The Case for Version 2

AIM-11

Is It Time to Start Pushing Forward to Version 2 of STHS

progress.jpg

The VHL has long been known for its ability to be flexible and make changes when it makes sense to do so.  Filled with a high number of creative and tech-savvy individuals, the VHL has never shied away from making the tough decisions that were required to push forward with progress in the league.  The one big exception to this is the unwillingness to move to the newest version of the STHS Simulator - Version 2.

Making a huge change in the sim version is not something to be taken lightly, and thus far it has been communicated that there are too many issues around version two, to seriously consider the move. The Board of Governors last word on this issue was:

Discussions and test sims happened on STHS V2 and how it may fit into the VHL scheme. I can report that the probability of us ever implementing STHS V2 is very slim. Even with tons of adjusting and tests with our full roster it was very difficult to normalize the statistics to a pace that would be usual for this league. 

So that's that then right?  Perhaps.  However, let's take a step back to reconsider.

The Pros

1) Advancing to Version 2 would create much more diversity in player types and builds.

Three new stats would be introduced with the newest version of the sim in place.  Endurance, Durability, and Penalty Shots would all allow for a much deeper and broader selection of player types that could be built in the VHL.  With more places for points to be spread out it would allow for a larger spread in the types of players that would exist in the league.  Diversity is a great thing!

2)  Advancing to Version 2 would challenge GMs with new strategies and tactics.

Many of the GMs here in the league seem to have running a team and setting lines down to an art.  Version 1, from what I understand, has less depth to the decisions that need to be made by the GM.  Ice time, team strategies, and less positional flexibility not only handcuff GMs in the decisions they can make, but also remove some of the potentially fun GM aspects that are available in Version 2.

The Cons

1) There would be a shift in the types of stats and games that the league would see.

For many people this is too big of an issue to even consider moving forward to Version 2.  The newest version has a touch more randomness, more variation due to GM decisions, and would be near impossible to recreate the types of seasons that the VHL is used to having statistically.  Old records, historical stats, and past seasons would be relegated to the history books as "Pre-V2". For some people this is simply unacceptable.

2) Greater GM involvement may lessen the role that players have in determining their own success.

While giving GMs more of a role in selecting line, devising ice time strategies, and determining linemates, it could mean a lessening of the amount of power that the player has in controlling their own fate.  One advantage to having less flexibility at the GM level is that the players have a bit more control over how well they do, by focusing on a few specific stats that will always be important in the sim.  If there are less stats, and less decision outside of their control, then the players have a bit more power.

So Why Bother?

The old adage, "Don't fix what ain't broke", could easily apply here.  No one can blame the league for simply staying put with a formula that has operated for 40 seasons with considerable success.  Obviously the fear of minimizing VHL History is a real issue for many people, but it could also be seen as a chance to turn the page to a new chapter in VHL History.  It is unlikely we will ever see someone score 50 goals in 39 games in the NHL ever again. The rules have changed, the players have improved, and goalies actually stop shots now.  However, even though the statistics and records are different these days, the NHL is a wonderful league with great personalities and it is constantly creating its own new history.  The VHL need not fear a new step towards Version 2.  It could be exactly what is required to bump up interest even more beyond the levels they are at today!

I like this idea, the v2 seems to work well.

Durability and Penalty Shot are garbage stats though, unless you make injuries high enough that it becomes necessary.

I'd like to see the archetypes over here because they do have their own touch on how your player plays and it's a lot of fun to see that.

Lots to think about here, good article.

Here is something that Devise wrote in the BoG State of the Address (wtf):

"Discussions and test sims happened on STHS V2 and how it may fit into the VHL scheme. I can report that the probability of us ever implementing STHS V2 is very slim. Even with tons of adjusting and tests with our full roster it was very difficult to normalize the statistics to a pace that would be usual for this league."

"Discussions and test sims happened on STHS V2 and how it may fit into the VHL scheme. I can report that the probability of us ever implementing STHS V2 is very slim. Even with tons of adjusting and tests with our full roster it was very difficult to normalize the statistics to a pace that would be usual for this league."

I see how much of this article you read.

• Head Moderator

Im all for changing to v2 even if iy means a departure from our current stat trends.

Itd be like Old era nhl vs new era nhl.

I also think the v2 system also allows for a player agent system as well due to the diversity of the sim and how more variables are available for coaches and strategies.

Thanks, I had no idea.

Im all for changing to v2 even if iy means a departure from our current stat trends.

I also think the v2 system also allows for a player agent system as well due to the diversity of the sim and how more variables are available for coaches and strategies.

I'm all for the opportunity to create more diversity with regards to builds.  I think we're at a point right now where the league's depth allows us to try this.

We have Endurance and Durability, we just automatically max them out don't we?

Yeah, and "other leagues" max durability, but having endurance matter is a cool concept. You get punished for not having enough endurance so when you stack checking or skating you get gassed later in the sim and it has repercussions.

I think the NHL comparison would be pretty apt. The scoring is tighter, but there's still lots of high scoring games.

Plus being rewarded on rounding out your stats instead of just stacking skating and scoring/passing is cool too.

Content: 3/3

736 words. STHS Version 2 is what we use in SHL, and I have loved it so far, from the GM aspect, as well, the player aspect. It can also be random at times, but usually it is good. VHL using Version 1 is fine, I think they should keep it that way since it works.

Grammar: 2/2

linemates = line mates

Appearance: 1/1

Good!

FINAL: 6/6