award favorites, as determined by predictions

scoop

With predictions now closed, I've decided to take a look at who the league collectively believes will win each award. There were 60 total submissions that are actually filled out, of which there are three that are exact copies of another set (not that I'm discounting the exact copies in any way). With that, here's a rundown of the favorites

Continental Cup: London United (16)
Other Notables: Calgary Wranglers (9), Los Angeles Stars (9), Helsinki Titans (8)

London is the people's favorite to win the Continental Cup, and if you look at their roster, it's not hard to see why. Their low scoring output thus far could be a bit concerning for some, but looking at their forwards, it's hard to believe they won't figure it out. In total, there were ten teams that were predicted to win the Continental Cup, which each of those teams being picked by at least two people. Interestingly, those ten teams were the ten teams the VSN had making the playoffs in their season preview. After London, the next highest were Calgary and Los Angeles with nine predictions each. Europe is favored by a 34-26 margin to produce the champion.

Victory Cup: Calgary Wranglers (14)

Other Notables: Los Angeles Stars (13), London United (8), Helsinki Titans (7), Prague Phantoms (7)

Personally, I think the Wranglers are a bit overhyped. VSN had them ranked first in the North American Conference, and the predictions reflect that as well. Skor McFleury is a great addition, but I don't think it will be enough to solve their biggest issue from a season ago: goal scoring. While European teams are collectively favored to win the Continental Cup, people are more confident that the regular season will belong to the North American Conference. Just behind the Wranglers at 13 predictions were the Stars, while Toronto, D.C., New York, and Vancouver add another seven believers. Europe's favorites are the trio of London (8), Helsinki (7), and Prague (7).

Devon Marlow-Marta Trophy: Los Angeles Stars (19)
Other Notables: Calgary Wranglers (15), D.C. Dragons (10), Toronto Legion (10)

While the Wranglers have the slight edge in regular season predictions, the Stars are believed to be the better playoff team. Perhaps it is the more experienced roster that gives them the edge. Calgary remains a favorite with a quarter of the total predictions, but people do seem to have more confidence in the remainder of the North American field when it comes to just beating out their conference foes. The other teams combine for 43.3% of the predictions to make the finals.

Terence Fong Trophy: Helsinki Titans (18)
Other Notables: London United (16), Prague Phantoms (14)

Although London was the clear favorite to win the Continental Cup, more people actually picked Helsinki to win the European Conference Championship. Maybe the distrust in them to beat North America if they can come out on top of Europe once again has to do with their performance in the finals from a season ago.
London is not far behind at 16 predictions, and Prague is up there at 14 as well. This trio of teams are clearly thought to be together in the top tier of Europe, with Moscow and Malmo being a sizable step behind.

Scotty Campbell Trophy: John Jameson (9)
Other Notables: Molly the Cat (8)

Arguably the best player in the VHL, it shouldn't come as a surprise that John Jameson is atop the list for MVP predictions. He won the award back in Season 89, and although he dipped below 100 points last season, he looks to lead the Phantoms back into the playoffs this season. Molly the Cat is Jameson's closest competition at eight predictions. In total, there were 18 players different players who were picked by at least one person to take home the coveted Scotty Campbell Trophy.

Brett Slobodzian Trophy: John Jameson (12)
Other Notables: Molly the Cat (8)

Again, we have John Jameson on top, with Molly the Cat following in second. With 20 different players being predicted to win this award, it had the third highest number of unique picks among all awards. Somewhat peculiar to me is the fact that more people predicted Art Vandelay (4) than Jesse Teno (3), when Teno is clearly seen as the better goalie (foreshadowing for later on). I also feel like the growing sentiment that goalies do not get enough credit for this award may have been a good reason for more people to predict Teno.

Daisuke Kanou Trophy: Jesse Teno (12)
Other Notables: John Jameson (7)

It's no surprise that with London being the most picked to win the Continental Cup, their elite goaltender Jesse Teno would be the most picked to win playoff MVP. If Teno can win it, they would be the first player to win multiple Kanou Trophies since Rayz Funk, who won the last of four in Season 73. It's also no surprise to see this award receive a vast number of unique predictions. There are 26 different names, of which nine are goalies. Rookie Olober Syko is the only starting goalie for one of the ten teams predicted (by at least one person) to win the Continental Cup who was not predicted by anyone to win playoff MVP.

Mike Szatkowski Trophy: Molly the Cat (18)
Other notables: John Jameson (8), FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist (7)

Kevin Brooks Trophy: Molly the Cat (13)
Other notables: FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist (9), Jimi Jaks (8)

It's Jameson's superior two-way play that makes him a favorite over Molly the Cat for the MVP and most outstanding, but Molly the Cat is favored when it comes to the scoring awards. Analfist is garnering a lot of attention here as well to break into the upper echelon of forwards. This is the first time his name has appeared on here, but it is certainly not the last.

Alexander Beketov Trophy: Leonard Triller (14)
Bobby Bob (7), Kronchy Kardashian (7), FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist (6)

Leonard Triller is one of those rare breeds among the elite forwards who deliberately operates more as a playmaker than a goal scorer, so it makes sense that they would be the most predicted to lead the league in assists, as they did a season ago. Aside from Triller, there is a lot of love for the defensemen when it comes to leading in assists.

Sterling Labatte Trophy: Skor McFleury (19)
Other Notables: Jacob Stone (10), Kronchy Kardashian (10), Bobby Bob (7)

Jake Wylde Trophy: David Jokinen (10), Liv Slater (10)
Other Notables: Skor McFleury (9), Jacob Stone (8), Pierre Emile Bouchard (6)

Alexander Valiq Trophy: Skor McFleury (21)
Other Notables: Jacob Stone (10), Bobby Bob (8), Kronchy Kardashian (8)

Looking at the defender awards, it's clear to see that Skor McFleury is seen as the best in the league, with Jacob Stone, Kronchy Kardashian, and Bobby Bob up there as well. Among the awards that skaters are eligible to win, the Alexander Valiq Trophy is the least unique with only ten different players predicted to win it, led by McFleury, whose 21 picks to win it ranks as the fourth most common prediction overall. As for the top defensive defender, we see a couple of players from weaker teams who will more often be in positions to make defensive plays, but McFleury and Stone are too good to be ignored here as well.

Aidan Shaw Trophy: Jesse Teno (32)
Other Notables: Art Vandelay (9)

Greg Clegane Trophy: Jesse Teno (29)
Other Notables: Art Vandelay (10), Merome Dilson (7)

As a whole, the one thing the league seems to agree on the most is that Jesse Teno is the best goalie. The Aidan Shaw Trophy is the only award that had a majority of the predictions select one player, and the Greg Clegane Trophy nearly met that mark as well. There are of course fewer options to select from, but it's still remarkable nonetheless. Art Vandelay playing in his ninth season and still being one of the best goalies in the league is quite impressive as well.

Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy: Leif Reingaard (19)
Other Notables: Grimgor Ironhide (11), Olober Syko (9), Callum Gary Yannick Janser (7)

Moscow's Leif Reingaard is the top pick for rookie of the year, and I think it is a very smart pick. Playing for Moscow, Reingaard will have the opportunity to shine. That's not to say Moscow is bad, but the roster is very balanced. Reingaard will not be stuck behind elite players or stuck playing with low-level players. I also expect a good number of hits and shots blocked from him. There is a very strong class of rookies at all positions, though, so I do expect it to be a battle, and one that may be difficult to judge in the end.

Scott Boulet Trophy: John Jameson (26)
Other Notables: Larry Abass Jr (10)

The predictions for the Scott Boulet Trophy are interesting, to me. John Jameson as the heavy favorite is not a shocker. He may not be the most physical player in the league, but he is definitely the most complete package. Larry Abass Jr has had three straight seasons of 300+ hits, but last season was the only time in his career that he reached over 40 goals or 80 points. Clearly some people think he can repeat that offensive success, and that will be the question with him. After Jameson and Abass, though, there are 16 other players who received a prediction. Among those other 16 are 12 that were picked just once, which includes last season's winner AK92 Wit da Hoodie, who I thought for sure would be right up there with Abass.

David Knight Trophy: New York Americans (15)
Other Notables: Calgary Wranglers (10), Moscow Menace (7), London United (6), Los Angeles Stars (6)

Returning to the GM scene for the first time since Season 60 (when he won this award with the New York Americans), STZ is the favorite to win the David Knight Trophy. The Americans look like a team that will be much improved from a season ago, and the acquisition of FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist could look like a masterful trade if the team can make some noise in the playoffs (especially when you consider they also received the pick that became Wayne Gretzky in that deal). There seems to be a pattern among the top predictions for the Top GM in that a lot of these are for teams that were not great last season, but look to be improved this year. The Wranglers were one of the worst playoff teams last season, and this year, many expect them to win it all. The Menace should make the jump from being one of the worst teams to potentially making the playoffs. Then we also have the teams that were good and are still good in London and Los Angeles. As two teams that are highly expected to make it to the finals at the very least, their GM's would at least be expected to be in the discussion for the award.

Dustin Funk Trophy: FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist (9)
Other Notables: David Jokinen (6)

The Dustin Funk Trophy is a very difficult award to predict, and that is reflected by the 28 unique players that were predicted. The leader among them is Analfist, who I actually see as a longshot. They had 41 goals and 79 points last season, so to win most improved, I think they would have to have an MVP caliber season. I won't say that it's not possible, but I did not give him much consideration in my prediction. David Jokinen has potential, but I am not sure the offensive improvement will be there, as he probably isn't good enough to carry this Davos offense, as he will need to do. Personally, I was one of four who predicted Raimo Tuominen, who had just eight goals and 33 points last season.

1976 words; claiming for weeks ending 1/14, 1/21, 1/28