A Reflection Upon the Past 10 Seasons as Trivia Head

N0HBDY

With the introduction of this season's new question pool I've officially hit the 10 season mark in my role as Trivia Head and thought why not reflect on some of my trials and tribulations that have come so far as well as talk about my journey so far.

According to the thread I was given the job on February 1st 2022, but Josh had really given it to me a few days before which I remember that day pretty well, I was sitting in my hockey team's locker room 30 minutes away from getting on the ice, and nothing gave me more energy to play than some good news of a new job in the league. I did in fact play VERY well, which I credit to the news.

ScreenShot2023-12-31at3_57_42PM.thumb.png.5c12ea727c7036ce21ed06836067390c.png

To elaborate on the second part of Josh's sentence, a few months before they put up this hiring post I was in the works of a VHL jeopardy episode, I believe I was finished with everything but when it came to lining up the contestants it just didn't work out and the project faded into oblivion. But because of that I put so much work into researching and creating questions that they actually were perfectly suited for regular ole VHL Trivia. The incorporation of it onto the portal brought the commissioners asking for a few questions to add themselves to which I messaged Bek that I had around...50. So it's not that when I applied it was just a hope and a prayer, I had basically already started some of the work of the job which probably is why I got selected but I don't speak for the commissioners.

When I initially took over in the role and got a peak at the question pool that Vic had lying around there were a fair amount of questions to go through and verify, a good bit of upfront work. There are still a few that I haven't done simply because new submissions came in and I didn't need to go through the older questions then. I want to shoutout one submission that I really like but I'm not sure if the community would like it as one of their questions so I haven't included it yet,@MubbleFubbles  for his Name This Member question (obviously don't want to leak the question if I haven't used it yet) I think it's a really fun question however. Anyways I got through most of the questions in about a week or so and reorganized/created a new system for how I was gonna run trivia in a new spreadsheet. 

The biggest part about this role that I've learned is that wording is crucial. Early on I had a few problems with the grammar of a question which made me hand out tpe like it was candy. I've gotten a bit better but each season has it's kinks (so far so good I think). One other thing that's kind of been debated on how trivia should be ran is if I should do the 20 question pools like I'm currently doing or if I should leave every question in the pool. I do like the 20 question pool way because each season I sift through and select only 20 questions to replace in the previous pool, but if I were to leave every question in then each season I would have to go through and update all the questions that might have had their answer change (such as the as of S## questions) I know I've heard other pros/cons for how to do it but I can't remember them all at this moment and I've gotten this media spot long enough now, anyways here's to another 10 season's and many more after that!

3 hours ago, N0HBDY said:

(such as the as of S## questions)

Oh, I read that wrong a few times before I figured out it was suppose to read: "As of Season" questions rather than: as the (bad word) of (Bad word) questions. I guess every time I see S## or anything like that I am thinking curse words!! LOL!!

Prank Lol GIF by FaZe Clan

Does that also mean that in a ten week season I am likely to answer the same question multiple times due to the 20 question pool system? I would say increase that number to say 30 or 40 but I never noticed so great job!!

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

2 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Does that also mean that in a ten week season I am likely to answer the same question multiple times due to the 20 question pool system?

No I import 20 completely new questions each season, I haven't resorted to recycling questions from past season's quite yet. Over a 10 week season you will see all 20 questions