VSN Presents: S89 VHL Awards

Alex

4 minutes ago, DarkSpyro said:

First off I’m happy for some recognition, so thank you for the nomination. I also wanna congratulate @DMaximus  for winning the Shaw! Regardless of what I’m going to say below, I do believe you earned it this season. Hats off to you my guy!

On that note.. kinda don’t agree with how the votes panned out, but I do agree with Wallob winning as I just stated.

It blows me away that out of 11 people, not 1 of them connected the dots for what I’ve highlighted in the Quote above.

Wallob and Teno both only had 5 shutouts, but Teno’s are slightly more impressive in comparison due to him winning 5/33 (15%) of his games for London by himself which is above league average.
Wallob being on a top team, only took over 5/45 (11%) of his games which is slightly below league average in the shutout wins:wins percentile, but still 1 shutout above the league average.

(Side note: S89’s league average for this stat was 4 shutouts, and 13% of a goalies shutout wins:total wins).

Sparks however, straight up stole 9/30 (30%) of the games for Malmo which was more than double the league average in both stats. 🤯

Imo, pretty sure I know which goalie was the most valuable and effective to their team just judging by the performance to team skill ratio, but again I still wouldn’t change the winner.

This is more so about how the votes ended up cuz it feels like some critical information gets skipped when they rush their decisions based off of save % alone.

Votes shoulda been more like 6-3-2 (Wallob/Sparks/Teno) but again, just happy to be nominated for once. 

Keep in mind, each member of BOG votes for who they think should win. This means that voting can appear very 1 sided, as in this case. The main critique against Sparks case came with their GAA of 2.49, as while having 9 shutouts is really good, the higher GAA does mean that they weren't on par for a lot of games. With that being said goaltending awards usually come down to SV%, and a 0.937 is just ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Keep in mind, each member of BOG votes for who they think should win. This means that voting can appear very 1 sided, as in this case. The main critique against Sparks case came with their GAA of 2.49, as while having 9 shutouts is really good, the higher GAA does mean that they weren't on par for a lot of games. With that being said goaltending awards usually come down to SV%, and a 0.937 is just ridiculous.

Yeah and I’m calling out the BoG for appearing so one-sided. Just stating the facts that are typically considered when goalies are voted in winning awards, and confirming with me by saying “it usually comes down to Save%” along side GAA, shows me how narrow sighted the BoG can be when viewing the goaltending trade.

Also I did say Wallob should have won regardless, but how the votes appear to be so one-sided looks very bad.

13 minutes ago, DarkSpyro said:

Also I did say Wallob should have won regardless, but how the votes appear to be so one-sided looks very bad.

All the vote means is 11/11 people agreed with you that Wallob should have won.

What you're describing would require rank-choice voting, which is something that I have been a proponent of for literal years now for exactly the reason you're describing.

Actually, my entire campaign for that is the reason that typing a british-ism for glasses corrects to rainbow flavoured unicorns on the forum.

47 minutes ago, DarkSpyro said:

Imo, pretty sure I know which goalie was the most valuable and effective to their team just judging by the performance to team skill ratio, but again I still wouldn’t change the winner.

It's not an MVP award though. Statistically, Wallob performed better overall. Consistently posting high save percentages and limiting goals scored against. It became one-sided because everyone recognized Wallob was just the best choice. And as Eno said, we don't have any room to go "We know Wallob will win but we want to give love to the other nominees." The fact that they're being mentioned here as nominees by VSN is usually that recognition, as we usually have more names in BoG discussions that get trimmed down to 2-3 serious candidates.

27 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Statistically, Wallob performed better overall. Consistently posting high save percentages and limiting goals scored against. 

When the league average for a goalie basically solo winning a game is 13% for their team (a critical piece of information that is taken into account when talking about a goalie’s consistent individual performance) Wallob was just barely below league average on that front by like 2%; which does indicate his team was a bigger factor than anybody say above league average in that regard. More than doubling that league average, says a lot about the goalie’s consistency in displaying dominate individual performances.

4 hours ago, DarkSpyro said:

When the league average for a goalie basically solo winning a game is 13% for their team (a critical piece of information that is taken into account when talking about a goalie’s consistent individual performance) Wallob was just barely below league average on that front by like 2%; which does indicate his team was a bigger factor than anybody say above league average in that regard. More than doubling that league average, says a lot about the goalie’s consistency in displaying dominate individual performances.

I’m going to do some number crunching into the shutouts and get back to you in here hopefully later tonight once the wife is in bed, but I know the general belief was that they faced a similar workload and he had a higher save percentage (and not by a small amount) and the best GAA in the league.  

I did find in 3 star voting it was pretty close:

Wallob

1st Star - 8

2nd Star - 9

3rd Star - 3

Total Points - 45

Sparks

1st Star - 9

2nd Star - 6

3rd Star - 4

Total Points - 43

Sparks:

Shutout vs CGY: 54/54
Shutout vs SEA: 25/25
Shutout vs HSK: 23/23
Shutout vs VAN: 24/24
Shutout vs LDN: 29/29
Shutout vs WAR: 35/35
Shutout vs LAS: 31/31
Shutout vs RIG: 29/29
Shutout vs PRG: 23/23

273 Saves in 9 Shutouts
30.33 per Game

During Regular Season averaged 35.61 Shots against per Game

Wallob:

Shutout vs VAN: 40/40
Shutout vs MAL: 23/23
Shutout vs SEA: 17/17
Shutout vs DC: 38/38
Shutout vs LDN: 47/47

165 Saves in 5 Shutouts
33.00 per Game

During Regular Season averaged 36.78 Shots against per Game

I definitely don't regret picking Wallob as my winner as I do think he ultimately had the better overall season, but I am curious to see if a points system breaks more ground in the BOG with some discussion.