Around the League

Scurvy

Another week gone by and another installment of Around the League in 500 words mainly because I am TPE hungry and I am up late since the flu has torn through my house and my poor daughter and wife are sick. A lot we can chat about this week with the VHL and VHLE drafts and a check in with my recruits.

VHL DRAFT

The draft is one of the best times of year, especially when your player is getting drafted.  The league does a good job hyping the draft and most GMs in the VHL scout and interview and make it a cool experience, especially for a first gen player. 

This draft this year showed Vancouver having an amazing amount of first round picks which proved to be a wise choice since the draft pool was smaller than most years. There were some good players to choose from and here is a breakdown:

1.    Logan Ninefingers- Vancouver went with the burly right winger who scored like a maniac in the VHLM.  Big, mean, and can score.

2.    George Richmond @badcolethetitan- Moscow went with another big player who can score with ease and not hurt the club at all on defense. 

3.    Adi Dassler @BOOM- Moscow will be set up for years to come with a 1-2 combo of Richmond and Dassler.  Proven scorer and clutch player with 10 GW goals in the M.

4.    Riley Martin @Smarch- Vancouver went with a game changing winger with Martin who absolutely had to do everything on a struggling Halifax club.  Much like Moscow’s 1-2 punch, NInefingers and Martin will be exciting to see together.

5.    Giorgiy Constanzov @Mongoose87 - First goalie off the board to Seattle and a good one at that.  Another victim to a struggling Halifax club he was forced to face a whopping 2815 shots and still managed a .918 SV%.  Both Martin and Constanzov will be deadly on better teams. 

6.    V.V Carstein @Dom- Vancouver- A giant of a Dman will give the Wolves a true power play quarter back and point per game Dman for years to come.

7.    Guntis Gavilrovs @Girts- Vancouver. Grabbed another giant to patrol the blue line and protect its star players. At 250 lbs he has quick feet (and fists) and can chip in goals like a forward.  

8.    K Lamb @dlamb- Chicago grabbed another solid defenseman that came fresh of a Cup win in Saskatoon. Big, hard to move, and loves to hit with 229 hits last season.

9.    Kimi Raikkonen @mattyIceman- Riga-an assist machine, KR is as solid pick to add some depth scoring and lay the body on opposing foes.

10.Olafur Gunnleifsson @JartY- Malmo took the second goalie in the first round and he was amazing in Ottawa last season with 33 wins and 4 shutouts. 

11.W. Gretzky @MubbleFubbles - New York went with the GREAT ONE! Here is my hidden gem pick of the draft.  Can’t really say anything bad about this pick as after facing some injuries I expect him to be back to elite form in no time and with the players NY has amassed, Wayne could take them to playoff glory! 

Overall, the draft was fun and I think it belonged to Vancouver and Moscow.  I can feel a rivalry already brewing between these two clubs!

RECRUITS

Well just an update on my recruits.  Jake Thunder @Thunder is still away from the game, and I am hoping I can grind him back to create another great player.

@ScottyP (Rip Wheeler) is still lazy and grinding a bit and is over 700 TPE now for Calgary.   

@Bleekus is MIA and not answering my texts.  With Thunder and Scotty P I see them often enough so I can razz them a bit, with Bleekus he lives in Florida so I can’t slap some sense into him.  So right now – he is a work in progress. 

Happy Friday

615 words