Around the League

Scurvy

For this weeks Around the League in 500 words I want to talk about Rip Wheeler’s dumb ass and an amazing LA Stars club ripping through the league. 

RIP WHEELER

So….my friend, Calgary forward Rip Wheeler @ScottyPScott, the brunt of many of my criticisms has started this season much better than last.  Now last year, despite being on a line with Hall of Famer Daniel Janser, he managed 6 whole points all season…..6!.  Now, I spent all last season calling him exactly what he was playing like…. a shit sack. 

Now this season, Calgary is without some of the amazing talent they had, and Rip has been asked to step it up a bit.  He has answered the bell…somewhat.  He still doesn’t understand how to shoot the puck but has come out banging.  In 22 games he has amassed 102 hits, good for a tie for #1 overall with AK97 Wit a Hoodie.  Pretty good turn around in one stat department.  BUT…let’s look at his other contributions or lack thereof.  

Goals: 6  Assists 4 10 Points.  Grade:  Not good

+/-  - 1                                         Grade: Ok

PIM: 24    -                                  Grade: OK – not hurting the team despite hitting. 

SB: 4   (yes 4).                            Grade: WTF- don’t be scared

PPG:  0                                        Grade: Can’t fault Rip for this.  Calgary is smart to keep him off PP

Shots: 46                                    Grade: Better- roughly two shots a game but has almost equaled                                                                            all of last year’s shots (49)

Overall I like the fact Rip is doing better even though I am still going to trash him so I can get my TPE for media spots and so will @Thunder.  He finally hit 500 so I got 10 TPE to add to Payne so thank you Rip.  I am still disappointed when I see Welfare added to his updates because I work with his lazy ass and know he has plenty of time to write something.  But hopefully him leading some categories lights a fire under him. 

LA ON FIRE:

At 22 games into the season the LA Stars are singing. There currently 16-5-1 with a league leading 78 goals and tied for league best with only 53 games allowed. This shows me that they are freaking deadly at both ends of the ice. 

OFFENSE: 

There is a lot to like about this team’s offensive firepower.  Todd Cooke @KRZYhas been lights out.  The #27 pick in the S84 draft is making teams that passed him up cry as he tears through the league’s best defenders.  With 17G 25A 42PTS Cooke is off to an easy 100 + point season.  Cooke just sees the ice so well and his passing game is on point with the best in the league.  Also, up front is Napoleon Dynamite @thadthrasher and Svatopluk Puk @Otaznik who are already double digit in goals and assists.  

DEFENSE:

So. I am always partial to defenders and there is a lot to like on this LA club.  Tied for first for defensive scorers Elias Lampi @Pifferfish with 30 points.  He also likes to sacrifice for his club with 52 blocked shots.  Also on D is one of my favorite defenders and often overlooked as one of the leagues best, Callum Murray @Berocka.  At 607 225 this smooth skating dman can hurt you at both ends of the ice.  23 goals last year, Murray can score in bunches and still cover his own end. It’s a no wonder they have only allowed 53 goals with these two patrolling the back end.

Goalie:

The #1 overall pick in S84, Art Vandelay is an absolute brick wall.  16-5-1 with .0926 SV% and 3 shutouts, AV @Gustav is up to about any challenge should his defense allow a forward through their already tough wall.  It’s a no brainer why this club is doing so well to start and clubs will have to hit the drawing board in an effort to get pucks by this group.  

Kudos to @InstantRockstar for building a great team.  However, I hope it all falls apart when you play Vancouver!   LOL

On 9/3/2023 at 3:53 PM, Scurvy said:

For this weeks Around the League in 500 words I want to talk about Rip Wheeler’s dumb ass and an amazing LA Stars club ripping through the league. 

RIP WHEELER

So….my friend, Calgary forward Rip Wheeler @ScottyPScott, the brunt of many of my criticisms has started this season much better than last.  Now last year, despite being on a line with Hall of Famer Daniel Janser, he managed 6 whole points all season…..6!.  Now, I spent all last season calling him exactly what he was playing like…. a shit sack. 

Now this season, Calgary is without some of the amazing talent they had, and Rip has been asked to step it up a bit.  He has answered the bell…somewhat.  He still doesn’t understand how to shoot the puck but has come out banging.  In 22 games he has amassed 102 hits, good for a tie for #1 overall with AK97 Wit a Hoodie.  Pretty good turn around in one stat department.  BUT…let’s look at his other contributions or lack thereof.  

Goals: 6  Assists 4 10 Points.  Grade:  Not good

+/-  - 1                                         Grade: Ok

PIM: 24    -                                  Grade: OK – not hurting the team despite hitting. 

SB: 4   (yes 4).                            Grade: WTF- don’t be scared

PPG:  0                                        Grade: Can’t fault Rip for this.  Calgary is smart to keep him off PP

Shots: 46                                    Grade: Better- roughly two shots a game but has almost equaled                                                                            all of last year’s shots (49)

Overall I like the fact Rip is doing better even though I am still going to trash him so I can get my TPE for media spots and so will @Thunder.  He finally hit 500 so I got 10 TPE to add to Payne so thank you Rip.  I am still disappointed when I see Welfare added to his updates because I work with his lazy ass and know he has plenty of time to write something.  But hopefully him leading some categories lights a fire under him. 

LA ON FIRE:

At 22 games into the season the LA Stars are singing. There currently 16-5-1 with a league leading 78 goals and tied for league best with only 53 games allowed. This shows me that they are freaking deadly at both ends of the ice. 

OFFENSE: 

There is a lot to like about this team’s offensive firepower.  Todd Cooke @KRZYhas been lights out.  The #27 pick in the S84 draft is making teams that passed him up cry as he tears through the league’s best defenders.  With 17G 25A 42PTS Cooke is off to an easy 100 + point season.  Cooke just sees the ice so well and his passing game is on point with the best in the league.  Also, up front is Napoleon Dynamite @thadthrasher and Svatopluk Puk @Otaznik who are already double digit in goals and assists.  

DEFENSE:

So. I am always partial to defenders and there is a lot to like on this LA club.  Tied for first for defensive scorers Elias Lampi @Pifferfish with 30 points.  He also likes to sacrifice for his club with 52 blocked shots.  Also on D is one of my favorite defenders and often overlooked as one of the leagues best, Callum Murray @Berocka.  At 607 225 this smooth skating dman can hurt you at both ends of the ice.  23 goals last year, Murray can score in bunches and still cover his own end. It’s a no wonder they have only allowed 53 goals with these two patrolling the back end.

Goalie:

The #1 overall pick in S84, Art Vandelay is an absolute brick wall.  16-5-1 with .0926 SV% and 3 shutouts, AV @Gustav is up to about any challenge should his defense allow a forward through their already tough wall.  It’s a no brainer why this club is doing so well to start and clubs will have to hit the drawing board in an effort to get pucks by this group.  

Kudos to @InstantRockstar for building a great team.  However, I hope it all falls apart when you play Vancouver!   LOL

Yes, Lampi is going off. The second I stop giving a fuck he is awesome... Smh