The C.G.Y. Janser Story, Part XVII, a season's review

Daniel Janser

a-tale-of-two-brothers-cgyjanser.jpg?ex=

graphic courtesy by Leandrofg

(stats for Janser, stats for Kagamine)

The Americans have now played 64 games and show a 29-30-5 record and sit at fifth seed in the NA conference with 63 points. The defence has never been the problem for the whole season, as only Malmo allowed fewer goals than the squad from the Big Apple. And they are one goal better, which is a normal statistical anomaly on the sample size of 64 games. One cannot help but feel that if they had Champagne's help up front already at the start of the season, they would not have to worry about a playoff participation. Our New York correspondent Dick Hammer talked to the Swiss defender talent.

DH: 'Good Morning, Callum thanks for taking time to talk to us here in the Madison Square Garden.'

CGY: 'Anytime, Dick. We are in the middle of our preparation for the potential play-in series, so I thought it is best to meet here.'

DH: 'Absolutely. Since we last spoke, the Americans acquired forwards Lecavalier and Champagne and traded away Roux, Westwood and Steele. What are your thoughts about these moves.'

CGY: 'First of all I wanted to stress, that the trades does not mean that we were not happy with the performance of the three parting players. They played the role allocated to them commendably and they will add value to any team. They were the price which had to be paid to shake things up in our forward department. We had not enough secondary scoring and I think Fred and Vinny can provide that. In fact, the small sample size we have so far indicates that they can indeed. Lecavalier is a good depth player and can reliably contribute about .5 points per game, while staying out of the sin bin. Champagne is arguably one of the better two-way player in the league with a mean streak and a scoring touch. In the last two seasons he was above a point per game, and I think he can get there again.'

DH: 'In the last two weeks you have picked up your scoring pace and are now on track for a 50+ point season, which would be a new personal record. Does that make you proud?'

CGY: 'It does not make me ashamed, that is for sure. But frankly I do not care about my scoring too much. New York clearly drafted me for my defensive play, not because of my limited offensive talent. Of course I try to contribute to the team's production as good as I can, without losing focus on my defensive play.'

DH: 'However, your +/- rating looks anything than stellar.'

CGY: 'That is indeed the case and no-one is more pissed about this than me, you can believe that. I wish to point out that our defence is still one of the best in the league and has been for the entire season. 36xW does a remarkable job in net and he is still young. I lead the team in assists, hits and shots blocked. At the price of leading the team in penalties as well, I am not going to brush over that. I think that is a decent show up for a rookie, but will strive to do better, of course.'

DH: 'Speaking of which: are you flirting with a Stolzschweiger nomination?'

CGY: 'No. My money is either on 36xW or Ironhide. I am at best a very dark horse in that race. The jury traditionally tends to nominate high scoring forwards and door-closing netminders. Those defenders who are nominated have in common that they are around a point per game, which I am clearly not.'

DH: 'Do you think they are biased towards defensive defenders?'

CGY: 'I do not think so. It is just difficult to express the value of defence-first backs in easy understandable stats. I mean what are you looking at? Shots blocked? Did you really do a good job in defending if an opponent gets into a position, where a shot is a viable option? Checks? To me, checks are a last ressort to stop opponents, you want them to not even see the puck, let alone possess it. And with a high check number traditionally comes a high penalty count, which is not seen as a good thing, and I tend to agree. Plus/Minus rating? To me, this is more of a team statistic than an individual one and does not necessarily reflect one's personal performance. I just think the league's brass has not yet figured out how to evaluate a stay at home defender's impact on his team's game and hence the nod goes to players, who have easier comprehensible stats to support their case.'

DH: 'Okay, that were all the questions for today. Thanks and good luck.'

CGY: 'Thanks for having me.' 

Here are Kagamine's and Janser's stats so far:

Kagamine: 64gp, 10g, 16a, 26pts, -10, 8 PIM, 12 hits, 102sb, 3gwg, 6ppg

Janser: 64gp, 5g, 41a, 46pts, -8, 162 PIM, 254 hits, 124sb, 0gwg, 3ppg, 2 First Star nomination, 1-0-3 fighting record

https://vhlforum.com/topic/142903-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xii-round-one-accomplished/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/143134-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xiii-settling-in-in-new-york/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/143547-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xiv-another-title/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/144188-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xv-first-games-as-a-murican/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/144581-the-cgy-janser-story-part-xvi-one-third-in/

Edited by Daniel Janser

Sad that it didn't worked in Warsaw, but happy to help New York make a long run in the playoffs and make a surprise!