Malmo Nighthawks Team Press Conference

On 8/27/2024 at 9:01 PM, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

Week of: September 1, 2024

Answer these six questions for 2 TPE

1. If you had to predict the MVP at this juncture, who would it be?

2. What netminder, now that some of the leagues greats have retired, has taken the forefront and is your current pick to win Top Goalie?

3. The VHL Theme Week was announced recently and it is all about rookies.  Next season, you are in charge…what would the topic be for theme week?

4. I am currently sitting in my new apartment in horrifyingly awful heat…what luxury do you think you couldn’t live without? (No pets or anything like that)

5. Which NHL player does your VHL player emulate the best and why?

6. Which is your favourite season of the year and why?

1) I'm going with Jacob Stone still. Leading defenseman and 6th overall in scoring with big hit & blocked shot numbers and a +30 rating to go with it. There's probably a case for Bobandy, Anand, and a couple guys from Moscow as well.

2) I think 36W might be the guy this year, he's got a bit of a lead in save percentage so far and that's probably the best goalie stat to go on. But I wouldn't be surprised if Olober Syko ends up taking it. That would've been my pre-season pick.

3) I always enjoy reading draft content both IRL and in the VHL, so prospects / the draft would be a cool theme.

4) A little on the nose given the context of your question, but air conditioning has gotta be right up there for me.

5) Rave is a big, strong centre with a great shot, hard to knock off the puck, but not particularly physical - so something like a Tage Thompson maybe? At the optimistic end a Leon Draisaitl type. Hopefully he plays like that over the rest of his career.

6) I like spring and fall because I like the weather. Forced to pick between the two I probably prefer fall.

On 8/27/2024 at 9:01 PM, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

Week of: September 1, 2024

1. If you had to predict the MVP at this juncture, who would it be?

2. What netminder, now that some of the leagues greats have retired, has taken the forefront and is your current pick to win Top Goalie?

3. The VHL Theme Week was announced recently and it is all about rookies.  Next season, you are in charge…what would the topic be for theme week?

4. I am currently sitting in my new apartment in horrifyingly awful heat…what luxury do you think you couldn’t live without? (No pets or anything like that)

5. Which NHL player does your VHL player emulate the best and why?

6. Which is your favourite season of the year and why?

1. This is really tough, but it does seem like to win it you have to really stand out on your team. I know they aren't a playoff team right now, but honestly W. W. from New York could be the top candidate if they can improve their save percentage a bit and the Americans climb up the standings. New York's offense is atrocious, and while the play of their defense is also a big part of the reason that they allow the fewest goals, W. W. has been far and away the best player on this team. So while I think W. W. will not get much attention for Most Outstanding, I think they could be a top MVP candidate.

2. W. W. for sure. I predicted Merome Dilson at the beginning of the season, but I seem to have gotten that wrong. Olober Syko has underperformed but I think they should become a perennial candidate for Top Goalie.

3. Family.

4. Indoor plumbing

5. Look, I had to Google "top NHL defensemen" and I recognized like four of the names, if that tells you anything about my NHL knowledge. So to say who my VHL player emulates would be impossible. But the article I found had Cale Makar as number one on the list so obviously I'm going to say Cale Makar.

6. Summer is too hot. Winter is too cold. Spring is too wet. Fall is perfect. Obviously to say it's perfect is an exaggeration, but it's the best time of the year, and it's not particularly close in my mind.

PRESS CONFERENCE

Week of: September 8th, 2024

1. Randy Bobandy is currently just one point shy of the league lead in points, and looks like one of the leading MVP candidates. Do you think he is the likely MVP winner? If not, who is?

2. For as long as I have been in the BoG, we hadn’t really looked at international accomplishments. Do you think the Board of Governors should consider International Play more when it comes to deciding Hall of Fame members? 

3. The GMOTY (David Knight Trophy) has long been considered a regular season award that doesn’t really weigh playoff success.  Do you think this should change and why or why not?

4. Hey look at that, you won a huge Lottery Sweepstakes and are now a multi million dollar winner.  What are you doing with it?

5. The Malmo Nighthawks are once again an amazing team, what has @KaleebtheMighty meant to you as a GM (I say as someone who has been really impressed with him my entire stay on the team)?

6. What is your go-to place to eat when you don’t feel like cooking?

1 hour ago, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1. Randy Bobandy is currently just one point shy of the league lead in points, and looks like one of the leading MVP candidates. Do you think he is the likely MVP winner? If not, who is?

2. For as long as I have been in the BoG, we hadn’t really looked at international accomplishments. Do you think the Board of Governors should consider International Play more when it comes to deciding Hall of Fame members? 

3. The GMOTY (David Knight Trophy) has long been considered a regular season award that doesn’t really weigh playoff success.  Do you think this should change and why or why not?

4. Hey look at that, you won a huge Lottery Sweepstakes and are now a multi million dollar winner.  What are you doing with it?

5. The Malmo Nighthawks are once again an amazing team, what has @KaleebtheMighty meant to you as a GM (I say as someone who has been really impressed with him my entire stay on the team)?

1) Shubham Anand stands out with a big lead in goals and being right up there in points. Stone and Bocage too. Seems like a tight race to me but Bobandy is definitely in the mix.

2) I don't think so. I don't think it gets considered a ton with the HHoF in real life unless it was players that didn't get the chance to play in the NHL (although it probably does a little bit) and it would feel weird to see it prioritized much. I also think the international play in the VHL is kinda broken so that probably factors into it too.

3) I think since the awards in general are regular season awards I don't really mind that the David Knight Trophy is also one, and besides that I don't think heavily tying it to teams that go on long playoff runs is really necessary (if it ended up creating a heavy overlap between the Knight and Continental Cup, then it seems kind of redundant). What I do think should change about the Knight trophy is the criteria that seems to be used for it overall -- creating a consistent contender with stability is the hardest thing to do, is undeniably great GMing, and yet when you heavily weight stuff like trade activity, season-to-season improvement, etc. in GMotY voting it actually kind of gets punished.

4) Of course the first thing I'd do is pay off debt and then invest a decent chunk of it. Make sure my family can live comfortably. I've mentioned before that I'm a competitive 5-pin bowler. Now one thing with that is that 5-pin competition, unlike 10-pin, does not have a lot of money in it, and something I've always said I'd do if I ever won the lottery is buy some space, put a bowling alley/arcade combo in there and then host a tournament there with some extra contributions to the prize fund. Granted, still nothing that would set anyone up for life or anything, but it would be pretty sweet to have a tournament where you're playing for a $50k first place prize instead of $7 or 8k at the high end. 

5) He's been awesome, he's always communicating and letting the team know what's up, and going back to my answer for 3) a little bit, he has pretty much done what I think is the toughest thing to do - building a consistent contender for a sustained period of time.

6) I really want to say Taco Bell for the memes, but it's probably Wendy's

58 minutes ago, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1. He's winning MVP!!!!! No doubt no doubt!

2. Yeah why not, it's part of the game too and maybe we'll see more folk heroes inducted.

3. I mean most leagues do it by regular season anyways, in the playoffs anything can happen and basing it off regular season takes away some of the randomness and bases it more off actual merit idk 

4. I am buying a 2001 Toyota Corolla, I'm putting money aside to pay some bills and I'm investing the rest. I won't change a thing about how I'm living apart from that though.

5. He keeps a great vibe in the team LR, its probably one of the most active rooms and very positive. He's also loyal to his players!! I would love to see this team go deep in the playoffs, Kaleeb has done an amazing job creating a competitive team for as many seasons as my player has been in the VHL

6. Might get a Subway sandwich or some A&W.

On 9/4/2024 at 6:42 PM, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1. I don't know how the MVP is picked but he is in a good position to be one.
2. I really don't know how that impacts the HOF stuff. Sounds important though.
3. I think the playoffs should be included. What's the point of doing something amazing during the season and not do well in the playoffs.
4. I really can't think of anything other than a hot tub and super models.
5. Kaleeb is a great person and Malmo is much better off with him at the helm.
6. I would settle for a pizza, or ice cream, or both.

On 9/4/2024 at 7:42 PM, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1. We've been slumping and he's probably fallen too far behind to win it. The fact that he's leading Malmo in points by a wide margin is a point in his favor, as our offense would be much worse without him, but I think voters may not like that he's not primarily a goal scorer. I think right now David Rashford may be the favorite.

2. If anything, I would say that maybe outstanding international accomplishments should be considered to maybe give someone that extra push that they need, but I don't think poor international play should be held against anyone.

3. No, I don't think that should change, but I also don't think standings placement in the regular season should really matter as much as others seem to believe it does either. I know there is the aspect of managing the players that you do have, setting lines and strategies, so if someone does well with a team that on paper looks bad, credit to them. I think even a rebuilding GM should have a shot at the award if they drafted well and made astute trades.

4. Paying off my student loans and mortgage. Depending on how many multiple millions we are talking about, maybe buying a house (currently have a condo). Definitely going to invest a lot of it. I'll definitely be taking a real vacation, because I've never treated myself to anything like that.

5. When I joined this team in Season 88, I told him that I wanted to play with the team for nine seasons. My honest expectation was that we'd be serious contenders beginning around Season 91 through maybe Season 94, peaking in S92/S93. And I would have been fine with that. I would have been okay finishing out the last couple seasons of my career on a non-playoff team, but he has done a great job keeping us competitive longer than I anticipated.

6. Chipotle. It helps that there is one near the stores where I do most of my shopping. Before I moved last year, there was a Chipotle a little over a mile away that I would run to, get a burrito, and eat it while walking home. There was also a burger place about 1.5 miles away that I liked, and would do the same. There's not much that close to me now, but I guess that should mean that I get more running done.

PRESS CONFERENCE

Week of: September 15th, 2024

1. The Nighthawks have finished second place in the European Conference (and in the entire VHL), who was the unsung hero of the team this season?

2. Which teams in the VHL could use a total rebrand in your opinion?

3. I’ve been really focused on my fantasy football over the last few weeks.  Who is your pick to win the Super Bowl? If you don’t watch American football at all, give me your opinion on Kendrick Lamar being named the half time show performer.

4. Can you grow facial hair? If you can, what is your favourite look you’ve ever sported? (I say as someone embarrassed about my chinstrap days)

5. Honest prediction…after so many years of troubling playoff runs.  How are we going to do this time?

6. Tomorrow I have decided I am going to start taking care of myself better by trying to go on consistent walks and maybe hit the gym up again.  What is one thing you feel like you need to improve upon in your life to reach a certain goal in mind?

18 hours ago, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1. The Nighthawks have finished second place in the European Conference (and in the entire VHL), who was the unsung hero of the team this season?

3. I’ve been really focused on my fantasy football over the last few weeks.  Who is your pick to win the Super Bowl? If you don’t watch American football at all, give me your opinion on Kendrick Lamar being named the half time show performer.

4. Can you grow facial hair? If you can, what is your favourite look you’ve ever sported? (I say as someone embarrassed about my chinstrap days)

5. Honest prediction…after so many years of troubling playoff runs.  How are we going to do this time?

6. Tomorrow I have decided I am going to start taking care of myself better by trying to go on consistent walks and maybe hit the gym up again.  What is one thing you feel like you need to improve upon in your life to reach a certain goal in mind?

1. Unsung hero @Advantage for putting in huge work on the second line and dropping great press conference questions every week!!

2. The Americans and London... And Oslo in the VHLE.

3. Superbowl pick the Minnesota Vikings because why not, some crazy odds on that but. No one should ever get into beef with Kendrick ever again man 😂 " 🎶 big as the Superbowl 🎶"

4. Can't really, super patchy, thin, and short... In a few years I'll be good but for now it's not great 👍 

5. I go to bed restless every night thinking about our playoff runs... We have been probably the best and most consistent regular season team the last 5 seasons but, this is our year.

6. I've been really good this year so far about studying, school, etc. I really want to start running more consistently again I just have to work it into my schedule again.

On 9/12/2024 at 8:39 PM, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1. I'll say Phillip Rave. We had a lot of pretty good goal scorers, but Rave led the team by quite a bit and hasn't really gotten much attention for it at all.

2. New York Americans should become the Yukon Rush. That's my dream. London would be my other top choice. I'm not a fan of red/white/blue as a color scheme. If not both of them changing, at least one of them should. They are kind of redundant.

3. I'll go with a homer pick and say the Vikings, justifying it only with the fact that RJMW said them before I did, and therefore it is a legit pick.

4. Not really. I can grow a goatee I guess, but my facial hair growth on my cheeks is patchy.

5. Honest prediction? We get past Riga and lose to Moscow. We did win 2/3 of those recent games, but they outshot us by quite a bit and I don't think we can afford to need Lovstrom to have a 0.950+ save percentage against them. Then again, if our failed playoff runs have taught me anything it's that we can't trust anything about how the regular season went.

6. I can think of a lot of things. Start working out. Get back into running or at least going for more walks. Particularly, get into a routine with these things. My work even has a fitness center so I have no excuses. I guess I'd say the thing I need to improve on us limiting my screen time at night. I need to treat myself like I'm my own child or something. No screens after 9:30, asleep by 10:30, alarm set for 6. That'll improve my sleep from where it is now, and gives me some extra time in the morning to maybe go for a morning run. Honestly, I should probably aim for more sleep than that, but I think that's probably where I start. I think a better night time routine would do a lot of good for me.

On 9/12/2024 at 8:39 PM, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1) I think RJ was kind of playing in some guys' shadows this season and dropped a big 94-point season, let's go with him.

2) Mostly London I guess. I think New York Americans is fine actually, but London is basically just a variant of it and having them both in the same league is weird.

3) I think KC is the best team in the league again but that's a boring prediction, so I'll say Tampa Bay instead.

4) Yeah but I don't do anything in particular lol, too lazy for that :P

5) I'd like to think we can't lose in the first round without offering any resistance AGAIN. I don't see any reason we can't win it all, there's always a little luck involved though.

6) I'm a pretty bad procrastinator and trying to work on doing better at that.

PRESS CONFERENCE

Week of: September 22nd, 2024

1. The Nighthawks are facing the Riga Reign in the first round.  Who wins the series and in how many games?

2. Who do you think will lead our team in scoring versus the Reign?

3. Riga boasts a powerful offense led by Shubham Anand and Axle Gunner.  How do we stop them and who is going to be our key to doing so during the first round?

4. After the European Conference had the only three 50 win teams this season, would you make any changes (like crossover or seeding teams 1-10) to make it a little more even all-around?

5. Besides our own playoff matchup, is there a particular other one that you have your eyes set on? (Can be any league)

6. You can build the perfect Malmo Nighthawk player.  Whose skating, shooting, playmaking, defensive play and physicality are you taking? Feel free to select five different players or mix and mash them a bit more. 

10 minutes ago, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1. The Nighthawks are facing the Riga Reign in the first round.  Who wins the series and in how many games?

3. Riga boasts a powerful offense led by Shubham Anand and Axle Gunner.  How do we stop them and who is going to be our key to doing so during the first round?

4. After the European Conference had the only three 50 win teams this season, would you make any changes (like crossover or seeding teams 1-10) to make it a little more even all-around?

5. Besides our own playoff matchup, is there a particular other one that you have your eyes set on? (Can be any league)

6. You can build the perfect Malmo Nighthawk player.  Whose skating, shooting, playmaking, defensive play and physicality are you taking? Feel free to select five different players or mix and mash them a bit more. 

1) Malmo in 6

2) I'm going to go with Bobandy, but I could see Stone or Rave too

3) Just have to play good defense against them. They're a largely one-line team compared to us so if we can stay even with them when their big guns are out it's a great situation for us. Any time you look at defending, Stone is probably the key player we're looking at.

4) Nah, it's got a more realistic feel when sorted into geographic conferences and imbalances like this are cyclical. I think sometimes there is too much focus on making the first round of the playoff bracket "fair" when at the end of the day the playoffs are there to determine a league champion and you're going to have to either beat a team or beat someone who beat them if you want to win it all.

5) I'm kind of paying attention to Cologne in the final VHLE playoffs this year because I'm a former Express and they've built such a strong program, I think it would be a perfect way to send off the league with Cologne on top. And of course the other EU first round matchup since that's who we'll play next round if we advance.

6) Using each player only once,

Skating - Jensen

Shooting - Rave

Playmaking - Bobandy

Defense - Stone

Physicality - Tzesar

Edited by tcookie

3 minutes ago, Advantage said:

PRESS CONFERENCE

1. 4-0 Malmoooo 4-0 Malmoooo *knock on wood 1000 times*

2. I usually don't answer myself for these so I can look humble and cool 😎 but RONALD JOHNSON MACWALLACE III *knock on more wood*

3. We've had an incredible defense all season long, and the likes of THE GREAT JORGEN LOVSTROM in goal, Anand and Gunner will easily be shut down and the regular season will prove to have been a fluke for them! *My hand is hurting from knocking on wood*

4. If Malmo wins the cup this season then the seeding is perfect, if not we need a complete overhaul of the system!! *knock knock*

5. The Moscow series of course... We've had our struggles against them in the playoffs recently.

6. Skating - Jensen

Shooting - Rave

Playmaking - Bobandy

Defense - Stone

Physicality - Tzesar

7 minutes ago, tcookie said:

6) Using each player only once,

Skating - Jensen

Shooting - Rave

Playmaking - Bobandy

Defense - Stone

Physicality - Tzesar

Haha, I notice you're missing someone really good (jk jk it's th exact same list that I have 😅)