting contracts, but this isn't allowed and should be brought up to the relevant folks. I wouldn't have seen this if Boom hadn't tagged me.

13 minutes ago, Spartan said:

In the future, please bring up questions like this regarding the cap to me or a Blue. Prospect contracts don't pop up in the finance tool when adjusting contracts, but this isn't allowed and should be brought up to the relevant folks. I wouldn't have seen this if Boom hadn't tagged me.

I will do, but if prospects aren't included in the finance tool, shouldn't that be looked into getting fixed? Like I mentioned in the article, prospects are finding themselves getting less money than the minimums say that they're entitled to and while not a super big amount, the amounts they are missing out on could help those out who buy free weeks for example. 

Alternatively, you could scrap the sub-200 TPE and 201-300 TPE categories and just make the minimum salaries 1.5M for Rookie and 2M for Prime since 1.5M is what anyone without a VHL team would be getting in the VHLM/VHLE so the 1M/1.25M categories don't really make sense in the current VHL climate.

Edited by MubbleFubbles

4 minutes ago, MubbleFubbles said:

I will do, but if prospects aren't included in the finance tool, shouldn't that be looked into getting fixed? Like I mentioned in the article, prospects are finding themselves getting less money than the minimums say that they're entitled to and while not a super big amount, the amounts they are missing out on could help those out who buy free weeks for example. 

Alternatively, you could scrap the sub-200 TPE and 201-300 TPE categories and just make the minimum salaries 1.5M for Rookie and 2M for Prime since 1.5M is what anyone without a VHL team would be getting in the VHLM/VHLE so the 1M/1.25M categories don't really make sense in the current VHL climate.

Yes :D. We'll see what sort of timeline it'd be with the portal folks. I'd say it's a GM responsibility but I recognize that even I've forgotten about my prospect bonuses in recent season. So maybe adjusting the default min to 1.5 instead of 1 would make more sense.

@Dil

4 hours ago, Spartan said:

Yes :D. We'll see what sort of timeline it'd be with the portal folks. I'd say it's a GM responsibility but I recognize that even I've forgotten about my prospect bonuses in recent season. So maybe adjusting the default min to 1.5 instead of 1 would make more sense.

@Dil

No.

(my boss isn’t here)