My Complete Lack of Free Agency, and Vandelay's Future

Gustav

Hi VHL! It's been one week since you looked at me.

As we get to the end of the season, we see a few of the usual threats laid out in public: "I will be a free agent unless we win a championship," "I will be a free agent regardless," all of the things. People will be free agents, and that's their choice. That contract won't sign itself and the grass is always greener. It's a process that makes me wonder if I'm getting all the good I should be getting out of the VHL when I've never been a free agent. I've never been a cup chaser or a trade demander or a 10-million-dollar wanter. I'm generally a GM's perfect little dream, which is something I think contributed quite a bit to my draft position. But with Vandelay's contract up after this season, is it time to re-evaluate? 

You see, while I've been a VHL member for years at this point, first-gen me signed a career contract at first notice and second-gen me spent the bulk of his career under none other than himself as GM. Vandelay is really the first chance I've gotten to decide, independent of team factors, whether I'll get to sail the seas of GMs pretending to care about any part of me other than my TPE (yes, I've been one too--don't complain that I said that). And I think it's fair to say that my career has seen its share of disappointment--I've earned hard for a long time and that's gotten me zero awards, zero championships, and somehow missing the playoffs last season. And while I've been nominated for MVP and top goaler a few times, it's always been unclear to me why. So far, I'm headed straight for the Hall of Not Bad, and I might have an article out a year from now if I'm motivated enough to make one. So, would it work to my benefit to tell my team to go eat shit and move somewhere that's had more luck? Quite possibly. I don't even think I'd do it on bad terms, either--I don't start drama with people and I'm sure I could craft some reasoning if I wanted to. I'd even make sure to give some notice (which perhaps could have been this article).

But while I'm not a big "team loyalty" guy in the conventional sense of the phrase--I don't consider myself any more attached to LA than to any other team in the league--it's always hard for me to justify it. My short answer to anyone looking to give me a contract extension is that as long as you're trying to compete and as long as you're doing things that make me believe that, I'm usually willing to recognize that effort and contribute to it. And, while I'll have the conversation when it comes up, I have no reason to believe that LA isn't going for that in the future. We'll have a big need for defense, but that will be part of said conversation. And assuming I can believe that we'll have a shot to go places, Vandelay is likely here to stay.

It would be nice, though, to do a little bit better in the playoffs. I'm hoping for a nice comeback this series...but at least if it doesn't work out I'm used to it.

Free Agency always feels like the member wanting to feel draft vibes again.  Teams reaching out and making you feel special by expressing their interest in your player.  If you don't get much of that in your LR than you may feel the need again.  That or younger players bringing a different vibe to the LR that you just aren't feeling.  Chasing cups never made sense to me.  If the team is contending, your player may kill whatever "chemistry" Simon has decided is working there and the team may be worse off cause you know, Simon.  Same with point chasers, just too many variables in play to be certain of any team.

I like this article and many you write, though I may not always reply I appreciate the honest and straightforward opinions of an older member.  Gives me some perspective as I approach my 1 year mark in the VHL.  Reviewing this article will give me that 1 sweet TPE so I give it a 9/10 cause I needed that conclusion!  What are your plans for Vandelay!?

Edited by Triller

56 minutes ago, Triller said:

What are your plans for Vandelay!?

TBH I've managed to get to this point without really caring deeply about player success. My first player sucked, but I still had a lot of fun in the league anyway...and while it was really cool to see Taro be one of the league's best and win awards and make the HoF and all that, I don't really think about him much. I will say that I'm more invested in Vandelay as a player when I'm doing well (i.e. "not last season"), but making the HoF doesn't need to be a requirement for me to look back on a player and remember that I had fun there.

All I ask on the management end is that we're able to have a good, honest talk about the team's future and that I'm not just being signed for the sake of doing it. I've gotten that so far and don't have much reason to believe I won't this offseason. 

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, OrbitingDeath said:

Free agency isn't even fun, so don't worry, you are not missing out on much. It's just the time that everyone wants you on their team and you feel shit to have to let so many people down.

This.

The yes is fun but man do all the no’s suck. I’ve only done it a few times and kinda end up feeling horrible after each one. But then again it’s a good experience to have.