VSN Presents: Weekly S93 VHLM Power Rankings

Welcome to the PRESEASON edition of weekly updated power rankings where I spend the first 50 words explaining how this works for a bit. Firstly, projected rankings are based on rosters as of March 17th. Some players may have been signed, released, or traded since that point in time and those were not considered in the new ranks or scores. Also, my projected lines that I use to find the scores assumes a maximum of two appearances per player. Draft Grades mainly consider how well the draft set the team up for success this season. Future value is considered partially but not heavily. Enjoy the rankings!!! 

image.png.37a1a821a5000795967dfe27e5125e10.png
Overall Rank: 10th
Overall Score: 8.53

Forwards Rank: 10th
Forwards Score: -13.60
Defensemen Rank: 4th
Defensemen Score: 46.00
Goalies Rank: 10th
Goalies Score: 0.00
Draft Grade: D+
Notes: San Diego is in a clear rebuild for S93. The team's draft was mostly focused on using a limited pool of picks to find developmental projects. It may take until season 94 but some of those picks could be future stars. I'd predict Stanton @horoscope is once again going to be on the move at the TDL with the goal of San Diego recuperating after being fleeced in the Gretzky trade. They are also the only team in the M without a goalie after trading Wazinski @samthemancub. A few are available in open Free Agency but it appears their agents are fiercely negotiating and leaving the Marlins in a tough spot. To spotlight a positive, the most glaring hole for SDM is the forwards which are the most common spot for first gens to settle in so maybe some waivers save the day. 

image.png.7fa32751764fa7a2a04de7e7fe5c0107.png
Overall Rank: 9th
Overall Score: 28.22

Forwards Rank: 7th
Forwards Score: 34.53
Defensemen Rank: 10th
Defensemen Score: 3.55
Goalies Rank: 6th
Goalies Score: 58.60
Draft Grade: C-
Notes: The Marauders are the polar opposites of the San Diego. They do have the advantage of a deep center core which leaves some flexibility for trades with a team like Las Vegas who has... calculating... zero Cs. They also do have a backup goalie so maybe the potential for a trade with San Diego for one of those Defensemen they have. Moves will need to be made and @Ricer13 showed his willingness to make trade at the deadline of S92 during his stint as Saskatoon's interim GM. 

image.png.0c2847afff5bf636d14e99352b61d05b.png
Overall Rank: 8th
Overall Score: 29.62

Forwards Rank: 9th
Forwards Score: 6.23
Defensemen Rank: 7th
Defensemen Score: 45.20
Goalies Rank: 4th
Goalies Score: 68.60
Draft Grade: D
Notes: The reigning champs once again find themselves low on my rankings and maybe they'll shock me again. This team has good depth on defense but none of those players are coming out the gate as stars. They also boast the second roster so far with less forwards than defenders. One of the key factors in this low score admittedly is Krupis's @hedgehog337 0 applied TPE but they need depth badly. Unlike San Diego this team has a goalie and a damn solid one at that. With the right waiver additions and MUCH MORE EARNING from the Jinns, I expect a similar rise as I predicted for Houston last season. 

image.png.155f36dd1c6f8d93ab7c0d62a53b6682.png
Overall Rank: 7th
Overall Score: 38.68

Forwards Rank: 4th
Forwards Score: 43.67
Defensemen Rank: 9th
Defensemen Score: 21.75
Goalies Rank: 7th
Goalies Score: 57.60
Draft Grade: B-
Notes: 
This is the first team that has a great foundation in my opinion to grow a lot. They are going to rely on some waivers and their goalie is in my estimation a weakness, but I like the base. Strong vets on the D-core that will likely be capped by season's end. Two star forwards that could put up numbers like Ivanov and Shotzky last season. In fact, according to my metrics the Hounds have the 1st and 4th best forwards in the VHLM to start the season. Once again, they need some work but the foundation will be enough to keep them hovering .500 until they get some support. 

image.png.6e36e8db79fce165c519b19f08ef3968.png
Overall Rank: 6th
Overall Score: 38.85

Forwards Rank: 5th
Forwards Score: 43.23
Defensemen Rank: 7th
Defensemen Score: 30.85
Goalies Rank: 10th
Goalies Score: 41.70
Draft Grade: D+
Notes: This may sound odd based on their ranking, but last year's title favorites are in a rebuild. The primary reason for their appearance in this position is they have depth. Eight wingers grace their roster with, as stated earlier, no centers. Options exist in the free agent market but a trade between Miami and Las Vegas feels natural. Ricer and @McLovin did manage a trade last season that saw Annie Oaks move. Goaltending is a weakness currently but maybe McLovin's guidance can get Cavill @Firekiss back on track in their development.

image.png.e83712511033c9ccbf220bc33615f62e.png
Overall Rank: 5th
Overall Score: 39.07

Forwards Rank: 6th
Forwards Score: 40.87
Defensemen Rank: 1st

Defensemen Score: 55.90
Goalies Rank: 8th
Goalies Score: 55.20

Draft Grade: B
Notes: The rookie GM made some solid moves on draft night and made the Piffcast Pick of the Draft, brought to you by Gatorade, with their selection of Anthony Simmons II @Starchychaff at 28th overall. Great locker room presence and a solid build to boot. This team much like last season is built on its defense, but with a potential downgrade in net. Hellebuyck @HockeyFan4Life could develop into the top tier but this season has ton of talent in net and it just feels like he is just a step behind. With a few waiver additions to the forward core, Mexico could be a contender soon.

image.png.ed0096bb38a91f88fb4e8235271c1f32.png
Overall Rank: 4th
Overall Score: 40.47

Forwards Rank: 8th
Forwards Score: 31.23
Defensemen Rank: 8th
Defensemen Score: 25.60
Goalies Rank: 1st
Goalies Score: 97.90
Draft Grade: C-
Notes: 
The draft wasn't that great due to last year's deadline moves from @AJW. There is hope in the form of a returning player. This team is eerily similar to the Reapers of last season. They have pretty rough skaters. The forwards are weak but numerous, the defense has stars but no depth. Goaltending could save this team and carry them. We will see if the meta of the VHLM teams becomes "have a great goalie or bust" if they win it all.

image.png.fb1f5669163776f0fed5c4cafc30307a.png
Overall Rank: 3rd
Overall Score: 43.78

Forwards Rank: 3rd
Forwards Score: 43.90
Defensemen Rank: 6th
Defensemen Score: 36.20
Goalies Rank: 5th
Goalies Score: 58.60
Draft Grade: A-
Notes: 
New GM @LucyXpher really showed poise in this draft and I liked the picks. Simard in the 5th was a candidate for pick of the draft. Overall the class followed the foundation that Mississauga was going for but with more selections to have depth. Lucy took some "projects" but overall I see the vision of rebuilding the 21st locker room as a priority over competition. Still a great roster was built. I think if Dylan decides to actually use some TPE then Halifax will be a total threat!

image.png.c8e07f565738f1fa40eb244f67fd9f06.png
Overall Rank: 2nd
Overall Score: 53.70

Forwards Rank: 2nd
Forwards Score: 45.33
Defensemen Rank: 2nd
Defensemen Score: 53.90
Goalies Rank: 2nd
Goalies Score: 78.40
Draft Grade: A
Notes: 
Jack of all trades, master of none, but still better than one. This team is not the best at anything but they are great up and down the lineup. They have star power and depth everywhere. Most importantly, they have a star goalie! Something this franchise has desperately been lacking for a long long time was addressed with a trade to the Las Vegas Aces. This is a roster that will change very little from now until the end but will be solid that whole time. I see them cruising to a top finish in the east while other teams find their footing. A lot of pressure will fall on Jillian Woods @jacobcarson877 as they are the top defenseman in the league which means expectations.

image.png.2f3333797d284af532a56b683a34312d.png
Overall Rank: 1st
Overall Score: 58.22

Forwards Rank: 1st
Forwards Score: 56.77
Defensemen Rank: 3rd
Defensemen Score: 53.10
Goalies Rank: 3rd
Goalies Score: 72.80
Draft Grade: A+
Notes:
The new GM did great but I think we have to give a specific shoutout to Ricer for this draft after last season's deadline that saw the Wild perfectly set up for a good class in S93 while still making the playoffs. This team boasts a most impressive top end in Oliver Loo @Misty and the returning Leo Neelson III @silentnyrf31 while the defense also looks poised to shock us with draftees like Lazlo Holmes @Gustav  and Carson Tripp @Cartripp14. Also what a nice move in getting Da TypThond @Erik with the last pick. If it wasn't for reports from my sources that he is a non factor in the locker room, this would have been my pick of the draft.

Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful S93!

• 3 weeks later...