Rebranding The Dynamo

A case could be made that New York is in need of a rebrand to lose the stench of mediocrity and the longest cup draught in recorded history. And one would not be wrong. I am a loyal member/player, but I must admit that the Americans could use a new logo, as the existing one is kind of bland.

However, this is article is not about the Empire State franchise, this is about my real life nemesis: Davos.

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against the VHL franchise located in the Swiss Eastern Alps. In fact, I am proud that a Swiss team exists in the VHL and Davos, due to its record championships as well as the Spengler Cup is the obvious choice. So why shit on them?

Because the sound of Davos alone is enough to grind my gears being a supporter of the much superior EV Zug. While the Davos Dynamo has a certain appeal with its alliteration, the suffix 'Dynamo' was traditionally used in the Eastern Hemisphere during the cold war era I grew up in. Names like Dynamo Dresden (GDR), Dynamo Kiev, Dynamo Moscow and Dynamo Riga (all former USSR, now Ukraine, Russia and Latvia respectively) were the poster clubs of the Warsaw Pact states in Football and Hockey respectively and the bane of the clubs hosted in the self proclaimed 'free world'. Therefore, the combination 'Dynamo' with any Swiss club sounds wrong. Especially, since we were the odd one out, being close to the border of the two power blocks at the time, and continously fearing for our freedom and independence.

So I would suggest to relocate Davos to Zug. The latter is not at the brink of Switzerland, but smack in the middle and is arguably more international, due to many global companies having their headquarters in said city. I will admit it has not the same glamour as Davos with its WEF and the high society spending their ski holidays there. On the other hand it is a trading hub and a fair share of ressources (metals and oil chief amongst them) are going through Zug (mostly on paper and not in physical form).

stadt-city-mit-parktower-und-zugersee-sc

City of Zug at sunset

Now I was thinking of using Bulls as the new logo as Zug used to be a well known cattle market. But this business has been overshadowed by the aforementioned trading companies. So we could use the name Oilers and keep the logo as it is. The mountains are so typically Swiss that they fit any location in my home country. And whether it is a non-existing dynamo (a widget to transfer kinetic energy into electrical one) or non-existent oil that is represented by the mountain, does not really matter. 

I even think we should keep the colour, as blue and white (the Zug coat of arms hues) are too common place and purple is a welcome change. It certainly is not my favourite shade of the rainbow, but I am willing to accept this.  

So there it is, my suggestion for a rebranding and now I am going to buggy on out before Ahma locates my whereabouts and sends me an angry letter.